Deaf ex-manager sues Wal-Mart

tekkmortal said:
What is the normal charge for interpreter services? $10 per hour?

People would love a $10 an hr terp! Unfortunately on the realistic platform its $45 to $60 an hour with a 2 hr minimum. Why so high? Ask RID!

Richard

No, the realistic payroll for a top qualified interpreter is 90 dollars an hour. I took an RID Interpreter Workshop over a year ago.

Nesmuth said:
People would love a $10 an hr terp! Unfortunately on the realistic platform its $45 to $60 an hour with a 2 hr minimum. Why so high? Ask RID!

Richard

That is about the same for Wal-Mart assistant manager's wage!

Deaf258 said:
No, the realistic payroll for a top qualified interpreter is 90 dollars an hour. I took an RID Interpreter Workshop over a year ago.

That's highway robbery!

Richard

No wonder so many companies or doctors are balking over giving up that much dough to meet our interpreting needs.

Here it is 40 dollars an hour for a top qualified RID certified terp.

I am blessed to know one doctor office has a nurse who knows how to sign. Hopefully this trend will continue all over doctor offices and maybe companies too.

Wow, the foreign woman named lily spencer possossed $27,000 from wal-mart for that win case.. She smelled $$$$$$ that she wanted. For me, I aint surprise that wal mart always discriminate against the woman's right, on and on forth... I was an x employee for wal mart as unloaded truck. in fact, Wal-Mart company is very discrimination against deaf's rights. because their own view deaf employers in wal-mart always been a subordinate role to hearing people. For exmplain, I want to work as the electronic forklift. because I already had the certificated-license forklift with good expire from pervious work. I proved it to manager during interview before they hired me to work for that company. so I started to work there.. the supervior who work in backroom where stock, material handlers etc.. He won't let me work the electronic forklift. because I am deaf..c'mon! I did talk with manager and supervior what i want and my rights.. they ignored my rights and other list on and on forth.. wal mart's employment's policy and law are deceptive on disablity people.. i want to fight against wal-mart for change system, not looking for money that what i looked for. but my money was not premit me to get lawyer for sue wal-mart's system as discrimincation against deaf communities across U.S.A....

Nesmuth said:
Unfortunately on the realistic platform its $45 to $60 an hour with a 2 hr minimum.
Wow! I wish I made that much per hour. The normal rate for daytime, non-emergency, non-legal, assignment is about $20 per hour. Sometimes mileage is included.
Educational terps get about $50 per day, no mileage.

I know big cities charge more than here in the South.

Walmart

Hello Everyone,

This is the first time I've been on here. Im doing a report on the Justice System for the Deaf Community. I myself is somewhat deaf and went through the same problem that some or most deaf are through with Wal Mart. I am a former cashier associate of Wal Mart who also had been discriminated. I was hired by Wal Mart as a temporary cashier for the holidays of 1999. Shortly after the Christmas holiday I became a permanted associate. Shortly after that I was named employee of the month for January. Pretty fast huh? I received award, pins, and 4 star cashier mooran (dark red) vest. Funny that the whole store knew I was employee of the month. I didnt find out until a month later. A week after that I was told by my boss to start attending the monthly cashier meeting. For 4 months as I never attend to any meeting. I didnt know they exist or that was going on. I requested for an interpreter. She said it is not need bec it a video. I asked if the video caption. She said well the television is caption it should be caption the video. I said no it doesnt work like that then processed to explain. She said with a digust sigh.. we're work something out. Another month goes by I get a bunch of pink slips for short change in my draw. Why? Does anyone remember when those new gold dollars came in? There were a change in the rule for counting down from $65 to $85. For a few weeks I have been counting my draw down to $85. Guess what? The rule change again and I was unaware until I got a bunch of pink slips again. My draw was over. No telling how many times I've been written up for something I didnt know about. The boss again scold me for not showing for the meeting. I said get me an interpeter and I come. For months have been fighting it went into depressing, anixety attack, and chest pain. Just was in & out of the doctor office. One day I went back to work I was told I was fired for confronting one of the manager about my right with the ADA. Of course the agurment escalated to a huge dispute. At that time I was young and didnt know how to go about handle my situation. When I discussed my situation with other people I learned a lot of things I could have done but it was too late bec I waited too long. Yes, WALMART need to be educated about deafness and their culture. If I knew what I know now back in 1999-2000 I could have went out made a difference.

Back