Deaf ex-manager sues Wal-Mart

Cheri

Prayers for my dad.
Premium Member
Reaction score
By STEVEN CHURCH
The News Journal

A deaf woman who worked as a manager for a Wal-Mart store in New Castle has accused the company of violating federal disability regulations by refusing to hire a qualified sign-language interpreter to help her during company meetings and by allowing fellow employees to taunt her.

In a trial that began Monday, a lawyer for Lily Spencer, 40, of New Castle, told jurors that Wal-Mart employees harassed her until she became suicidal and was forced to quit in 2002.

One manager told her she could not be as good an employee as a person with normal hearing and that she had to improve her English skills if she wanted to be promoted, lawyer Alan B. Epstein told jurors in U.S. District Court in Wilmington. Spencer was born in Korea and reads and writes English as a second language, Epstein said.

Company attorney David S. Fryman said Wal-Mart officials did everything they could to help Spencer, promoting her twice, hiring a sign-language interpreter to translate for her during work-related training sessions and offering to give her a different job with better hours after she complained about working on nights and weekends.

"No matter what people of the store tried to do to help her, it was, in her eyes, not good enough," Fryman told the jury of five women and four men.

Spencer began working for the New Castle Wal-Mart in 1999 stocking shelves. When a new manager arrived, her troubles began, Epstein said. He refused to
provide her with an interpreter able to use the only style of sign language she understood, which failed to accommodate her disability as required by federal law, Epstein said.

Fryman said Spencer just didn't get along with the interpreters the company hired for her.

She continued to work for the company and eventually became manager of the
department that over-sees all the goods placed for sale around the cash registers. When she became frustrated by the dispute over the interpreter, she applied for, and was given, a position with the accounting department handling store cash, Epstein said.

In that department, the alleged harassment was so intense that she filed a
complaint with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, which
investigates discrimination complaints filed by employees. The commission
eventually ruled in her favor.

Despite the ruling, the atmosphere at work remained hostile, Epstein said. Spencer became suicidal and was forced to quit for health reasons, Epstein said.

Spencer is expected to tell her story to the jury today with the help of two interpreters, Epstein said. The trial is expected to end Thursday or Friday.

it's sorta true... Wal-mart need to be educated about getting interpreators for people who need one. I work at Wal-Mart supercenter for nearly a year now and they never got a interpreator for me at all but luckily I could lipread some of them... it's hard to find a good job with good benefits so I have to take Walmart's crap to hire me...

Yeah it took awhile for Walmart to adapt with people with disabilities. Walmart is so concerned with budget and refuses to accompany services for the disabled. So much for Walmart's commitments to the community which Walmart spent $150 million in the year 2003 alone!

I'm not so surprise about this, after all it happens in alot of places not just Walmarts, and it funni because Walmart had this commercial with this employee lady who sign to this customer who couldn't hear, and how Walmarts care about people who are different and treat their customer right....funni cause they don't treat their own employees the same way...makes me wonder why they did that ? maybe for the money? maybe they want more customers? I dunno....but it seem that people sell things or being on commercial just to get more business....

If Walmart has hire this person then they should know better that they need an interpreter for such a meeting...

I feel bad for this lady and for many more who is struggling for their rights...

Some Hearing people actually think this world is only for hearing people, I would think again if I were them.... ;)

whoa!!! oh boy!!! but here walmart, my deaf friend work there for 5 yrs, still get interpeter there whenever have a meeting.. she is lucky!

^Angel^ said:
I'm not so surprise about this, after all it happens in alot of places not just Walmarts, and it funni because Walmart had this commercial with this employee lady who sign to this customer who couldn't hear, and how Walmarts care about people who are different and treat their customer right....funni cause they don't treat their own employees the same way...makes me wonder why they did that ? maybe for the money? maybe they want more customers? I dunno....but it seem that people sell things or being on commercial just to get more business....

If Walmart has hire this person then they should know better that they need an interpreter for such a meeting...

I feel bad for this lady and for many more who is struggling for their rights...

Some Hearing people actually think this world is only for hearing people, I would think again if I were them.... ;)
Maybe, they really do work with deaf people. It's probably the deaf employee that's trying to sue for no reason. I've seen cases where deaf people sue because they couldn't get an interpreter. However, they never requested one so it was their own fault.

RIT is very supportive with interpreters, but they can't do the work properly if you don't tell them anything.

