D-Link Router

This thread is not about technical stuff on routers. IF you want to talk about technical stuff about routers, go make a new thread! The creator of the thread only asked about connecting 2 computers to one high speed line, that's all.

I wanted to confirm myself first, indeed switch is better than hub, and proved myself recently. Ya know, if using hub between router and videophone... it will NOT work! VP simply refused to negiotate with hub, so I finally threw in switch between router and VP, viola it worked!

I am not saying that hub is bad, just that it does not have ability to function with direction involved. Switch, only cost little more money, and moneywise it is cheaper to get switch instead of hubs.

diehardbiker65, you apparently don't know much about the difference between hubs and switches.

For five machines or less, a hub is more efficient than a switch. For more than five though, a switch is usually more efficient.

The fact that hubs are dumb can actually be a good thing. Switches spend time analysing and processing the frames that they receive. Hubs just let them go right through. Switches have to spend time analysing the frames and determining which port to send them out and spit spanning tree frames into the network, hubs don't.

Ya know, if using hub between router and videophone... it will NOT work! VP simply refused to negiotate with hub, so I finally threw in switch between router and VP, viola it worked!

There are two problems with that statement:

1. VPs use a LOT of bandwidth when they're being used. Computers normally don't.
2. The VP does not 'negotiate' with the hub or with a switch. That doesn't even make sense as VPs operate on layer 7 of the OSI model (layer 5 of the Internet model). Application layer stuff doesn't deal with the underlying physical stuff.

If you had a problem using a VP with a hub, it was because of collisions.

Back