Deaf Drivers in the World

I never get to drive. I've never driven all my life and it's been a hard life. My father, who is hearing, won't let me drive. My entire family shares the same view that I don't drive. My grandfather says that I can't drive due to "Inner ear imbalance". whatever does being deaf has to do with inner ear imbalance. I've never been told I had that by any doctor.

Its been a life in hell not having a car, now I'm over 30, and spent my whole life walking, riding the bus, bumming rides, bike-riding, and running. For 6 years, I ran 20,000 miles to get home from the dojo, a 10 mile run home everyday. that was bootcamp hell that would never stop.

it sucks hell. I cant get a good job because it's so far to go and get one, the logistics of travel without a car where I live, makes working very difficult. I have to work in entry level places that are nearby, than to travel far to places that are career oriented.

it is hell on earth. I miss out on going to cool parties and nightclubs and events due to no ride. I spend so much money on taxi to get anywhere that is expensive.

How can I look cool to girls without a car? Most girls judge guys based on their cars.
hire a private instructor and you'll be driving in no time.

And inviting crimimal causing me to be their victim? Forget it! I don't want advertise my Deafness on my car, too dangerous.

deaf_keep_honking_i_am_deaf_bumper_sticker-p128017126482912553tmn6_125.jpg

deaf can't drive

They need to change, nonetheless. Let them drive!

It silly that they won't let deaf drive..I'm deaf, been driving 35+ years now, not only that but I'm a left arm amputee and all my cars are manual transmissions. Automatics are for pussys...

I also am deaf pilot hold FAA private pilots rating (a.k.a "license) and own my own airplane a Cessna 172

Yes, I'd like to know too..time to start driving, young man.

After reading some of his posts, I think I know why his parents wouldn't let him and I don't think it has anything to do with his deafness. I think it has to do with his medication he take. If he knows he is capable, he should give it a try.

My mother is really hard of hearing (just don't try to tell her that she is..) and has been driving for years. Despite that she can’t tell what direction a sound is coming from (when she hears it) and she argues with the guy in like every drive- through. I myself will not stop driving when my hearing goes out either.

Yeah, deaf people CAN drive.

I am a 22 year old gentleman, and I have been driving for 6 years now. :eek3:

Thats all? I got my license at 15. My first car I drove by myself was a Datsun 510. That was at 2 years old. Wrecked a fence.

Raced another Datsun 510 when I was 11. The Datsun I raced looked like this, only tan. It was a manual as well. That was one badass car. I'll get one for myself sometimes soon.

Drove a pickup in snow all over the place when I was 13-14.

I'm 28 now. I've put more than 750,000 miles in all of my cars that I've owned.

I don't drive with my hearing aids in either and this summer I found another way to be in trouble. As I pulled up to a stop light at the rarest of times: it was not heavy traffic, the car behind me zipped in beside to make use of the empty lane. Bright red car with a blonde lady inside making incomprehensible hand gestures to get my attention. I roll my window down, she rolls her passenger window down. I know she is yelling but what? I finally yell back I am hard of hearing! She slows down and says the same thing no louder but where I can see her face better, "your brake lights don't work". I holler, " Got it, Thanks!" In the course of making the repair and all I end up with my hearing aids in for some reason. The door buzzer I don't hear with out the aids is tied in with the brake lights. I put in a new fuse and what? Where did that buzzer sound come from? God only knows how long I was driving without brake lights. Kind of embarrassing.
There are a few other things that can happen and I have had them happen.
Still what a great life I have gotten to have because I can drive.

Driving through Canada

I was driving south through Canada one winter and at a little, very little, place called Bucking Horse I look up into my rear view mirror and I have a wake of smoke behind me, Whoa Nelly!! Whoa... I brake rapidly and duck into a stop at a turnout for a well drilling road on the opposite side. I raise the hood and look.
The water pump had gone out as completely as one can. The ball bearings for the fan had sprayed out of the shattered housing so red burning hot that some had buried themselves by instantly burning their way into the engine block. Now that is something for mechanically minded proud fellow like me to go hmmm about. The racket that thing must have made as it was reaching its horrible end. I could not help but be a little sensitive inside to the looks I got as other men like me looked at it at the repair shop, even though I never saw those looks I knew in my minds eye they were happening.

u should have kept eye on water temp gauge or light also oil pressure light theses are very important one water temp should be normally half mark and not touching red zone this way if u notice the temp being too high dont continue and pull over and shut engine off and let it cool down before opening radiator cap and oil pressure should be around 25 to 90 range if below 20 psi again pull over and shut off engine and check oil,again if oil pressure is too high means clogged filter or oil passway blocked
I was driving south through Canada one winter and at a little, very little, place called Bucking Horse I look up into my rear view mirror and I have a wake of smoke behind me, Whoa Nelly!! Whoa... I brake rapidly and duck into a stop at a turnout for a well drilling road on the opposite side. I raise the hood and look.
The water pump had gone out as completely as one can. The ball bearings for the fan had sprayed out of the shattered housing so red burning hot that some had buried themselves by instantly burning their way into the engine block. Now that is something for mechanically minded proud fellow like me to go hmmm about. The racket that thing must have made as it was reaching its horrible end. I could not help but be a little sensitive inside to the looks I got as other men like me looked at it at the repair shop, even though I never saw those looks I knew in my minds eye they were happening.

