Curious Question

Deaf/HOH should be able to join military?

• Yes

Votes: 19 48.7%
  • No

Votes: 19 48.7%
  • No opinion

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't know

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
My name is laurie...I am hoh (getting worse more quickly than I would have liked...
I am confused about where I might fit in some places but not accepted by other sits because I have been chewed out 3 times now. I have only one more year untitl my husband retires I need to be up to speed before the next semeter...I really want to teach younger students. My college degree is a BA in secondary music education, I really would love to have friend and someone who can mentor me a litle when my grammar is bad (I am eager to learn so much more. UVU gives me free tuition because he is employed there. I don't want to have learned so much and have it become a language that I won't use or forget. I love teaching!

Welcome to AD, but how is your post related to this thread about the deaf joining military? :) Threw me off a bit.. :lol:

My friend once was in army, he mentioned that deaf person can be a sniper. Being a sniper usually performs solo or partner up with a spotter. They require maintaining the silent communication.

But it seems like they are not as aggressively encouraged as they do the men.

They are very aggressive but... remember you couldn't find any article specific what sex of the soldiers were being in heavy firefighter so that why we called them "soldiers" or specific division that participates in the firefight so we don't know how many females in the division.

Voted yes. "Deaf people can do anything except hear" by IKJ. As deaf soldier, they can be trained to drive the military vehicle, helicopter co-pilot, NAVY flight communicator (like stand and making signs for plane to land in).

I have a Russian Military Book, because they did not believe that I am deaf, so they sent me to Russian Army Training, but too bad I live in America. :)

I wouldn't mind to join the US Army, because I know for sure that Russian Army's training is way worser than US.

Texan Guy, do you want this russian military book? Just replace my picture to yours. :laugh2:

I don't know if you guys all know this but the military has literally every job that is in the public work world. There's veterinarians, doctors, computer technicians, kitchen work, and all that. It's not just about fighting but also about maintaining peace. When I was thinking of deaf people joining, I was thinking for the support roles such as those listed above, not combat situations. Many recruiters and servicemen that I have met do not see any reason why deaf/hoh can't do these positions which would help to free up some able-bodied personnel for combat. Also studies shows that about 10% (if I recall the percentage correctly) of the servicemen tend to lose at least 10% of their hearing once they finish basic training and then gradually lose even more as their term of service continues due to the loud noises of combat. So there are deaf/hoh in military it's just that they're late deafened and as long as they can serve their purpose, they get to stay.

exactly what Liebling does... although I'm not too sure exactly what she does

Yeah, if i remember right, Liebling works for the U.S. Military
but NOT in the military.
I did work for the military for several years too, i am retired
now due to disability.

Women now allowed to be in combat.

for support purpose such as driver, "loading/unloading", etc... they are not allowed to engage in combat but only in self-defense

I would enlist for Navy if I could. There are plenty of military bases/hospital I could make a difference at. Its a tough call to tell a person who is very capable, qualified, and educated, that they cannot have the privilege to serve their country.

for support purpose such as driver, "loading/unloading", etc... they are not allowed to engage in combat but only in self-defense

Women can be the MPs, combat engineers (my ex's MOS), convoy protection, even fighter pilot.

Authenic, sure, I'd love to have it; only if your book has the English in it. :lol:

Okay New Question

Okay I know it's been a while since this topic has been viewed. I am not quite ready to give on this yet. :D

I was planning on doing something along the line of Geospatial Engineering, Networking (computers), heavy equipment (construction), or even Mechanics if I were allowed to someday be able to join. I doubt many of these jobs would rely heavily on hearing to be able to do a job well done. I've done networking, heavy equipment, and mechanical work in the past and the only time I ever needed to "hear" was during training. I have tutored some aspects of Geospatial Engineering in college through the surveying class even though I never took it but my boss had me tutor it anyways since it was the mathematics portion of the surveying class that my tutees had difficulties with so I've had some exposure to that as well.

So I reckon my question is this.. am I correct to assume that these jobs do not rely heavily on hearing? If not then why can the deaf not be allowed to do these jobs and thus freeing up some personnel to perform the other perhaps more critical jobs? I know they do have quite a few of these positions available in the "public" sector of the military but it's not the same as being a full-fledged soldier.

I say they should. Deaf and HoH personnel would be ideal for positions requiring a lot of visual skill. For obvious reasons it would be difficult to put a deaf/HoH person in a radio or battlefield positions where they would be required to follow verbal orders on the spot. However those with CI's should be waived from this as long as they can carry a spare battery with them in the field at all times.

I know, I would not want to be in combat.

Deaf or Hearing. I have high respect for the brave ones that do. Just not for me.

I honestly to say no because Deaf people is not fully understanding in communication skills.. But some Deaf can do that if they wish to but just depends

Wow, some people sure have a low opinion about those who are deaf. Is it so hard to believe that deaf people want to and can serve in the military? I personally have wanted to join since I was 14 and every recruiter that I've spoken to have said that if it wasn't for my hearing loss, I would have no problem getting in and have literally all of the jobs available to me (except those that bar women). Many have said they would be glad to have me if it wasn't for the regulations being the way it is right now.

A little background on me.. I have been deaf since I was 8 months old due to meningitis. I have total hearing loss in my right ear and about 85% in my left ear in which I wear a hearing aid. I was placed in mainstreamed school and exposed to cued speech. I had no sign language once I started Kindergarten. Over the years I've had one bad transliterator after another but was still able to maintain high grade point average (3.00+, don't remember the exact gpa) with no changes to the cirriculum including several college prep classes. I took 3 years of spanish as well and averaged out an A-/B+ in those classes and they were mostly oral. I graduated back in 2003.

I also have a B.S. in Applied Studies with no help from interpreters/transliterator. I also never had a tutor for any of my classes. I was mostly on my own despite the overwhelming efforts of the disabilities office to help me with my classes. I found most of these efforts to be a bother and prevented me from truly focusing on my classes that some classes I went without.

On top of all that I maintained a job during my college years as a Tutor for mathematics, sciences, and several other classes. I was ranked "super tutor" twice, an honor given only once a year to 2 or 3 tutors out of 120-150 (depending on the need at the time).

Plus quite a few of the jobs that I've had supposedly "required" hearing to be able to perform the job but they hired me on anyways. I worked at a concession stand, as a floor supervisor of the local roller rink, tutor, several factories (where I ended up having the better advantage in a very noisy environment), worked as a camp counselor with several international campers under my charge, worked as a sign language interpreter at the school for a student who started in the middle of the year, and I'm sure there's more. I've had at a minimum of 7 paid jobs since I was 14 and many volunteer positions.

With that given, do you think that ALL deaf people should be barred from military service? Granted, there are few deaf people who would be able to perform well enough to pass BCT (Basic Combat Training) but shouldn't they be granted the chance to prove that they can do it?

Sorry if this is so long, I'm a little annoyed that people do not always think "out of the box" when it comes to "disabilities." It's seems to be general perceptions that rules when it comes to discussions like these. Again, my apologies.

Back