Deaf Girl--Hearing Boyfriend

Shoshana

Reaction score
I am in a relationship with a wonderful guy. I am Deaf, have a CI in my right ear but is FAR from perfect since I had Cochlea AND nerve related hearing loss. It is a lot of work to "hear" and often struggle. I rely on lip reading, which as you guys know is also not perfect and a lot of work plus very frustrating!! I sign, and it takes a lot of weight off me when people can sign to communicate and I am often more comfortable signing (though my family doesn't sign).

Communication is two way street, and I am doing my part by lip-reading and doing my best to "hear". I am lucky my Boyfriend is willing to learn to sign!

I am very happy he is willing to learn, and he is very supportive. I Love him a lot and can see us being married in the future :ily:

Any advice to help him learn? Special games, flash cards, or other learning assist things?

:ty:

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 76
that is awesome I am surprised really you teach hearing your boyfriend how learn ASL encourage to your skill communication, pretty complication tough!

ASLPro.com has a video dictionary and Lifeprint.com has some basic tutorials.

Good luck you two! You both seem like wonderful people. :)

Thanks Kbnyc! ASLPRO.com is great! I was thinking about stickers or cards to put around the house but cant seem to find any for this purpose.

Thanks Kbnyc! ASLPRO.com is great! I was thinking about stickers or cards to put around the house but cant seem to find any for this purpose.

ASL Instruction

You might check here. I don't know too much about them, but I see a lot of their advertising around.

I like that yellow lab on the left.

As for ASL, my girlfriend has used aslpro with great result to learn fingerspelling. She is now learning ASL signs. She and her Mom may be taking ASL classes at local college to learn ASL.

I think you can take ASL at your local college cheap without getting any college credits.

I like that yellow lab on the left.

As for ASL, my girlfriend has used aslpro with great result to learn fingerspelling. She is now learning ASL signs. She and her Mom may be taking ASL classes at local college to learn ASL.

I think you can take ASL at your local college cheap without getting any college credits.

Great idea! Ill look into local community college and see if they have it here.

Great idea! Ill look into local community college and see if they have it here.

Let me know what you find out. I don't know how to go about looking and am clueless regarding the costs. When I email for info, they never answer.

great find! I'm trying to learn and teach my guy as well how to sign. He finger spells but that can get irritating quick when its word by word lol.

Welcome. I hope you can find one that fits your schedule too. :wave: The teacher there is extremely well qualified.

Well - the instructor I would really love to have, her classes are on Saturdays and I can't get those, another class is on Monday and Wednesday nights, that's a no go as MIL is going back to weight loss group on Mondays, then the last class is Tues & Thurs. That's doable, but the cost is more than I can afford and they do not take any kind of financial aid for a single class. The cost is $225 for 20 weeks, 2 nights a week, 3 hours each night.

Well - the instructor I would really love to have, her classes are on Saturdays and I can't get those, another class is on Monday and Wednesday nights, that's a no go as MIL is going back to weight loss group on Mondays, then the last class is Tues & Thurs. That's doable, but the cost is more than I can afford and they do not take any kind of financial aid for a single class. The cost is $225 for 20 weeks, 2 nights a week, 3 hours each night.

Wow, I would be interested to see what local college in Grand Rapids, MI area charges my girlfriend and her Mom.

Wow, I would be interested to see what local college in Grand Rapids, MI area charges my girlfriend and her Mom.

One of the colleges I checked with when I was in Missouri, said it was $630 for one semester of ASL 1 classes.

Back