deaf and Military service

classictruck

Reaction score
I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to join the service any branch however i have hearing loss in my right ear and will have a hearing aid this week . also some loss in my right. anyone know how i can still join the service and how to go about it. or anyone have the scores i need to pass the hearing test.

thankyou

danielle

Contact a recruiter to get the specific information that you need.

Coming out of high school, I wish I had ADA at the time. I was denied enlistment by all branches and it is a sticking point of my life. So, if I was in your young shoes if they deny you enlistment sue under ADA.

Coming out of high school, I wish I had ADA at the time. I was denied enlistment by all branches and it is a sticking point of my life. So, if I was in your young shoes if they deny you enlistment sue under ADA.

somehow I don't think that is going to work. :(

I tried to enlist after high school, too, with no success. I talked to every branch recruiter. They recruiters were respectful and appreciative of my interest in serving in the military, but all told me, "No."

somehow I don't think that is going to work. :(

Cheetah is right. The military is under no obligation to follow the ADA, or any rule on disability for that matter. There is no "equality" in the military. Definitely contact your recruiter because a waiver isn't impossible (extremely rare and difficult, but not impossible), but you will most likely be told no if you don't fit their standards.

They don't deny you to discriminate they do it for the safety to you and the others who are with you.

Any hearing aid use, present or past, is an automatic disqualification. You will need to waiver out of it, which is difficult, especially if you don't have a college degree or weren't in the military in the past. No waiver = no entry for anyone who has ever used a hearing aid.

You can always get a civilian job working with the military if that fails.

Last edited:
It's not an ADA issue.

Might not....but....we'll never know until we try
Remember women and gays had to sure the military in order to get in
Not true. There were no law suits in those cases.

Women have been part of the military since World War I. They didn't have to sue in order to join the military. Also, it wasn't suits that changed the DADT law.

There is no law that says everyone has the right to join the military.

I suggest any questions about enlistment be directed to recruiters. Each service has different requirements, and some things change over time. They will have the latest and most complete information.

Back in the day when I enlisted, we couldn't even have removable orthodontic retainers or pierced earrings, and women couldn't have tatoos, short hair, be married or pregnant, or beyond the weight limits. I had to delay my enlistment until I was past my retainer time, and I had to gain five pounds. When I did marry later, I had to get command permission, and when I became pregnant, I had to get special permission from the Navy to stay in. Obviously, things have changed since then.

However, they still do have physical requirements for joining the services. You will have to contact a recruiter to find out what they are exactly.

My SO has the flattest feet you could ever hope to see. He had to get a waiver to join because of that. From how he tells it to me, it sounds as if it wasn't easy.

My SO has the flattest feet you could ever hope to see. He had to get a waiver to join because of that. From how he tells it to me, it sounds as if it wasn't easy.
No, they're not easy to get.

Which service did he join?

Even the recruiters don't know jack squat. :/

Tried to join a civilian duty at the Navy - They wouldn't even hear anything from me. F 'em.

Even the recruiters don't know jack squat. :/

Tried to join a civilian duty at the Navy - They wouldn't even hear anything from me. F 'em.
Why would you go to a military recruiter to get a civilian job?

Not true. There were no law suits in those cases.

Women have been part of the military since World War I. They didn't have to sue in order to join the military. Also, it wasn't suits that changed the DADT law.

There is no law that says everyone has the right to join the military.

While I don't disagree with your post, you are well aware of the hardship women had to go through to receive EQUALITY within the service.

Military service is a position and in every part of society all have a equal chance to these position. Maybe not a right but equal opportunity. So for the service to say a person could not enlist ONLY because of deafness IS discrimination.

Qualification is an entirely separate matter and all candidates must be given an equal shot at qualifying..........remember long ago women where not even given the chance to qualify as fighter pilots because (well, I'm a man and I can't remember the stupid reason used).

Back