Crazy weirdo signing on! :D

I work with kids who are classified with having an IQ below 20. Most of them are in wheelchairs of some kind and have feeding tubes. Most of our kids either require special help to go to the potty or wear diapers too.
Oh wow.....so basicly profound MR kids? What made you decide to go into that line of work? I am familair with profound MR kids, since the more severe subtype of my syndrome can result in profound MR.
Safarigirl, I have a purple glitter mold too! And yes you two.I am OBESSED with the cool molds!

Oh wow.....so basicly profound MR kids? What made you decide to go into that line of work? I am familair with profound MR kids, since the more severe subtype of my syndrome can result in profound MR.
Safarigirl, I have a purple glitter mold too! And yes you two.I am OBESSED with the cool molds!

Yup, well, I worked with the special needs kids at my high school, and they had the profound kids like, shuffled away in some dark corner as if seeing them would make me not want to work with the kids, so of course I went over there and started to work with them! It was disturbing to see how they got treated sometimes, and to hear about their family lives. I believe that every person has inherent worth and dignity, so I decided to work with kids that others had decided would never achieve anything, if not just to make sure that they were safe and comfortable. :D Then I got my summer job at special needs care services, and now I'm at school to get a degree! Looooong story I guess, lol.

Ooo, I -love- pretty ear molds too, and now I'm exxxxxxxxxxtremely jealous that I don't have any! Lol. ;D

omg that's awesome!
I love my bling-bling earmolds LOL

and they had the profound kids like, shuffled away in some dark corner as if seeing them would make me not want to work with the kids, so of course I went over there and started to work with them! It was disturbing to see how they got treated sometimes, and to hear about their family lives. I believe that every person has inherent worth and dignity
Oh wow.......I thought it was pretty rare for profound kids to be mainstreamed. I thought most of them were in pediatric nursing homes or ICR homes.

Oh wow.......I thought it was pretty rare for profound kids to be mainstreamed. I thought most of them were in pediatric nursing homes or ICR homes.

I wouldn't call it mainstreaming per-say. More like kids who's parents cannot afford private school, or those who are in group homes run by the government who will not pay for private school. They have their own special class room and do not really venture out of it during the day. I wouldn't mind work at a school specifically for disabled kids either, or at a school inside a care facility either, but I like to work in the public schools because I feel like the kids there don't get enough of a chance and often get tossed aside.

In other words more complicated needs then your typical resource room? Very cool and welcome! I also have a moderately severe loss (drops to profound in my right ear)

Me too. My right ear is crap. My left isn't much better but I can at least understand certain tone.

Welcome Phillips.

wouldn't call it mainstreaming per-say. More like kids who's parents cannot afford private school, or those who are in group homes run by the government who will not pay for private school. They have their own special class room and do not really venture out of it during the day. I wouldn't mind work at a school specifically for disabled kids either, or at a school inside a care facility either, but I like to work in the public schools because I feel like the kids there don't get enough of a chance and often get tossed aside.
Still kind of surprised since I would think that profound kids would be easiest to fight for a specialized placement.
Oh good....so you're a big fan of continuum of placement? When certain people rant and rave about how evil insistutionization is.......GOD!!!! All I can say is that pediatric nursing homes are NOT the "warehoused state schools of years past"

Still kind of surprised since I would think that profound kids would be easiest to fight for a specialized placement.
Oh good....so you're a big fan of continuum of placement? When certain people rant and rave about how evil insistutionization is.......GOD!!!! All I can say is that pediatric nursing homes are NOT the "warehoused state schools of years past"

I am indeed to a degree. I do think that residential facilities of any kind, especially facilities for the severely disabled and nursing homes need to be monitored very, very closely. It's simply too easy for someone there to slip through the cracks, especially when they can't tell you if someone is hurting them.

Good morning all ! I am here in NY with this cold, snow, icy mess :-( My kids and I have a two-hour delay for school(s) and it gave me the opportunity to join :)

I am indeed to a degree. I do think that residential facilities of any kind, especially facilities for the severely disabled and nursing homes need to be monitored very, very closely. It's simply too easy for someone there to slip through the cracks, especially when they can't tell you if someone is hurting them.

That is true which is the reason why we need changes to make every residential facilities and nursing homes safe without abuse when the students and the patients are helpless. Those people that want to work in residential facilities and nursing homes should be screen to make sure they don't have any resentment or angry (very moody) attitude around students and patients. It is hard to know who is responsible for what they had done to them.

I know someday I will end up in the nursing home soon as I am 65 years old now. I am still able to move around and drive with my car to grocery and errands for my husband and myself. That is something we are concern about that too. No nursing homes are ever safe. I do hope there will be changes in them. :fingersx:

That is true which is the reason why we need changes to make every residential facilities and nursing homes safe without abuse when the students and the patients are helpless. Those people that want to work in residential facilities and nursing homes should be screen to make sure they don't have any resentment or angry (very moody) attitude around students and patients. It is hard to know who is responsible for what they had done to them.

I know someday I will end up in the nursing home soon as I am 65 years old now. I am still able to move around and drive with my car to grocery and errands for my husband and myself. That is something we are concern about that too. No nursing homes are ever safe. I do hope there will be changes in them. :fingersx:

I completely agree, I know that to work where I worked over the summer, I had to have a full, government based background check and a TB screening. But I also think that those working in residential facilities should have to have a psychiatric evaluation as well! Abuse in residential facilities simply unacceptable, and until the system goes through some changes, I can understand reluctance in placing any family member, child or adult, in one. If it wasn't for the fact that I'm not nursing certified, I'd definitely consider working in a nursing home. It just kills me inside to think of any elderly person in care being abused or neglected.

family

One of the reasons why family must visit often, and do a bit of looking around. My mother has early Alzheimer's. She recently got ha's and it has improved her quality of life so much!! She will be entering nursing home soon, and if I don't make sure she continues to wear them, they might not do anything about it. My sister is a social worker but she is too young to have the loss that seems to run in our family.

Back