Dad sells son's 90-dollar video game online for more than 9000

We have guitar hero I & II. You can buy the guitar separately or as a package. In fact, if you already have a guitar, no need to purchase another one. I have been looking for guitar hero III (game only) since it came out and it has been virtually impossible to find.

I'm with Banjo on this one. If a kid is acting out of hand, no sense in rewarding bad behavior. The gift was never given. My stepdaughter got caught doing something extremely naughty just before her birthday this year. We ended up cancelling her birthday party on account of her poor choices. What is the use of discipline if it is not meaningful to the child?

That is just it. A gift, by definition, is not a reward. And one can usually achieve temporary compliance through these techniques in behaviorism, but the effects are rarely long lasting. It just makes the kids sneakier, and results in no lasting attitude changes. Attitude changes are necessary for long term behavioral changes. And that is accomplished through cognitive means. Not to mention the actions of the father convey the message to the child that it is completely acceptable to profit by taking that which was intended for another and converting it for one's own use. So, now, when the kid steals one of Dad's DVDs and sells it to get the money he needs to smoke his pot in a more secure location, it is the lesson the parent has taught him.

How do we know he didn't? The story didn't say one way or the other.

Even if the dad didn't, the schools tell the kids that using pot is wrong.

Do you honestly think that the teen boy didn't know pot smoking was "wrong?"

My school and parents didn't teach me that pot smoking was wrong in the 1960's but I for sure knew it. I doubt that any kids now aren't aware that smoking pot is wrong.

If the kid was smart enough to use video games, he was smart enough to know that smoking pot would get him into trouble.

Again, I did not mention the father didn't, you read me wrong, I asked you how do you know he already did? and now you saying if he didn't then the schools tell kids << now how do you really know that all school provide these kind of programs?

That is just it. A gift, by definition, is not a reward. And one can usually achieve temporary compliance through these techniques in behaviorism, but the effects are rarely long lasting. It just makes the kids sneakier, and results in no lasting attitude changes. Attitude changes are necessary for long term behavioral changes. And that is accomplished through cognitive means. Not to mention the actions of the father convey the message to the child that it is completely acceptable to profit by taking that which was intended for another and converting it for one's own use. So, now, when the kid steals one of Dad's DVDs and sells it to get the money he needs to smoke his pot in a more secure location, it is the lesson the parent has taught him.

Exactly, well said Jillio!

But the dad had not yet given the game to the boy. The boy never possessed it.

Intention. And I'm quite sure that he told his son that the game had been purchased for him as a gift, and was now being denied. Otherwise, where is the logic behind selling it?

Do you mean that you believe the teenage son didn't know it was "not right" to smoke pot? Puh-lease!

Like you said, teens are not children. I can't believe he didn't know smoking pot was "not right". :roll:

"Not right" is a subjective assessment.

Did I say anything about taken him to a doctor and rehab? no I didn't. I just said I don't agree with how he handle the situation.
No, you didn't but the original post that I was referring to in my post that you replied to, was this:

Originally Posted by Liebling:)))
Like what I said before, I don't punish him if he was caught for second time but send him to physican first before to counsellor/rehab because he need the help, not punishment.

Good grief! And you think the dad over reacted?

Compared to physicians, counselors, and rehab, I don't think the dad over reacted.

That's a risk no matter what the dad does. For one thing though, he needs to keep the son away from the bad friends. Dad needs to keep a closer watch on the son.

Perhaps Dad needs to spend a bit more time teaching his son to make better judgements regarding people and situations, instead of looking for quick fixes such as behavioral control methods that are effective with animals, but do little to achieve results with humans.

"Not right" is a subjective assessment.
OK, "not right" in the eyes of his parents, his school, and the law. In other words, he knew that smoking pot was not acceptable to those agencies of society, and that he would most likely get into trouble if caught.

So? How many times should the dad allow the son to smoke pot before he punishes him? Maybe the dad wanted to make sure that the first time would be the last time.

That is highly unlikely, given the prevalence of pot smoking.:giggle:

No, you didn't but the original post that I was referring to in my post that you replied to, was this:

Yes I know, but that doesn't mean I agreed with the poster that you replied to, I just answer your question about the father being over reacted? :)

OK, "not right" in the eyes of his parents, his school, and the law. In other words, he knew that smoking pot was not acceptable to those agencies of society, and that he would most likely get into trouble if caught.

Exactly. So why not teach him to make more in line subjective judgements? That requires time and effort, not quick fixes. If simple punishment were effective in stoping drug use, we would not have prisons full of drug users.

I will if you will. :)

You accused me for make an assumptions - look yourself what and how you made posts here. *shake my head*

All what I made my post is suspect and suggestion since the article written "My innoncent son......" sound a first time to me because I often read article about teenagers in several threads how and what the parents humilated them etc. Most of articles written "My rebellious son or daughter....." but I saw those word "My innoncent son....." for a first time is here.

Perhaps Dad needs to spend a bit more time teaching his son to make better judgements regarding people and situations, instead of looking for quick fixes such as behavioral control methods that are effective with animals, but do little to achieve results with humans.
We don't know whether or not he did both. The press doesn't cover father/son chit chats.

The story wasn't intended as a serious discourse on parenting techniques. It was an attention-grabbing human interest story. It succeeded in its goal--get people to read the story.

That is highly unlikely, given the prevalence of pot smoking.:giggle:
Maybe, maybe not.

I know many adults who "experimented" with pot when they were kids, got caught and punished, and were "scared straight." They never used it again. That does happen.

Exactly. So why not teach him to make more in line subjective judgements? That requires time and effort, not quick fixes. If simple punishment were effective in stoping drug use, we would not have prisons full of drug users.

Good point there.

Yes I know, but that doesn't mean I agreed with the poster that you replied to, I just answer your question about the father being over reacted? :)
I was only making a specific comparison between his reaction and the "rehab" reaction. I wasn't comparing his reaction in general to other forms of discipline. Compared to a father/son chat or some kind of restriction, it would be over reacting. Compared to sending the son to rehab, it was not over reacting. That's the difference.

Drug rehab for a first offense? Having his son labeled and put on record as a drug abuser seems much worse than selling a game on eBay.

I think you misinterpreted my posts.

It would be worst if you punish/humilate your child to the public or ebay then it will make your child sneak from you more and more then lead him/her addict the drugs and wrong path.

I don´t agree to punish my child but help my child if he or she was caught for second time. It´s better than worst later.

To me, humliate a child for sell his/her material things to the public or ebay is the worst - it affect child´s self esteem. I rather help my child than punish/humilate him or her.

Maybe, maybe not.

I know many adults who "experimented" with pot when they were kids, got caught and punished, and were "scared straight." They never used it again. That does happen.

Ah, yes.....but experimentation implies more than once.

Back