D-Link Router

Iceriver

Reaction score
Im wondering how does a router works, and if you purchase one from any computer store, and hook it up on a second computer, would it get the internet up and running? I know a router is a shared internet from the main computer via cable modem. Do I have to call my internet service to set it up? I have Rogers High Speed cable modem. My second computer doesnt have internet and I just wanted to know if I use a router, it would have internet without ordering for extra cable modem and monthly service.

Im wondering how does a router works, and if you purchase one from any computer store, and hook it up on a second computer, would it get the internet up and running? I know a router is a shared internet from the main computer via cable modem. Do I have to call my internet service to set it up? I have Rogers High Speed cable modem. My second computer doesnt have internet and I just wanted to know if I use a router, it would have internet without ordering for extra cable modem and monthly service.

Yes it will get the internet up and running to your other computer but ONLY if your other computer has a wireless network card.

You do not have to call your internet service to set it up.

Are you looking to hook it up with the VP or not? If not, you can get a better router than the D-link. You should get the Linksys or similar.

Are you looking to hook it up with the VP or not? If not, you can get a better router than the D-link. You should get the Linksys or similar.

She have 2 computers so I think she mean that hook it up other computer which other computer dont have interent on the computer only one have interent :)

She have 2 computers so I think she mean that hook it up other computer which other computer dont have interent on the computer only one have interent :)

Oops, I misread what she said. Linksys or something router would work. D-link routers aren't reliable and they cause weird problems.

Oops, I misread what she said. Linksys or something router would work. D-link routers aren't reliable and they cause weird problems.
I agree about D-link.. Anyone that I know that has a D-link has had problems with it. I don't think a wilreless card is necessary unless the router only supports wireless connections. I would personally stay away from wireless unless you can't get a wire to the new compter. Also, you my just need a hub and not a router to accomplish this. One thing to consider is if your provider has permissioned your system based on its MAC address. If so, then you would need a router that is capable of MAC address cloning. Some ISP's provision based on MAC address.

I agree about D-link.. Anyone that I know that has a D-link has had problems with it. I don't think a wilreless card is necessary unless the router only supports wireless connections. I would personally stay away from wireless unless you can't get a wire to the new compter. Also, you my just need a hub and not a router to accomplish this. One thing to consider is if your provider has permissioned your system based on its MAC address. If so, then you would need a router that is capable of MAC address cloning. Some ISP's provision based on MAC address.

I was only assuming that he would want to have wireless internet for the computer which is why i said that a wireless card would be vital.

He didnt specify laptop or PC so i was unsure. I agree though that a hub might be a better route.

Yes it will get the internet up and running to your other computer but ONLY if your other computer has a wireless network card.

You do not have to call your internet service to set it up.

How do I know if my other computer has a wireless network card?

What's the difference between Linksys and D-Link? How would Linksys works better than D-Link? Educate me.

There ARE routers that have wireless point with hard wired connections at the same time. My CompUSA router has both. If Iceriver has a laptop (2nd computer) she can connect it with the wireless antenna with a wireless card on the laptop up to about 150 feet radius.

You do not need a wireless router to connect 2 computers to the internet. If you have a router for your VP, that should work. I have the SR-200 router for my Sorenson VP and I use that to connect my pc and my boyfriend's pc to the internet and it works. :)

What's the difference between Linksys and D-Link? How would Linksys works better than D-Link? Educate me.

Because it's how they're made and reliabity sucks on D-link. They would have mind on its own or act strange and can cause internet slow downs, many things can go wrong.

linksys and d link are different brands of routers, its just like different brands of jeans. Really basically the same thing.

Are we talking about PC's or laptops, i should assume PC.

Do you want wireless internet or do you just want both PCs to have internet?

linksys and d link are different brands of routers, its just like different brands of jeans. Really basically the same thing.

Are we talking about PC's or laptops, i should assume PC.

Do you want wireless internet or do you just want both PCs to have internet?

I have two PCs, new and old. I want both to have internet. My primary one has a cable modem but I want other computer to share internet via the primary one.

Btw, I'm a she.

Does the old PC have network card (10/100) also? You should get a hub or router to hard wire connect to both computers. You don't need wireless connection for both. Wireless connections are meant for laptops that can be carried around the house or whatever.

Does the old PC have network card (10/100) also? You should get a hub or router to hard wire connect to both computers. You don't need wireless connection for both. Wireless connections are meant for laptops that can be carried around the house or whatever.

Yeah, I know about laptops wirless connectins. I My old PC should have network card, but to make sure, how do I find out? I only need to know what router to use.

Yeah, I know about laptops wirless connectins. I My old PC should have network card, but to make sure, how do I find out? I only need to know what router to use.

Check on the computer where they have list of installed hardware or check behind your computer and see if you can find a jack that looks bigger than a dial up phone jack, that's network card. I don't know much about PC. I know more about Mac. :)

I love dlink router... There's no such thing sucks... It's good stand!

Your opnion is different view.. okay...

I love dlink router... There's no such thing sucks... It's good stand!

Your opnion is different view.. okay...

I agree with you, Dlink is good...I have SR-200 and don't really like it, but I used my bf's dlink on my VP instead of SR-200 and it worked much better!

Check on the computer where they have list of installed hardware or check behind your computer and see if you can find a jack that looks bigger than a dial up phone jack, that's network card. I don't know much about PC. I know more about Mac. :)

OK, I checked my old PC, it has a network card. I see a bigger jack next to a dial up phone jack.

I noticed that there are different brands of router, which one is best?

Who uses a router? does it work great? What brand?

Back