It silly that they won't let deaf drive..I'm deaf, been driving 35+ years now, not only that but I'm a left arm amputee and all my cars are manual transmissions. Automatics are for pussys...

I also am deaf pilot hold FAA private pilots rating (a.k.a "license) and own my own airplane a Cessna 172

oh yeah! im stick shift loveer its so flexible than auto(gags) and stick shift are better to use engine braking this saves wear on brake pads my other old 90 izusu pup had 133,000 miles original brakes shoes/pad from factory installed only to trade in for newer dodge dakota slt(yep cant find a stick shift version of v6!! grrr! it was only 6 years and 158,000 miles blew #3 cylinders sold it for junk it was good truck and bought a 93' plymouth vogager se temporarily for 9 months till i traded in for brand new 2005 saturn ion-3 sedan with stick shift with 17k miles on it 3 years ago and now still driving it since then and racked up almost 60k miles on it ,my driving experiences is since 83' and only deaf class b race car driver back then u know deaf can drive a race car too just google "deaf race driver"

u should have kept eye on water temp gauge or light also oil pressure light theses are very important one water temp should be normally half mark and not touching red zone this way if u notice the temp being too high dont continue and pull over and shut engine off and let it cool down before opening radiator cap and oil pressure should be around 25 to 90 range if below 20 psi again pull over and shut off engine and check oil,again if oil pressure is too high means clogged filter or oil passway blocked
These are things I do watch - I take good care of vehicles but that one got right by me cruising along that nice road checking out all the oil well drilling activities while here in Alaska the companies were scaling back and claiming lack of financial incentive. Then whoa it was tow truck time- 100 kilometers each way to somewhere with repair parts. Canada is a great country, a fellow stopped to help and in a few short hours I was in town and soon was on the road again.

I still have that truck - it is a 1990 half ton Chevy with the 4.3 and a stick. It has kind of a cool tranny w/overdrive that has held up well to all my third gear accelerations to pass everyone on the road. Great engine for me not so powerful I go kill myself with it. Now I am all calm and happy to go the speed limit but this is new for me. I have the same engine in my other three vehicles of different models. My hat is off to the deaf race car driver- I bet you have a blast!!

Thats all? I got my license at 15. My first car I drove by myself was a Datsun 510. That was at 2 years old. Wrecked a fence.

Raced another Datsun 510 when I was 11. The Datsun I raced looked like this, only tan. It was a manual as well. That was one badass car. I'll get one for myself sometimes soon.

Drove a pickup in snow all over the place when I was 13-14.

I'm 28 now. I've put more than 750,000 miles in all of my cars that I've owned.
Yeah, but I believe you used to live on a farm, right?

Deaf drivers

I'm deaf and I do one thing that may surprise you...I drive an AMBULANCE. It has proven time and again that deaf/HOH drivers are actually safer because we are more visually attuned to what's going on around us. I have an excellent safety record. I suppose there aren't too many deaf EMTs around but I manage quite nicely, with a few accomodations (hearing aids, a radio with a shoulder mike, a special stethoscope, the ability to lip read, etc). Of course, in my other job (lab tech), I don't require all that. I use my other senses to compensate for what I don't have. I DO have the ability to speak (my ears don't work but my vocal cords do).

There is no reason why a deaf or HOH person can't drive and it's ludicrous to say that we can't.

my sweetheart is deaf and a damn good driver
she has her license and a safe driver record
she was pulled over once in 20 years (because of a flickering taillight)
the officer fixed it right there for her:D

The whole excuse that you need to hear in order to be aware of emergency vehicles is complete BS. In the UK, we're taught to look in our rear view mirror every 5 seconds. That's also what the highway code recommends. Therefore, it would be difficult to not notice an emergency vehicle if you're driving correctly. + The reflection of emergency beacon lights in the rear view mirror is somewhat difficult to not notice.

I guess severely deaf people are only disadvantaged when it comes to hearing a horn. That said, 99% of the time a horn is used to convey the message "F**k you!!!!!!!!" or "Get out of my way!!!!!!!!!!" as opposed to warning someone of danger.

Back