Cure for a Fingernails Biter?

We make my daughter wear gloves all the time. Any where she goes, we tell whoever is in charge that she is to wear the gloves - parent's rules.

Ewwww...nail biting is like picking your nose- gross. All those microorganisms under those nails is just sickening. Im greatful to not be a nailbiter.

I hate to admit... but I bite my nails as well, I've been biting them since I was a very young child.... at first I used to bite them due to result of boredom or nervous or scare. But now, I rarely bite them... I only bite them when I'm nervous or really stressed.

My parents tried to put the nasty tasty stuff of nail polish that should help you to prevent from biting them, it didn't stop me. They also tried the hot sauce as well, didn't burn my tongue. They also made me sit on my hands whenever I'm watching tv.... that didn't work as well.

Now I found a way that prevents me from biting my nails..... Nail polish!!! Man, that stuff is nasty to bite into it so I consistently put nail polish onto my nails and it stops me from biting my nails! It works!!! Now my nails are normal size.... thanks to the nail polish.

But as for your son... why don't you get clear nail polish and paint his nails... see if he likes biting his nails with that stuff on!!! It works on me! :)

You, too?!? Believe me, I've tried everything. Hell, my mom tried everything to stop me from biting my nails...even hot sauce but the problem was I ABSOLUTELY LOVE hot sauce. Blame it on my late dad and brother for playing a practical joke on me when I was a little girl. They told me after they took a bite on a yellow vegetable and said "yumm, this is good!" So I took one bite, all of sudden my tears slowly came out while I grinned like a fool and nodded my head at the same time. I said, "Yes it's good." It turned out it was hot pepper. Anyway, back to this subject, two things that I wouldn't bite are nail polish (yes they do taste very NASTY!) and artificial nails. My nails are still short and stubby, LOL. I still have the polish and artificial nails sitting there waiting for me to put on which I don't have time. *sigh* Oh well.....

Anyway as for your kid, rockin' robin (strange, I have a friend with that same username at the sports forum. She also lived in same state briefly) it's tough trying to get your son put on clear nail polish unless he is willing. Usually, boys wouldn't go near the nail polish unless they go in full goth. :giggle: Anyway, if that doesn't work, just leave him be and try to keep him busy with activities such sports or something.

Long time ago, when i was kid and my step sister forced me to do biting my nails if i become her sister so i did biting my nails ever since but that time, there was "Cyanne (SP?) Peppers nail polish" to prevent nail biting - it worked for me and i stopped doing that until i got older and i go back to my old habit..... oh well...

It is kind of like smoking. If the person wants to quit, they will. If they want to keep at it, they will. What I did when I decided to stop biting my nails was to scrape my nails on a bar of soap. That flavor served as a reminder that I was putting my finger in to my mouth, since it had become something I did not even notice I was doing until I went too far, and drew blood. Been free of nailbiting for many years now. :D

I used to be a fingernail biter, still do from time to time.

However what fixed it? Omiting gluten, increasing protein to about 200g worth of meat every meal in my diet and eating a lot of fruits. Apparently fingernail biting can be a pica and is a sign of iron deficiency.

Dab some of "Dave's Insanity Sauce" on your fingernails.

(for those who do not know what this is...it's a hot sauce that contains some of the hottest peppers in the world...yikes).

We make my daughter wear gloves all the time. Any where she goes, we tell whoever is in charge that she is to wear the gloves - parent's rules.

Gloves all the time, even in the summer? It might work in Minnesota but not in here - Arizona.

She has different gloves for different activities - gloves for church, playing outside, even when in bed (which is when she chews her fingernails the most).

my mom's a nail biter... no matter what. when she's nervous she'll chew away, when she's bored she'll chew... etc. It's a habit she hasn't been able to break. For her, putting on fake nails (the ones you glue on), helps but only for a while. some people just do it without even realizing they're doing things, just because it's a habit. For me, it's hair pulling (I am constantly pulling out hairs from my legs, sometimes my arms). I do this in my sleep too even.

how about taping up fingers? medical tape or bandaids over the finger nail portions of the fingers? maybe not, cause then it's noticable and people would ask what he did to hurt all of his fingers. Hm.. nasty tasting stuffs on the nails, I don't know. with a teenage boy, that can be tricky to work on... hopefully you will be able to figure out something that helps him break of the habit.

I tend to bite my nails when I'm nervous or stressed, I guess it is a relaxing thing to do. my brother and sister do it too but they go tooo far, they have no nails and their fingers are really sore and red

You could work on a reward system, if in a week there's no evidence of chewed nails he gets ...something.

Back