Curious Question

Deaf/HOH should be able to join military?

• Yes

Votes: 19 48.7%
  • No

Votes: 19 48.7%
  • No opinion

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't know

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters

horsecrazy

Reaction score
Hello everyone..

I'm curious to see how many of us think that it is unfair for the government to prevent deaf/hoh from joining the military (army/navy/air force/marines/coast guard) on the basis of their hearing loss even when they would be more than capable of performing the job regardless.

I strongly agree! :yesway:

Oh, by the way, horsecrazy, welcome to alldeaf.com! I noticed you're from Minnesota, as well. If you can contact me at dothehokeypokeydotcom, maybe we can meet over Christmas, as I'll be down in the cities.

They don't let you join the military for active duty, but would likely hire you for office positions or desk jobs where active duty isn't required.

Hello everyone..

I'm curious to see how many of us think that it is unfair for the government to prevent deaf/hoh from joining the military (army/navy/air force/marines/coast guard) on the basis of their hearing loss even when they would be more than capable of performing the job regardless.

as much as I would love to serve for this country... but I do not support disabled people to joining military - (except non-vital jobs). This is a life-and-death business where any single miscommunication or mishap can result in loss of life. the best we can do is provide non-vital logistical support for them.

sorry

I vote no. I don't think anyone who has health problems should join the military because of the risk that they cannot save our country. If one can't hear...they will never hear any warnings, or cries of help... if one can't see, they will never see who had been shot, or one do get hurt and needs of help...if one cannot walk weel due to diabetes, cripple, or any knee problems, how will they run for their lives? How will they able help other by carry one person by a weak knee or bad foot? Anyone who has a missing part of their bodies, like a spleen for an example, how will they surive the war? They will not heal or stay alive...

There are soo many reasons I strong agree that who has are hearing impaired shouldn't go for miltary...even with people who has health problems...

Well for me, I don't know...

Once, my brother who is in the army right now.. He did ask his General one question once, he wonder why can't allow deaf or hard of hearing join in, he was like due to their hearing loss and his general says that all of in army have to depend on their eyes, ears, feelings and sometime smell for army and etc like that, my brother told him that the fact is hearing people have "lousy" with ears and feelings, even smell too, he think that we should use deaf or hard of hearing part in this because they have best at eyes, feelings and smell than hearing people does and his general just stood there and silent for a few moments, then said that he have a good point right there. I'm very surprised that my brother have that guts to say that in his face.

my vote says no!

because i cant understand communicate hearing people as military!

my great-grandfather been navy for longtimes till he got sick and my father got join air forces for 2-4 years.

as much as I would love to serve for this country... but I do not support disabled people to joining military - (except non-vital jobs). This is a life-and-death business where any single miscommunication or mishap can result in loss of life. the best we can do is provide non-vital logistical support for them.

sorry

i agree.

Not unless the military change how they do things, I vote no.

sorry

I also agree. I voted no.

Far be it to like someone. But by Gawd I like her. At least she likes birds.

My name is laurie...I am hoh (getting worse more quickly than I would have liked...
I am confused about where I might fit in some places but not accepted by other sits because I have been chewed out 3 times now. I have only one more year untitl my husband retires I need to be up to speed before the next semeter...I really want to teach younger students. My college degree is a BA in secondary music education, I really would love to have friend and someone who can mentor me a litle when my grammar is bad (I am eager to learn so much more. UVU gives me free tuition because he is employed there. I don't want to have learned so much and have it become a language that I won't use or forget. I love teaching!

Back