Deaf Drivers

Darkage, I actually am going to a community college right now getting my ASL classes knocked out before I go to an interpretership college because cheaper this way.

Are you in Washington?

All ya can do is depend on your eyes and be sharp when possible for anything that will come up... good thing my dad taught me to be sharp and drive smart and I have put these to good use... even as I do drive alone myself often but I know what I need to do and how to do it .. for example if I am driving on a highway that is a bit patched over with snow I gotta drive slower than normal to get to the specific place in no time.. same for icy roads gotta be thinking how to drive carefully and if it feels slippery beside to use the gravel side to drive slowy all the way home or back to where ya were leaving (like a relative's place) and have to wait till the roads are all good the next day...simple enough

I am new to the Deaf community and I never did ask anyone this but I figured I might as well ask in here. When you are driving how do you know if there is a Train coming or a firetruck or ambulance? Or if someone is honking their horn? Is there a device that flashes or something like that?

I am just trying to learn more about the Deaf community any way I can since it is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo hard to find any in my area.

:ty:

The powers of observation.

Where a railroad crossing had no "bells and whistles", my parents would stop and look both ways.

Other cars would pull off to the side of the roads (not the case in major cities, I see) and, of course, my parents followed.

Deaf drivers are, usually, more visually alert and check all mirrors and surroundings at a greater frequency than hearing peers (insurance investigation found). Because of my lack of confidence in hearing, I, too, find myself doing the same.

Years ago, a friend had told me that her car had an indicator that notified her of an emergency vehicle nearby. She'd driven a Chevrolet. I thought it would be standard in American vehicles by now.

I used to have 2 mirrors on my car before. I use my eyes alot, focusin' on the roads and surroundings. I was given 5 times warnings from the cop more than 20 years - never had a single ticket in my entire life. :lol: It proves that deaf drivers are better drivers than hearing drivers.

Right now, I don't drive anymore ... some day. I am now using my feet to walk everyday and sometimes on bus, too. LOL

I used to have 2 mirrors on my car before. I use my eyes alot, focusin' on the roads and surroundings. I was given 5 times warnings from the cop more than 20 years - never had a single ticket in my entire life. :lol: It proves that deaf drivers are better drivers than hearing drivers.

Right now, I don't drive anymore ... some day. I am now using my feet to walk everyday and sometimes on bus, too. LOL

:jaw: Us hearies suck lol just kidding.

sadly botts' correct, cops get bronze in driving, truckers; silver and us deafies, golden drivers (- based on statisitics a few years ago, I'll have to look up for updated one).

we RELY on our eyes for our dear lives! that's golden rule .. lol. and it's not hard to see enormous flashings at nighttime and/or 'carbody language' ... practice makes perfect; you'll know when too well.

I always used my eyes most of time. I know when train coming. They have light signal and I can hear firetruck or ambulance about mile away!

Well, it was supposed to be a shut eye expression but by the look of it, you can understand the expression automatically ;)

wanted to add something, driving is VISUAL action.. I mean, my dear you can't hear deers coming out the woods or hear who's about to crash you in a minute; hear one's mind. hence, we deafies the best drivers - we live with our eyes.

I found some statistics that might be interested to you - I didn't read all but do let me know what you think of it. :cool2:

Back