Deaf culture as a group

As has already been addressed by many people, you are somewhat confused. Going over the original chart I laid out:

To apply the deaf/Deaf labels to these categories, I'd go:

1) deaf and Deaf
2) deaf but not Deaf
3) not deaf but Deaf
4) neither deaf nor Deaf

(others, especiall pfh: Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong or misrepresenting anything here, please)

You are right.

As has already been addressed by many people, you are somewhat confused. Going over the original chart I laid out:

1) deaf and Deaf
2) deaf but not Deaf
3) not deaf but Deaf
4) neither deaf nor Deaf

(others, especiall pfh: Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong or misrepresenting anything here, please)

What's your background, StSapphire?

Ah. I'm just a hearing person taking ASL who's been lurking and reading old threads a bit to try and get some understanding for a culture and lifestyle that I've never been in myself.

If I should really be refraining from speaking in these situations, just let me know - I'm just trying to share the basic level of understanding that I think I've gotten to so far.

Ah. I'm just a hearing person taking ASL who's been lurking and reading old threads a bit to try and get some understanding for a culture and lifestyle that I've never been in myself.

If I should really be refraining from speaking in these situations, just let me know - I'm just trying to share the basic level of understanding that I think I've gotten to so far.

Ok, thank you :)

1) deaf and Deaf
2) deaf but not Deaf
3) not deaf but Deaf
4) neither deaf nor Deaf

Part of the reason I was asking is why is PFH the only one being asked to correct you? Is no one else here capable?

Part of the reason I was asking is why is PFH the only one being asked to correct you? Is no one else here capable?

Oh, haha, no, not at all.

I mostly singled him out because I've seen him in the past specifically call out and correct other hearing people who (presumably) thought they were accurately representing the Deaf community.

Back