Deaf Education research......

Status
Not open for further replies.
*shrugs* Just wait till the newspapers hit again... You'll see videophones in Boulder County Jail.

No big deal, just another day for me.

Are you anticipating on going to jail? Is that why you are trying to get deaf accommodations there now? :)

Wirelessly posted

The deaf school would probably notice he's blind

Last edited:
Are you anticipating on going to jail? Is that why you are trying to get deaf accommodations there now? :)

11764yb.jpg

I asked how one would go about having ASL as the language of communication at all times and still be immersed in and successfully become fluent in spoken language. It is what so many here say that advocate for, but are unwilling to share how to accomplish that. (If you are using ASL at school and at home and for all communications, how do you ever learn the other language?) And I think that is a valid question. It isn't a demand. I just want to know if anyone who wants that actually has a plan for how to get the kids there.

Do you live in the same world that I do? There is no way that you can prevent a child from being exposed to spoken English. It is everywhere. And if, as you claim, a child with a CI learns peripherally as a hearing child does, they simply pick it up through exposure. However, if you believe as I do: that a deaf child does not pick up spoken language and information dependent upon spoken language as does a hearing child, they pick it up through interaction.

:P

The fact is out there and loud. Accessibility for the deaf is not pleasant in jails.

I'm just grateful to have this opportunity to make a model. There has been problems at this certain jail in the past with several deaf people, and it is going to change. I'm glad to be working with several people who really cares.

The reason they "really care" is because of dropped charges due to lack of accessibility though.

That's a risk I am willing to take.

Not a problem with that. You are well informed regarding the risks and therefore can make a reasonable decision. You are not basing your decision on wishful thinking and incorrect information.

Likewise, you are one of the ones that the "experts" call "oral successes." We have never denied that there are oral successes out there. Unfortunately, even the poster children are still missing out on much, and have to work harder to make up for it.

After her implant, she was mainstreamed.

Even hearing kids are coming up short in English skills in the public school system. I doubt seriously that mainstreaming was the answer.

She bi-lingual. She was bilingual before the implant too.

Bingo. The fact that she had an L1 language was an advantage for her. She was able to transfer those skills to the learning of English. She also had hearing members of her family, and code switched in communicating with them. She was in a school for the deaf until she was 10. Therefore, she was able to get the basics which assisted her with the more difficult material in the mainstream.

Where people get it wrong is that they place the kid in an oral environment in the early grades. They are not able to master even the basics that are necessary for developing the cognitive skills they need for later grades. They fall behind, and are then transfered to a school for the deaf. That is ass-backwards to the way it should be for a child, developmentally and educationally.

just remember it is not impossible to get speech from a deaf school. CI or not.

That is a myth that hearing parents buy into. "OMG, my kid will not get speech at a deaf school and they will never learn to use their voice." And the oralists feed into that fear and keep that ridiculas myth going.

:P

The fact is out there and loud. Accessibility for the deaf is not pleasant in jails.

I'm just grateful to have this opportunity to make a model. There has been problems at this certain jail in the past with several deaf people, and it is going to change. I'm glad to be working with several people who really cares.

The reason they "really care" is because of dropped charges due to lack of accessibility though.

Then maybe that will be a mistake, adding vidphones, :lol: J/K Good job!

That is a myth that hearing parents buy into. "OMG, my kid will not get speech at a deaf school and they will never learn to use their voice." And the oralists feed into that fear and keep that ridiculas myth going.

Stereotypes suck.

"If you put your child in a deaf school, they will never learn how to talk."
and
"All deaf schools offer speech therapy."

NEITHER ARE TRUE.

All you have to do is visit the schools themselves and get a dose of reality.

Stereotypes suck.

"If you put your child in a deaf school, they will never learn how to talk."
and
"All deaf schools offer speech therapy."

NEITHER ARE TRUE.

All you have to do is visit the schools themselves and get a dose of reality.

Yep. Too many people do not even investigate the options and sit in on classes conducted at various placements. They make a decision based on fear.

Speech therapy was there in the movie.... at the old deaf school before CI. She had her implant at the age 9, so I'm sure she did have speech before that.

Yes she did. She even spoke on film in the first movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back