Deaf Attitude Toward HoH?

I have been curious about if I am Deaf or HOH. I cannot hear without reading lips, but I speak. If I do hear it's usually just one word out of each sentence. So, I hope to hear the main word in that sentence that lets me clearly know what is being talked about. Ok sometimes it does not work, but most times it does. Although at my last hearing test it was noted my hearing loss is affecting my speech. Also hearing Aids will not help my hearing to make the cost worthwhile. This was said by the ENT who did my testing for disability.

You will not be Deaf [with a capital D] until you have had a cultural acceptance by other Deafs in your Deaf community. That usually doesn't happen until you have either fluent ASL or have done a lot that got you recognized with Deaf people.

You can be termed deaf [with a lowercase d] if you wish to seek enlightenment, learn ASL, making the transtition in accepting Deaf culture and its communities.

If you do not wish to associate yourself with Deaf culture in anyway, you are just hoh / oral / hearing to them.
To the medical world, you will always remain deaf/hearing impaired. (Grammar/capitalization rules also apply)

Curious on what you just said. Does that mean you had at times when people weren't patient enough with your fledgling ASL?

I will vouch for this. I am a NOOB with ASL (Level Basic ASL is all that I know, and am not fluent to say the least). Ive found a number of deafies who were very accepting of noobism but Ive also had a few who got PO'd because I could sign at 1,000mph (I was like "WTF you were a noob once")

You will not be Deaf [with a capital D] until you have had a cultural acceptance by other Deafs in your Deaf community. That usually doesn't happen until you have either fluent ASL or have done a lot that got you recognized with Deaf people.

You can be termed deaf [with a lowercase d] if you wish to seek enlightenment, learn ASL, making the transtition in accepting Deaf culture and its communities.

If you do not wish to associate yourself with Deaf culture in anyway, you are just hoh / oral / hearing to them.
To the medical world, you will always remain deaf/hearing impaired. (Grammar/capitalization rules also apply)
Cultural acceptance by other Deafs? I've not seen it to be entirely like that when there has been a recent changing of the meaning of the term "Deaf" with a capital "D." Some consider that anybody with a hearing loss are called as Deaf people thus getting rid of the labels "deaf" and "hard of hearing." Meaning we all are part of the family. You've seen them use the term "Deaf babies"? Applicable even if a baby has mild hearing loss. It's the constant perverting of the definition of the term "Deaf." Never mind that it took the culturally Deaf community over 30 years to get the definition of what “D”eaf means down pat. That term has always denoted to mean culturally deaf people according to Carol Padden and Tom Humphries, in Deaf in America: Voices from a Culture (1988):

We use the lowercase deaf when referring to the audiological condition of not hearing, and the uppercase Deaf when referring to a particular group of deaf people who share a language – American Sign Language (ASL) – and a culture. The members of this group have inherited their sign language, use it as a primary means of communication among themselves, and hold a set of beliefs about themselves and their connection to the larger society. We distinguish them from, for example, those who find themselves losing their hearing because of illness, trauma or age; although these people share the condition of not hearing, they do not have access to the knowledge, beliefs, and practices that make up the culture of Deaf people.

Nothing about acceptance but the sharing of the language and culture. Hinging on the term "acceptance" as the only way to become "Deaf" presents some problems here. If a person identifies him/herself as a Deaf person then who am I to argue?

This is one of reason why i am not even interesting in cultures. Just be yourself that simple dont worry about what others doing or say to you or behind your back it not even worth to fretting over with. if they dont respect you then ignore them and talk to others.

Not to be confused with Dunkin Doughnuts.. Just sayin...

:lol:

caccd94bd6469781d28ede56061bbd91.jpg

hey free for all! hey you! take only one! :mad2:

You know, in the ferret world, some of the ferrets end up being deaf. I never heard anything about ferrets being HOH. If there were deaf and hearing only, then no HOH people will be picking on others. See, You never see a HOH ferret picking on deaf or hearing ferrets. That is because the term HOH ferrets don't exist. Therefore, ferrets don't get picked on as much as us humans do.

You know, in the ferret world, some of the ferrets end up being deaf. I never heard anything about ferrets being HOH. If there were deaf and hearing only, then no HOH people will be picking on others. See, You never see a HOH ferret picking on deaf or hearing ferrets. That is because the term HOH ferrets don't exist. Therefore, ferrets don't get picked on as much as us humans do.

Ferrets are more pure beings who live on a higher level.

Large ferret groups are very accepting of any ferret, no matter if deaf or hearing.

Some ferrets may become hoh due to presbycusis. I am certain they maintain their membership and ferret ranking, and the other ferrets just gesture more broadly until they acclimate.

I have been curious about if I am Deaf or HOH. I cannot hear without reading lips, but I speak. If I do hear it's usually just one word out of each sentence. So, I hope to hear the main word in that sentence that lets me clearly know what is being talked about. Ok sometimes it does not work, but most times it does. Although at my last hearing test it was noted my hearing loss is affecting my speech. Also hearing Aids will not help my hearing to make the cost worthwhile. This was said by the ENT who did my testing for disability.
You can't hear but you can read lips and speak verbally so you are a deaf oralist. I know because there were many of them at NTID. They rarely used ASL with other oralists. Some HOH people can use voice phones with hearing aids and can understand hearing people. Deaf people like me can't do those things at all and always use ASL.

