Cued Speech

e

Reaction score
Anyone who uses it? I think it's very rare!
I never use it but I tried to learn. It wasn't that easy in the beginning for me. It's sort of sign language along with speech of every words you say. I find this interesting and pretty helpful. I learned about this first time when I met my good friend many years ago. She grew up using it with her family. It actually helped her to improve with speech, grammar, and writings.
What do you think about this?
There are a couple of sites about CS- www.cuedspeech.org
www.cuedspeech.com
And I found pictures of CS sign language here's the link: http://www.cuedspeech.com/majors/cshand.htm

My parents tried that with me. It didn't work out too well so they just struck to trying to teach me to talk somehow by having me hold my hand on the person's throat during speech therapy and allowing me to learn to lipread. I do not know for sure why it didn't work out for me since I have a profound hearing loss (it would have benefit me somehow). Maybe they just didn't stick to it long enough to see it have any effect with me.

my parent and my school did teach me how be ESL but after that I'm enter L.S.D then somehow I'm become ASL. Right now, I'm kind of lost interest about ESL but I will keep learn and not give up again. I used been speech since i was lil girl then now it's gone that's why, I have keep going and learn about speech and ESL too.blush!

i know people who use cued speech - they seem to think it's helpful BUT they also use ASL. they prefer cued speech for only some certain occassions.... :dunno:

::look puzzled:: I honestly don't understand what is cued speech... but I do think if person think it's best for them the go for it. I prefer ASL!:)

It helps the person learn the English language phonetically. I have read about it and it is HIGHLY successful. It's not possible to embrace the nuances of the English language solely by writing or reading - phonetics is the biggest factor. Cued speech merely signals what's being pronounced, NOT by word, but by pronounciation. It's weird, I know and I don't know how it works, but results look promising.

I use cued English and ASL. I prefer using cued speech in education and when discussing that involves a lot of English words that ASL doesn't have.

I just love being able to cue fluently although I hardly use it because ASL is the lowest common dominator language - meaning that ASL is so universial and it's the easiest language for the deaf to use - so I use it.

I mean, can you sign this in ASL:
The probable reason of this is suggested by Count Gregoire ("Hist. des Sectes"), who says: "Thomas Payne, qui adressa une lettre aux Theophilantropes, eut ete regarde comme profes s'il ne les avait censures sur divers points." What were these different points to which Paine objected cannot be gathered from Gregoire, a rather hostile historian of the movement though the best authority as to its personnel: this very Discourse, as well as Paine's other writings, will sufficiently suggest the misgivings he felt at the ceremonies which soon invested a religion which seemed to grow out of "Le Siecle de la Raison," and beside whose cradle he watched with his friends Bernardin St. Pierre and Dupuis.

You cannot sign that. I can cue that the way it is exactly intended - no problem!

-jeff

Hi there E :D

I had Cued Speech in the past and gotta admitted it is a very hard work but i do feel it does help me alittle rather than keepin my mouth closed and sign which i use that for long time..

ive got to admit.. i still use cued speech.. my mom uses it with me sometimes... it helps when i need to use my voice

Someone told me about this and i dont really understand much about it.

Originally posted by Wolfboy
Someone told me about this and i dont really understand much about it.

ehhh - i can talk cuz that's how my parents raised me ..... ahh well - it was back in the 80s and 90s

I was tried to learn cued speech when I was in elementary school by my speech teacher. I never really understood the need for it so I never learned it.

Originally posted by netrox
I use cued English and ASL. I prefer using cued speech in education and when discussing that involves a lot of English words that ASL doesn't have.

I just love being able to cue fluently although I hardly use it because ASL is the lowest common dominator language - meaning that ASL is so universial and it's the easiest language for the deaf to use - so I use it.

I mean, can you sign this in ASL:

You cannot sign that. I can cue that the way it is exactly intended - no problem!

-jeff

Yes, I could sign this. I would read through it and then think into ASL and sign exactly what it means. As for French quotation, you can always give an ASL translation for it and explain that the quote was in French. Think about interpreter's job, how do they interpret all those professor's lectures? So, yes, it is possible. And no, ASL is not the lowest common language. It is very complicated, and some ppl cannot sign it. Thats why SEE exists.

I went to a mainstreamed elementary school or 6 years that had cued speech program as part of the deaf program. I have cued since I was in 1st grade til 6th. It helped a lot with speech because of being able to understand the pronounciations of words. Even I had an interpreter using cued speech during my french class in high school, it helped a lot. I don't use that method anymore..I either speak or use ASL because there is nobody I know here that uses cued speech as a form of communication. When my son gets older, the method of communication is entirely up to him. :)

Originally posted by e
Anyone who uses it? I think it's very rare!
I never use it but I tried to learn. It wasn't that easy in the beginning for me. It's sort of sign language along with speech of every words you say. I find this interesting and pretty helpful. I learned about this first time when I met my good friend many years ago. She grew up using it with her family. It actually helped her to improve with speech, grammar, and writings.
What do you think about this?
There are a couple of sites about CS- www.cuedspeech.org
www.cuedspeech.com
And I found pictures of CS sign language here's the link: http://www.cuedspeech.com/majors/cshand.htm

THANK YOU for the sites! :bowdown: I saw that last friday, the last friday for April. It was so interesting, and I was wondering at how it worked, so again, THANK YOU! :)

Interesting...some people were able to benefit from it and some werent.

Back