Deaf employees in the armed services

Endymion

Reaction score
Not too long ago there was some discussion on deaf personnel in the armed services. There are, in fact, many, many deaf people employed by the military in non-combat positions.

Testament to that, I just recently I got an inquiry from the Air Force (I leave my resume floating around all the time, like everyone should do). That inquiry became an offer, though I'm going to decline it tomorrow--especially since I am not really that interested in an offer from the military (I am told they are historically not the best employers). I was pretty surprised at how fast they offered me the full-time spot.

So now you know. Deaf people do work for the military!

Last edited:
Endymion , Please do not decline it tommorrow !!!! You will get free air lifts to different spots of the world and travel on the Government's Dime !!!! You also will get free university education and the benefits are endless !!!!!! A chance to further your education would be really awesome !!!! Remember you will be able to attend Tier 1 Universities too !!!!! Take advantage of that opporounity and God Bless !!!! :) :thumb:

Heath,

Thanks for the advice. If you really want a military spot, I'll tell you how to get one, though you won't be doing anything with explosions and machine guns. Chances are if you get your college degree, you'll get even better jobs, even with the armed forces. So my advice is finish that college degree first. ;) You can get internships with the military. I know of a program (The Workforce Recruitment Program?) that can land you government and military internships while you're in college.

I will turn them down because their offer really doesn't match my interests. Plus, I'm not really looking for a spot at this point. I leave my resume out all the time just to see what job offers I get. You should do the same too, even while you're in college.

If you don't mind my asking, what exactly do you do for a living?

I'm a bum and I sit and sing to the tunes of 1970s commercial jingles all day long. ;)

No, I'll PM you. It's just that I'm starting to double-think sharing things about myself online, especially with all the fighting going on in this forum.

Speaking of resumes floating around, one of my new hobbies is exploring my alma mater's online alumni community and reading all the resumes posted in the career network forum. It is AMAZING, because professionals from all walks of life are willing to share their experience, exchange information, and even give advice to recent graduates. The more I peruse their resumes, the more I contemplate about how college degrees, qualifications and skills, and experience signal one's high ability to prospective employers.

All of this has compelled me to exploit my potential in new ways. I now have a more clear idea of what I can do and what I need to do in order to reach Point B from Point A.

Endymion,

I'm not quite clear about this "position" you have been offered. Do you mean they offered you an active duty military commission, or did they offer you a DoD civil service position? I know many Deaf people who work in DoD federal civil service but I don't know of any military branch that actually enlists or commissions deaf people into the armed services.

BTW, now I know what you really look like. I saw your picture on page 24 (Arts section) of The Week magazine, March 3 issue. :Oops:

Reba said:
BTW, now I know what you really look like. I saw your picture on page 24 (Arts section) of The Week magazine, March 3 issue. :Oops:

How do you know it's him? Is his head cut off? :mrgreen:

Levonian said:
How do you know it's him? Is his head cut off? :mrgreen:
The title under the picture has his name. :D

Peachy Lady said:
How about posting picture of him?
Endymion said:
It's just that I'm starting to double-think sharing things about myself online, especially with all the fighting going on in this forum.
I don't think Endymion would like that very much. :nono:

Levonian said:
I don't think Endymion would like that very much. :nono:

I can understand the need or the urge for upholding privacy, although, what I can't understand is the fact that he has a picture being displayed the world over or just nationally, however, not wanting to show oneself here doesn't seem like a whole lot of sense...but, I do understand that everyone is entitled to keep certain things private for many various of reasons, and most of these reasons may be deemed vital and of importance to oneself's character, etc.,....Bearing that in mind, we can respect his wishes-- ;)

Reba said:
Endymion,

I'm not quite clear about this "position" you have been offered. Do you mean they offered you an active duty military commission, or did they offer you a DoD civil service position? I know many Deaf people who work in DoD federal civil service but I don't know of any military branch that actually enlists or commissions deaf people into the armed services.

It was a DoD civil service spot. Now that I think about it, I don't think I currently know anyone with any hearing loss in active duty military commission. I did once briefly date an Aviation Ordnanceman, 3rd Class who was losing her hearing bit by bit. She didn't tell her superiors in the Navy, though.

Ooh, what photo?

Ladies and gentlemen, why all the fuss? Here's a photo of me!

oprah.jpg

Endymion said:
Ladies and gentlemen, why all the fuss? Here's a photo of me!

oprah.jpg

You tricked me! I thought you were Brad Pitt!

Really though, what is everyone's fascination with knowing what you look like?

Very funny, Endymion...you're male. :lol: If you don't want to post real picture of yourself in this forum, you do have that right. It's just that if you really are in The Week magazine for anyone to view, why not here as well. I won't ask you to post your real picture of yourself anymore...it's ok. smile

Peachy Lady said:
Very funny, Endymion...you're male. :lol: If you don't want to post real picture of yourself in this forum, you do have that right. It's just that if you really are in The Week magazine for anyone to view, why not here as well. I won't ask you to post your real picture of yourself anymore...it's ok. smile

LOL. Darn, you're seeing through my Oprah facade. But really, I am Oprah, it's not a facade! ;) ;)

I actually didn't know I was in The Week. *shrugs* I think Reba's ribbing us. Well, gosh darn, we've been had! :nana: Or maybe a photo of Oprah appeared there!

If you're really Oprah, how about getting a nice sized house with mortgage paid-off for all the ADers who are going to AD caucus this July?

How about a nice, luxurious home outside of Copenhagen? Or maybe you want a cabin in Vail? A beach house on the Californian coast?

Ask, and Oprah shall grant!

Endymion said:
...I actually didn't know I was in The Week. *shrugs* I think Reba's ribbing us. Well, gosh darn, we've been had! :nana:
I can scan it from the magazine but I have to do a little "fig leaf" editing on it; it is a revealing picture.

Back