Deaf and hearing couple!

ghsh1996 said:
Hi Murli, Why your kids use fingerspellings? Why cannot they learn sign language? My husband is a hearing. He know sign language well. My husband and I dont allow my son to use fingerspelling only. We taught him sign language before he learn to use voice. My son sign very good. He is a hearing also.

hi, good to hear that your son and husband sign well. last time i taught them to use sign language.... but it is hard for them to learn it......they know some sign like gestures, mum, dad, and few words... i hope they will learn sign language....

Murli

I have been dating the woman of my dreams. She isabsolutely perfect. We get along exceptioanlly well. I am learning ASL formally at college and she is teachign me as well. Makes learning sign more meaningful to me. We are planning a life time together and prayfully we will be together forever.

I'm deaf! I had been seeing a hearing man, who worked with me. When he asked me to go out with him, firstly I wasn't sure because he had never meet the deaf people and I was the first deaf person he met me, but secondly he would learn and I thought good. Later we had problems with communication and that was not very easy. He didn't want sign languages. Most we wrote notes. We felt uncomfortable. He changed his mind not going out with me, as he didn't want to learn more. I was shattered. At that time he was transferrable to another job. He is now married to someone else, who is not deaf.

Also I had been seeing another hearing man, who was netball coach to my team. He uses sign languages he can and that is great. When we went out, most people thought he is deaf but he is not. LOL! He had been dating 2 deaf women so far. Sadly we didn't work out well as we had some reasons anyway.

Of course I have been going out with the deaf men. No matter who I am going out with and whether he is a hearing or deaf man. Depend how we feel for each other.

Cheerio :)

i am deaf and date hearing men
but i am single right now resently broke up with HOH man few months ago cuz things didn't work out between us
it was my first time date HOH man cuz i always date hearing men since i was 12

any hearing hubby or wife, they would something bad that deaf wasn't aware of.

That what I saw on Desperate Housewive on 17th shows from 1st Season. I never knew how scary if I had a hearing wife behind my back.

I am deaf who is married to a hearing man and we have been married 7 years. I admit we do have problems (what relationship doesn't??), BUT they are nothing related to the deaf/hearing issues. We have 4 beautiful hearing children.

J (my husband) knew some ABC's when we met... A friend of mine (deaf) decided to apply for a job where he was working and I had to go in with this friend since he could not read lips very well so we went in and I had to "interpret" for this friend. I don't know why this friend did not get a real interpreter in the first place! Anyway, J was dying to ask me out, but he didn't know enough signs, so this friend worked with him... J and I became good friends so I began to teach him, as well. Within 2 months, he was able to sign some and had enough courage to ask me out. LOL We became inseparatable (sp?) almost immediately.

He says my being deaf does not bother him at all. I can do everything except hear. He also tells me he loves it because we can't argue about which music to listen to!! He's a music freak... I told him he better enjoy it while he can cause our daughter is almost 8 and she's starting to get into music and pretty soon, they will be going at it! Hee, hee.

:stepping off the soapbox:

kmjbmama

EDGE said:
any hearing hubby or wife, they would something bad that deaf wasn't aware of.

That what I saw on Desperate Housewive on 17th shows from 1st Season. I never knew how scary if I had a hearing wife behind my back.

Explain yourself more... If your saying that all hearing / deaf relationships will end up with problems then I think you need to open your eyes up and look around this group a bit because that honestly doesn't appear to be true.

ghsh1996 said:
hi pomeranian, sorry I dont agree with you about rare. Very rare hearing and deaf people stay together. Many hearing and deaf couples cannot handle to stay together because of commucation. They would fight over they feel left out.

I have a very good friend who is deaf. She married her hearing man for 17 years. She told me that she never see many hearing and deaf people can stay so long time like us. We agree that we are rare.

Well, my Mom is hearing. My Dad is Deaf. They have been together for 30 years. They love each other very much !

I have been deaf for 6 years. First husband after 20 years left me because I went deaf. My second husband loves me for who I am now. He has been there for me the whole step of the way. I got lucky I guess. He is a great person.

well..

hi everyone!! this is my first post on this website. I am a CODA and have never dated a deaf or hoh person before but am willing to try. I have been to deaf functions and have seen many hearing people try to date deaf or hoh people only to have a short meaningless relationships to have sex with them. SO BE VERY CAREFUL of these kind. I believe that a mixed relationship can work out if you are just understanding and willing to communicate. Communication is very important in any relationship. My father's parents never learned sign and also with my Mom's family. They are just grateful that I know sign language and I will teach anyone who truly wants to learn. I recently got reunited with an old HOH friend of mine (she is PERFECT in my eyes) but I don't think she is interested in me..anyway I am just happy to be friends with her..its a great relationship...sorry I am dragging on. Just wanted to put in my two cents and say HI!!-Simon

hi everyone

no plm im deaf and my francee is hearing we planning to get married soon we along fine she is training to become interpeter some day we love each other so much so i m sure we will be together long time hopeally smile

hear me now said:
I have been deaf for 6 years. First husband after 20 years left me because I went deaf. My second husband loves me for who I am now. He has been there for me the whole step of the way. I got lucky I guess. He is a great person.

