deaf and Military service

While I don't disagree with your post, you are well aware of the hardship women had to go through to receive EQUALITY within the service.
I was in the service for 24 years, and lived thru those changes. I can't say that I approve of all of them.

Military service is a position and in every part of society all have a equal chance to these position. Maybe not a right but equal opportunity. So for the service to say a person could not enlist ONLY because of deafness IS discrimination.
You have the right to apply for a position. You don't have a right to be accepted. One must meet the criteria for a position.

Qualification is an entirely separate matter and all candidates must be given an equal shot at qualifying...
If that qualification requires hearing, then one has to meet that qualification. Same for vision and physical fitness.

...remember long ago women where not even given the chance to qualify as fighter pilots because (well, I'm a man and I can't remember the stupid reason used).
I was part of the staff who made the press arrangements for the announcement of the first women to attend Navy flight school to become pilots. I was there for the press conferences, the media tours, and the interviews. I wrote some of the press releases. Our command was in charge of their training. You aren't telling me anything that I don't know. You are telling me some things that you don't know.

The first military women pilots were not fighter pilots. That is, they flew non-combat aircraft and missions. Women weren't allowed in combat zones, therefore, they couldn't fly combat missions.

My father was medically discharged from the Army after he got malaria in Japan and the Army fitted him with his first hearing aid. He only had a mild-moderate loss, but was medically discharged. He understood why they did it, and at the time he was a Linotype operator for the Pacific Stars and Stripes newspaper. Not anywhere close to the fighting. He was in an office.

Thank you all for posting. Im figuring out how else i can serve. so i guess another year of the peacecorps.

thank you

Peace Corps is wonderful. If that's what you're doing now, be proud. It's an excellent and challenging way to serve your country and make a real difference in the area where you are posted.

I congratulate you for that, in every way.

Not true. There were no law suits in those cases.

Women have been part of the military since World War I. They didn't have to sue in order to join the military. Also, it wasn't suits that changed the DADT law.

There is no law that says everyone has the right to join the military.

I had a great aunt that was an army nurse before that. I want to say Spanish American War but am not sure. Do know she was stationed in the Philippines at one point.

Back