Deaf Drivers

these blogs in there pisses me off -- people think deaf people cant drive... WTF!?

I swear it is people like them that make me sad. I am a hearie and I believe everyone deserves all of the freedoms. not part. And as it is proven you drive better than me.. (which doesn't say much considering my driving lol jk :lol:)

The link is on the last message from Freckles

Thanks..

I read them..it is distressing on how uneducated the general public is about deafness and deaf people.

My hubby first met me thru my deaf roommates. He met them at a bar in 2002 and he told me that he was shocked that deaf people go to bars since he thought we couldnt drive. Oh man!

Thanks..

I read them..it is distressing on how uneducated the general public is about deafness and deaf people.

My hubby first met me thru my deaf roommates. He met them at a bar in 2002 and he told me that he was shocked that deaf people go to bars since he thought we couldnt drive. Oh man!

I didn't know Deaf people could either until I took my ASL class. I was so happy when I heard that you can because it isn't fair. And like proven before your better drivers than us as well lol.

If you lack one sense, then you should use your other sense more.

In this case, you lack hearing... so you should look around more.

Using "I'm deaf" as an excuse can be pointless when your eyes could have done the work just as well.

When you're crossing the street, you need to look both ways before crossing the street. If you're crossing a 2-way street (in America), then you would focus more on your left until you get halfway... then focus more on your right as you finish the crossing.

When you're driving, don't keep your eyes forward 100% of the time. Look around, be alert. I know people who keep their eyes on the road so much that they don't even notice ANYTHING that's happening around them. They don't even know there's a firetruck or an ambulance behind them. :roll: Check your mirrors from time to time. Watch the cars around you. (If you see them trying to move out of the way, it's likely cuz an emergency vehicle or a police car is coming through. That's one sign to look behind you and around you.)

If you lack one sense, then you should use your other sense more.

In this case, you lack hearing... so you should look around more.

Using "I'm deaf" as an excuse can be pointless when your eyes could have done the work just as well.

When you're crossing the street, you need to look both ways before crossing the street. If you're crossing a 2-way street (in America), then you would focus more on your left until you get halfway... then focus more on your right as you finish the crossing.

When you're driving, don't keep your eyes forward 100% of the time. Look around, be alert. I know people who keep their eyes on the road so much that they don't even notice ANYTHING that's happening around them. They don't even know there's a firetruck or an ambulance behind them. :roll: Check your mirrors from time to time. Watch the cars around you. (If you see them trying to move out of the way, it's likely cuz an emergency vehicle or a police car is coming through. That's one sign to look behind you and around you.)

I have to agreed. I basically using my eyesight more than my hearing.

Hearies are always surprised at the abilities of deafies.

" . . . shocked that deaf people go to bars since he thought we couldnt drive" is hilarious and casts doubts on the driver-safety of the individual who doesn't wonder at how hearie drunks get home from the bars they drive to, ha ha ha.

I'm participating in a five-year driving study here in Oregon. It's based more on driving history and insurance actuarial tables than what some audistic cops may "feel" about the situation.

In the first two years, results are showing deaf drivers have far fewer moving citations and fewer reported accidents per miles driven than their hearing peers in the same age and gender groups. Astoundingly, deaf teens are over twice as ticket and accident free as hearing teens.

However, two control groups of teens without radios or cell phones in their cars drive almost as safely as the deaf teens. I think that really points up the distraction factor.

On two personal notes:

I read lips via the rear-view mirror, so when I want to "listen," I let the hearie take over driving so he or she can better watch the road.

When my sister drives while signing non-stop with both hands, my fingers are usually busy going through my rosary. "Hail, Mary, full of grace, help get this car from place to place," ha ha ha.

Back