Geeze I'm sorry that your first husband left you just cause you went deaf.. 20 years is a long time, but I'm very glad that your second husband loves you just for who you are....

Some men are worth to keep ;)

I am hearing, but my girlfriend is deaf. My best friend in highschool was deaf, so I knew sign before we met. She was more nervous about us dating than I was. I hadnt brushed up on my sign in years when we met, for the first few days we went out we depended a lot on pen and paper but after about a week we had no communication problem. I really dislike the steretype and prejudice that is placed on some hearing people that we are 'impatient' I have nothing but patience when it comes to learning new things.

And for hearing people that dont know sign but meet someone deaf that they like, it shouldnt be viewed any differently than for example an english and french couple. At first with any relationship there are gaps, but I think one of my most favorite parts about dating a deaf girl is getting into the deaf culture and learning a new language with her.

It takes patience from both people.

SB_GB_4ever said:
I just wanted to know because i have heard that deaf and hearing couples are kinda rare. Is that true? My girl and I have been together for 8 months. She is Deaf and I am hearing. Just a question for yall.

My mother is hearing and my Dad is Deaf. They have been together for 38 years. My mother always makes sure that my Dad wouldn't feel left out during the soicalize. She interpretered what other hearing people said. My mom has a good observation and visual reader in ASL pretty well.

By the way, my Mom passed away 16 years ago. I miss her.

Kalista said:
My mother is hearing and my Dad is Deaf. They have been together for 38 years. My mother always makes sure that my Dad wouldn't feel left out during the soicalize. She interpretered what other hearing people said. My mom has a good observation and visual reader in ASL pretty well.

By the way, my Mom passed away 16 years ago. I miss her.

Im sorry to hear that. Thats kind of your mother to be so aware of your father during social settings. Thats one of my biggest down falls, I am good at sign but its very difficult for me to interpret and sign while taking in a conversation in a social setting. So I am always putting one person on hold either my girlfriend or the other people in the group so I can try to catch her up on whats going on. Its something I have really been working on, at least she knows I am trying.

went believe in somethink try to work on it

Pomeranian said:
Sorry it is not rare. I have seen it everywhere. I once married to hearing man but ended up divorced after 9 months of marriage. That sucks!!
.how are you doing?if you believe it is going to happen but that i will have to work on it.went believe in somethink try to work on it

I am married to a Haarign Man and would have it no other way for my personal reasons! Im very happy and grateful to have a pair of ears but glasd they arent mine cause i LOVE being deaf!

hi everyone,

i'm new to this site and the deaf community. i'm not so sure this is the right forum to post this topic in, and if someone can direct me to one or a resource, i'd truly appreciate it. i'm hearing (i hope that's the correct term) and have a deaf bf who is able to hear with the use of two hearing aides and also reads lips excellently so has had no need to utilize ASL for the past few years even though he knows it. since he incorporates both the hearing and lip reading, most people don't even realize he's deaf until later in the conversation. my concern though, is that this can cause friends and coworkers to momentarily or for longer intervals, forget about this fact which then adds to the frustration in a lack of proper communication. i find myself in this situation from time to time as well and am upset with myself for letting myself slip in this manner. i'm wondering if someone can help me out with better communication with him, outside of learning ASL, since he doesn't use this anymore.

on a side note, since this is a relationship forum... i've been with my bf for over a year now and we've seriously spoken about marriage, kids, and our future together. i love him to pieces and would do all i could to make our relationship work, and vice versa. i have never met anyone who works so hard to be the best in everything he does. the level of respect i have for him grows each day that i see his perseverance and my love only grows as well. it's tough, no doubt. communication in any relationship is key - no matter the hurdles. it's a matter of finding a way to work through those obstacles if you really love and care about each other. this is my first hearing/deaf relationship so i'm learning more than he is since he's had a number of relationships before me (he's 4 older than me).

if anyone has any questions or advice for me, don't be shy!! :afro:

love and godspeed to everyone.

Married a year

Hearing people have trouble communicating with other hearing people and deaf/deaf and hearing/hearing marriages hardly ever last so of course it's hard for deaf/hearing. My husband and I are finding communication to be our biggest problem. We are in counseling now. It's just the same as any relationship where you have to learn each other's communication styles. He's just got a very different style. LOL :rifle: (LOL)

I think so......

I just wanted to know because i have heard that deaf and hearing couples are kinda rare. Is that true? My girl and I have been together for 8 months. She is Deaf and I am hearing. Just a question for yall.

....many of my Deaf friends want to marry a hearing person. I personally just want to date or marry someone who is right for me.

Back