Deaf Asexuals?

mimi

Reaction score
I would like to know if there are any fellow deaf asexuals on this forum. (Asexuals are people who are not capable of experiencing sexual attraction and therefore don't have the desire to have sex.) As an asexual, I'm capable of experiencing romantic/emotional attraction. I hope to find a well-educated deaf asexual guy to share my life with. I don't want to lead a lonely life in the future :)

I would like to know if there are any fellow deaf asexuals on this forum. (Asexuals are people who are not capable of experiencing sexual attraction and therefore don't have the desire to have sex.) As an asexual, I'm capable of experiencing romantic/emotional attraction.:)

I would fall into the asexual category. But I'm also Gender free (means I dont into feel like either male or female)

Hi Mimi,

Yes, I do have more than a few well-educated Deaf male friends especially my brother here in New York State and they are over 30-40 years old. I am not sure any one of them is a member on here at AllDeaf but who knows a couple of them may be a lurker with a zero number of post. Unfortuately, my brother prefers a hearing woman. :roll: I doubt he will ever find one who is interested in him but a low key profile deaf woman who is well-educated do works wonder for him but he won't take it.

Do you mean you're looking for a companion, but not a lover? Is that what asexual is? I admit I really don't know much about that subject.

Have you ever read "The World According to Garp" by John Irving? If not, you should. It's fantastic book with an asexual character.. It's also a movie starring Robin Williams but, as always is the case, the book is better.

I would fall into the asexual category. But I'm also Gender free (means I dont into feel like either male or female)

I'm not sure why you said "also". You identified yourself as an asexual, which means you don't like men or women. Then you said you also don't like men or women.. Am I missing something here?

Thread: Deaf Asexuals? Reply to Thread
gender free means I don't consider myself male or female

Sorry.. I didn't see the word "feel".. I read it as you don't like males or females... You said you don't *feel* like a male or female. Meh.

After a late marriage, a traumatic divorce, and an annulment in the Catholic Church, I know that I shouldda been a nun. :cool2:

Part of it is that I had an undiagnosed hearing loss, and never realized how much I lip-read. That thing about hearies misinterpreting people watching peoples' lips as a sign of sexual interest when it isn't, and being falsely accused as some kind of diffuse nympho really squelched anything for me. I told them that I am celibate, so any sexual attraction I do have is my business, and mine only. They wouldn't believe it.

impossible, every deaf I know are too frickin horny

While you may be joking, this isn't a particularly okay joke to make. Would you appreciate it if someone said "it's impossible for people of (your ethnicity) to be gay, because all the ones I know are straight!" (or vice versa)?

Asexuality is as much a sexual orientation as being heterosexual or homosexual, and should not be dismissed off hand because you have not met any or many asexuals yet.

in my experience, when one person in a community "comes out" as asexual, 100 other people "come out of the woodwork" expressing their asexuality, too. Some knew they were asexual and didn't talk about it, many others didn't know what asexuality was but now finally have a word for how they feel... because the first person was brave enough to talk about it.

And since this is the first in our community, perhaps we should give them as much respect as possible?

I agree with showing respect. While it probably wasn't intended to be hurtful, the OP has made a clear statement about who they are. It's better to show support in situations like this.

My Great Grandmothers brother was asexual. He married a lesbian, and from what I heard their relationship worked out quite well. There us someone out there for you.

While you may be joking, this isn't a particularly okay joke to make. Would you appreciate it if someone said "it's impossible for people of (your ethnicity) to be gay, because all the ones I know are straight!" (or vice versa)?

Asexuality is as much a sexual orientation as being heterosexual or homosexual, and should not be dismissed off hand because you have not met any or many asexuals yet.

in my experience, when one person in a community "comes out" as asexual, 100 other people "come out of the woodwork" expressing their asexuality, too. Some knew they were asexual and didn't talk about it, many others didn't know what asexuality was but now finally have a word for how they feel... because the first person was brave enough to talk about it.

And since this is the first in our community, perhaps we should give them as much respect as possible?

I'm not joking and I do understand about it mean. For deaf, I never know of anyone but hearing. :roll:

I'm still confused about what asexuality is. I've googled it, but it's not registering with me.

Does this mean the person who is asexual does not have any desire for sex?

How do you know if asexuality is a preference, as oppose to someone who may have an underlying medical or psychological issue that may be treated and help increase sexual desire?

Back