That is the reason why we have this ADA laws to protect the Deaf and Hard of hearing people etc..If they feel their rights are taken away, then go sue them....

As you can see that people out there are suing people over silly things...so this lady isn't suing over silly thing but she is suing because her rights were violated as to having access to an interpreter....

Maybe that will teach the people out in this world not to mess with Deaf people LOL...

possible...

Dont u think its possible that that woman sued walmart because the interpreter didn't fit her needs. Maybe they hired a cued speech interpreter while that woman use ASL. Walmart may say that they provided a interpreter and that meets ADA requirement, but in that woman's eyes, it doesnt meet ADA requirement because she uses ASL not cued speech so this is the situation where it becomes sticky, and it might have been what happened in this women's case.

Vampy, as you said that you are sick of deaf people suing to get money, but how can you say that? people wouldnt waste their money for lawyer, fees and blah just to sue when they know they have the probability they may lose and waste their money versus the chances of winning. Those who have the strong intention to sue tend to be with very valid reason with a strong case supporting the claim and not abusing the law because IT COST alot of money just to file a lawsuit.

~Kitty

it is full of crap !!! why would wal mart concern about money while wal mart keep spread spend on all over the world to set up new store for wal mart ... They should know better than that ... even the ceo should education to all wal mart about ADA it is their jobs !!! that what i think it should be ...

Kitty82 said:
Dont u think its possible that that woman sued walmart because the interpreter didn't fit her needs. Maybe they hired a cued speech interpreter while that woman use ASL. Walmart may say that they provided a interpreter and that meets ADA requirement, but in that woman's eyes, it doesnt meet ADA requirement because she uses ASL not cued speech so this is the situation where it becomes sticky, and it might have been what happened in this women's case.

Vampy, as you said that you are sick of deaf people suing to get money, but how can you say that? people wouldnt waste their money for lawyer, fees and blah just to sue when they know they have the probability they may lose and waste their money versus the chances of winning. Those who have the strong intention to sue tend to be with very valid reason with a strong case supporting the claim and not abusing the law because IT COST alot of money just to file a lawsuit.

~Kitty
You say that they have to fit her needs. Well, did she specifically tell them what kind of interpreter she needed? Maybe, they didn't know exactly what kind of interpreter she needed... or there wasn't one available. :dunno: Like I said, it's her job to inform others exactly what she needs... not just say "I need an intepreter." "Interpreter" could mean your typical ASL interpreter.

cost...

Vampy.. I'm playing the devil advocate on this one, well u know some certain interpreter cost less than certain ones.. walmart being selfish with money may just shrug and tell that woman to accept the interpreter she was provided, despite the interpreting being lousy, deem unqualified to be a interpreter, or even a lower level certified interpreter with lack of interpreting experience...

Let me say, what if RIT places a VERY lousy interpreter, i mean she states she knows ASL and is wonderful interpreter, but in reality, you couldnt even understand her signing and blah.. and u go to RIT interpreting service department and complain that shes not compenent interpreter and you demand a replacement interrpeter. RIT say sorry, but shes certified interpreter and is deemed qualified to interprete and we already hired her on contractal basis and would lose money if we find replacement.. thats exactly what walmart is doing :)

Think about it! :)

~Kitty

Kitty82 said:
Vampy.. I'm playing the devil advocate on this one, well u know some certain interpreter cost less than certain ones.. walmart being selfish with money may just shrug and tell that woman to accept the interpreter she was provided, despite the interpreting being lousy, deem unqualified to be a interpreter, or even a lower level certified interpreter with lack of interpreting experience...

Let me say, what if RIT places a VERY lousy interpreter, i mean she states she knows ASL and is wonderful interpreter, but in reality, you couldnt even understand her signing and blah.. and u go to RIT interpreting service department and complain that shes not compenent interpreter and you demand a replacement interrpeter. RIT say sorry, but shes certified interpreter and is deemed qualified to interprete and we already hired her on contractal basis and would lose money if we find replacement.. thats exactly what walmart is doing :)

Think about it! :)

~Kitty
Actually, if you have a problem with your interpreter at RIT... they will look into it and do something about it. My friend had problems with her interpreter and complained about her. She got a replacement interpreter later. Secondly, most of the interpreters are monitored and evaluated frequently... so having an interpreter who claims to be skilled but not... isn't gonna happen.

Back