Deaf folks: What is your occupation, and educational background?

I know little about the Deaf community and I never thought any time in my life that Deaf people couldn't drive, have an education, or work a normal job. I have no idea why some Hearing people think Deaf people are not able to do those things.

I think some hearing people are born without a brain.

I have asked many questions on All Deaf forums and I have learned a lot. I don't know why there are some who have me on their hit list? I know nothing about the Deaf community and I joined these forums so I can learn the basics. None of my posts or threads were not meant to hurt people; if I did, it was purely unintentional. I want to learn! What made you think I thought Deaf people can't work?

As for me, I am a manager at department store and looking for a new career. I am currently a student at a small community college. I want to research about ASL and get to know deaf people.

I think....when people come here a bit fascinated with ASL and asking questions, mainly about ASL, it makes the Deaf feel a little like gold fish in a bowl. Oddities maybe, something to be studied, it's a bit dehumanizing.

Just don't tap on our glass! That makes me angry.... :mad:

I work as a P.A. here in a mostly Triage hospital. I suppose I don't see any harm in asking my job, as it is merely an "ice breaker" question so to speak. :P

I think....when people come here a bit fascinated with ASL and asking questions, mainly about ASL, it makes the Deaf feel a little like gold fish in a bowl. Oddities maybe, something to be studied, it's a bit dehumanizing.

I think I will just keep asking because majority of the people here are nice and are helpful.

I work as a P.A. here in a mostly Triage hospital. I suppose I don't see any harm in asking my job, as it is merely an "ice breaker" question so to speak. :P

Awww!!!! I wanted to tap at it!!!! Thays always fun!!( ok seriously im just joking)

I think I will just keep asking because majority of the people here are nice and are helpful.

:shock: What?

Psychology major. Early retirement from working with animals, due to health.

Now just spend time analyzing and marveling over the people of the internet.

I didn't answer because I'm not Deaf, and I wasn't deaf when I went to school ;) although I chose my occupation because of my hearing loss, but at the time I went to school I had severe loss and didn't require any accommodations. I wondered if that was pertainant to the question ;) it's now oh about 5 years since I graduated and I'm deaf now.

But I'll answer, I'm a massage therapist.

Edit, I should clarify that grade school and highschool I was hearing, tech school in my 30s I had hearing loss.

I didn't answer because I'm not Deaf, and I wasn't deaf when I went to school ;) although I chose my occupation because of my hearing loss, but at the time I went to school I had severe loss and didn't require any accommodations. I wondered if that was pertainant to the question ;) it's now oh about 5 years since I graduated and I'm deaf now.

But I'll answer, I'm a massage therapist.

I knew why you didn't answer. :) Though, I still think your opinion counts Amb. :)

I knew why you didn't answer. :) Though, I still think your opinion counts Amb. :)

Awwww thanks :) I know my outlook and experience was vastly different from most posters, so sometimes I don't think questions apply to me.

Awwww thanks :) I know my outlook and experience was vastly different from most posters, so sometimes I don't think questions apply to me.

Dang, you got rock hard arms. I bet you're an excellent massage therapist.

I have been to a place they have here called Massage Envy. They're usually always quite awesome, I've had really good luck with them. :P

How much you charge an hour? I go to some lady down the street and she charges $80 an/hour. But she talks too much. Massage therapy is suppose to be quiet.

Exactly!! Actually that's one of things my clients like about me, I don't talk to them. I've never worked for myself, so I don't set prices. I'm not working at all right now. I moved to Texas from SC begining of November but my license for Texas just finished processing last Thursday. I should be in bed right now I have interview in the morning. Had and interview a week ago but I'm not sure exactly when they'll be needing me. It's a franchise and they're in the middle if building another one that will open next month :/ soooooon though I should be working again :D

80s a little steep though. For an hour? It better be deep tissue ;)

I have been to a place they have here called Massage Envy. They're usually always quite awesome, I've had really good luck with them. :P

I worked for ME for 3 years, left there to work for a medical massage clinic, but that went south. I MAY try another massage envy here, their pay is pretty horrible though :/ for industry standards anyway.

Exactly!! Actually that's one of things my clients like about me, I don't talk to them. I've never worked for myself, so I don't set prices. I'm not working at all right now. I moved to Texas from SC begining of November but my license for Texas just finished processing last Thursday. I should be in bed right now I have interview in the morning. Had and interview a week ago but I'm not sure exactly when they'll be needing me. It's a franchise and they're in the middle if building another one that will open next month :/ soooooon though I should be working again :D

80s a little steep though. For an hour? It better be deep tissue ;)

Good luck with your interview tomorrow!!! :D What I always try and tell my brother ( He never listens :doh: ) Low pay is better than no pay. At least it's something until you can locate a better paying job. :D You'll get it done! :D

before i had health problems and a shoulder reconstruction i was a hairdresser. on the massage topic i was at a disability employment services place, i asked about getting into massage therapy,( before shoulder recon) i was shut down saying oh how will you hear the people when they are face down head in the hole that def not suitable for you :/ i always assumed it would make us better seeing we wouldnt talk that much, who wants a massage where your ear is chatted off? my hairdressing clients liked that i didnt chat and chat they could come and relax.

I see dead people. But that doesn't pay. So my paying gig is as an assistant instructor in traditional Japanese martial arts. Goju ryu karate do to be precise.

Anyone ever in the area are welcome to drop in to the dojo.
Hoichi-the earless

I used to be a Keypunch operator/verifier back in the beginning of 1967 and went on to different like Keytape operator/verifier and then Transcripter (one year). Then I went to community college to study for Mental Health program which I did not finished graduating. Then I worked for one year as a housekeeper in the fame Double Tree Hotel in Albuquerque. Then I went to Canada and could not find a job that I need to work. I took up Office Skills to start over and they are not using the typewriters anymore so I had to learn how to use the computer. I love it but hard to find work in the office career. So I have not been working ever since I came to Canada. **sigh**

I would love to go back to the workforce again. So I am retired now. :(

Last edited:
Back