Deaf child hears for the first time

The way information and guidance is presented when a diagnosis is made.

Parents who know nothing of deafness don't realize how little is being presented to them.

And, they are unable to do research? The Internet and the library have a wealth of information. Is the deaf community not doing a good job of making information available to parents at the hospital?

The boy next door knew sign language and others used gestures (home-made signs). We sometimes had to write on dirt (soil) with finger or on sidewalk by using a chalk. When I joined them playing sports or whatever, they never left me out. They were good to me.

A kid being deaf doesn't mean he or she is lonely.

I'm not saying deaf children do not have friends. I'm saying deaf children also have enemies, more enemies than hearing children. You cannot be deaf and not understand it. And, you can have all the ASL in the world, but is not going to change that fact.

that video is only showing the novelty...the novelty for the child to 'hear'...i dunno about it, 'its awesome' on one hand, but needless on the other as it is going to be quite pushy on the long run, i dont see it too wonderful knowing the pain he is going to go through.

And, they are unable to do research? The Internet and the library have a wealth of information. Is the deaf community not doing a good job of making information available to parents at the hospital?

Apparently it is difficult for people to inform themselves, or I would think you would be more aware of the recent events in California...

Still living there?

Apparently it is difficult for people to inform themselves, or I would think you would be more aware of the recent events in California...

Still living there?

That doesn't really answer my questions. :(

When I have been in the hospital I have received packets with all kinds of information. Some of the information from groups outside the hospital. Is that information not getting into the hands of people? If not, then why not?

I'm not saying deaf children do not have friends. I'm saying deaf children also have enemies, more enemies than hearing children. You cannot be deaf and not understand it. And, you can have all the ASL in the world, but is not going to change that fact.

Who are enemies?

That doesn't really answer my questions. :(

When I have been in the hospital I have received packets with all kinds of information. Some of the information from groups outside the hospital. Is that information not getting into the hands of people? If not, then why not?

That is what I've been trying to get at. If this is a recognized and perceived problem, why is nothing being done about it?

That is what I've been trying to get at. If this is a recognized and perceived problem, why is nothing being done about it?

Yup. For some reason it is easier to react with emotions rather than open up an honest dialogue. The natural progression from dialogue is effort and I don't think a lot of people want to be bothered by that. Easier to vent.

Yup. For some reason it is easier to react with emotions rather than open up an honest dialogue. The natural progression from dialogue is effort and I don't think a lot of people want to be bothered by that. Easier to vent.

I agree it takes effort. However, I don't think it is a matter of anticipating effort so much as indecision on how to proceed.

And u know that it has ruined many deaf children's lives and yet, there is no empathy for those who have suffered.

None at all.

It is like "suck it up and move on" to our faces.

Try telling that to those who ended up with language delays or deficits from that philosophy and struggle for the rest of their lives. I was VERY lucky I didn't end up with issues with my language development but I could easily have. Instead I suffered in other ways that affected me negatively long after I became an adult and almost destroyed me. I just thank my lucky stars that it didn't.

Because of that, I will never ever support the oral-only philosophy.

Yet, many of you still cant understand that and accuse me of many things that I am really not. I have been called names in the past but I still stand by my beliefs.

My heart is for the children first.

PRECISELY!!!!!!!! This is SO DEAD ON!!!!!!! The major trouble with oralism in this country, is that it's not about teaching a kid an additional skill.....Like if the speech schools (oral preschools) presented themselves as "dhh kids can come here and improve their speech skills. Later they can go on to dhh program or school....." Instead it's " OUR school allows unfettered access to the hearing world. In other words oralism is about the most "normal" default choice.
Its about trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.....and raising a kid with THAT sort of attitude can result in MAJOR MAJOR psychological issues with identity, fitting in, self esteem, self hatred and so on.

erm, theres no such thing as 'very good speech services' gotta make up your mind on that...

Grum, the reason I say this isn't b/c I'm audist but b/c one of the reasons why some parents switch is b/c of the claim that the speech services through Sign using programs are really crappy. If the speech services through Sign programs were uniformally GOOD, then a lot less parents would feel like they had to switch or start out with speech and then switch to Sign....make sense now? it would be a hook to get the parents to get their kid into a program that actually USES Sign......you know, it would get rid of the myth that Sign programs don't have good auxirally spoken language programming....make sense now? The spoken language would be AUXAURAILLY......like the voice on periods at Maryland School for the Deaf....

Most of the time, all they get is a pamphelt from AG Hell.

tznb3.gif

that video is only showing the novelty...the novelty for the child to 'hear'...i dunno about it, 'its awesome' on one hand, but needless on the other as it is going to be quite pushy on the long run, i dont see it too wonderful knowing the pain he is going to go through.

Yes. It's like "OMG your child can be NORMAL. Look at this kid being normal! Normal, normal normal!"

erm, theres no such thing as 'very good speech services' gotta make up your mind on that...

We have one very good speech service called Alldeaf Speech Service that formed by VacationGuy.

Nevermind... :lol:

PRECISELY!!!!!!!! This is SO DEAD ON!!!!!!! The major trouble with oralism in this country, is that it's not about teaching a kid an additional skill.....Like if the speech schools (oral preschools) presented themselves as "dhh kids can come here and improve their speech skills. Later they can go on to dhh program or school....." Instead it's " OUR school allows unfettered access to the hearing world. In other words oralism is about the most "normal" default choice.
Its about trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.....and raising a kid with THAT sort of attitude can result in MAJOR MAJOR psychological issues with identity, fitting in, self esteem, self hatred and so on.

If that is true, a Dr will warn about it. It would be unethical for them not to warn about it.

Back