The only thing I really come across negatively is the pointless and inevitable game of "Who's the deafest" which becomes a boring and repetitive. I can't hear this, I can't use the phone, I have the flattest audiogram, I have no ears, I'm properly deaf, genuine deaf people hear absolutely nothing (virtually unheard of, but doesn't stop many a candidate from trying for the crown).

I'm happy with deaf to describe everyone who cannot get by from oral/aural communication under normal everyday circumstances in the way that hearing folks use it. If you back out of engagements because you can't follow them or need augmented communication of any kind you come under deaf, then Deaf for the primarily sign-using culture.

It just seems like some people aren't interested in getting involved in a long or involved conversation with me, since I need people to slow down when fingerspelling, or need them to repeat or explain unfamiliar signs. From my perspective, the first people at Deaf Coffee that started to talk to me were the ones that seemingly had a lot of patience and/or experience with new signers.

*shrugs* It could also be a misinterpretation on my part.

Or it could be that they are people who already spend a lot of time in situations where they have to accommodate others, for whatever reason, and at a Deaf Coffee they just want to relax and talk about the football game, or their dogs, or their kid's antics, or whatever- and it's not that they think badly of you or any other newbie, they just are tired and strained and looking forward to unfettered conversations, if that makes sense.

I have seen a notice or two online about Deaf Coffees or other events where they have politely asked people to understand that this is their relaxing social time, not the time they want to take helping others understand sign language.

I can understand that, even while I can feel sad, wistful, and regretful about it, too.

Or it could be that they are people who already spend a lot of time in situations where they have to accommodate others, for whatever reason, and at a Deaf Coffee they just want to relax and talk about the football game, or their dogs, or their kid's antics, or whatever- and it's not that they think badly of you or any other newbie, they just are tired and strained and looking forward to unfettered conversations, if that makes sense.

I have seen a notice or two online about Deaf Coffees or other events where they have politely asked people to understand that this is their relaxing social time, not the time they want to take helping others understand sign language.

I can understand that, even while I can feel sad, wistful, and regretful about it, too.

Oh dear! I hope I didn't give you the wrong impression! I've never felt anyone thought badly of me for being new, and I don't feel "sad, wistful, or regretful" about Deaf Coffee being a social event, not an ASL education seminar! On the contrary, that is the very reason I go!

Although I'm an intense extrovert, there aren't many places I can go where I can socialize like I can at Deaf Coffee because of my CAPD. I have been nothing but grateful that something like Deaf Coffee exists where I can talk with wonderful and patient people without my hearing issues being a problem.

this bugs the ever living s**t out of me.

deaf means I can not hear

BUT

Deaf means I have been accepted into the "clik"

This isnt high school. Ive never been labeled Deaf, so I guess Im not good enough to be in the "clik", hence more reasoning as to why there is a rift between "new deaf" and "old deaf".

Oh dear! I hope I didn't give you the wrong impression! I've never felt anyone thought badly of me for being new, and I don't feel "sad, wistful, or regretful" about Deaf Coffee being a social event, not an ASL education seminar! On the contrary, that is the very reason I go!

Although I'm an intense extrovert, there aren't many places I can go where I can socialize like I can at Deaf Coffee because of my CAPD. I have been nothing but grateful that something like Deaf Coffee exists where I can talk with wonderful and patient people without my hearing issues being a problem.

No, *I* feel sad, wistful, or regretful that my sign skills are not yet at the point where I feel confidant that I can communicate with a deaf person who doesn't have to work really hard to understand me.

this bugs the ever living s**t out of me.

deaf means I can not hear

BUT

Deaf means I have been accepted into the "clik"

This isnt high school. Ive never been labeled Deaf, so I guess Im not good enough to be in the "clik", hence more reasoning as to why there is a rift between "new deaf" and "old deaf".

clique

We had a member here (now permabanned) that did not like it when I mentioned something similar....said something about "blaming the deaf community for not feeling accepted".

Deaf cliques vary in the deaf world....even back in my college days there were many of them...some would not even talk to others unless they wore specific clothes, etc.

You get 'em all....deaf or not.

clique

We had a member here (now permabanned) that did not like it when I mentioned something similar....said something about "blaming the deaf community for not feeling accepted".

Deaf cliques vary in the deaf world....even back in my college days there were many of them...some would not even talk to others unless they wore specific clothes, etc.

You get 'em all....deaf or not.

well the way I take this is probably how most would take it,

you have someone who feels like an outsider that has been cast aside by the hearing community and when they look for a little hope in the deaf community and are turned away again thats pretty bad. I know it happens everywhere..but I personally hate how any person or group of people can and will act ELITE over another group.

interesing thread, i quite like this topic, however could one explain to me what is 'old deaf' and 'new deaf'. It's abit vague, any clear examples please?

Back