Deaf/Blind

I got a Deaf roommate with Usher's Syndrome. He is pretty cool, but damn, those Deafies around this town we live in have no patience with him! A few of them even tease him about it by signing Usher's Syndrome with his name. For that, they should be blinded permanently and see how they would laugh.

Originally posted by Deaf258
I got a Deaf roommate with Usher's Syndrome. He is pretty cool, but damn, those Deafies around this town we live in have no patience with him! A few of them even tease him about it by signing Usher's Syndrome with his name. For that, they should be blinded permanently and see how they would laugh.

Amen to that.

usher mom

My son just got diagnosed with Ushers disease. Any suggestions for me?

Deaf258 said:

Please excuse this remark, seeing as it comes from a hearing person--but you'd THINK that people who have to deal with the challenges and differences that come with being deaf would be a LITTLE more understanding of those who are dealing with even MORE challenges. That does not speak well of their character.

lostmom said:
My son just got diagnosed with Ushers disease. Any suggestions for me?

Where do you live at ?

I am NOT too familiar with Ushers syndrome, BUT I used to
live in Long Island New York where they had a very Good
School for Deaf/Blind "The Helen Keller National Center"
training program is located on the North Shore of Long Island,
in the village of Sands Point in Nassau County.

Main switchboard: 516-944-8900 v/tty
Switchboard hours: 8 a.m. to 3:45 p.m.
Fax: 516-944-8637
Information: hkncinfo@hknc.org

Wow that is just amamzing! I had no idea they had the technology to allow deaf & blind people to read what's on the internet! That is cool. :) :angel:

VamPyroX said:
I have a old friend from church who's deaf and blind. She recognizes very few people by feeling their hands and I'm one of them. Once, I didn't see her for two years and one day at Six Flags for Deaf Awareness Day, I saw her passing by. I stopped her and her guide and I told him that I wanted to say hi to her. The guide asked me what my name was and I said, "No, just watch." and let her touch my hands. Within five seconds, "Shawn! It's been two years! How are you!?" and then hugged me. The guide was shocked to see that she could recognize me like that. Heh!

Wow, that is amazing! :wave:

Back