Court: Seattle police OK to stun pregnant woman

Press: Court: Seattle police OK to stun pregnant woman[/url]

Great, now every pregnant woman is in danger of being stunned and the officers will have loads of fun with them.

The officers could have just threw the ticket into her car and let it go.

In fact, most states, we don't have to sign the ticket. Just give them a summon to appear and let them argue with the Judge.

The cops did not like being told, "No!" and they decided to be assholes about it rather than just either toss the ticket to her or just mail it to her along with a summon to appear.

She wasn't threatening their lives or being a danger to anyone. Just arguing with a police officer and they didn't take it very well.

What pisses me off more is they tasered her while she's very obvious that she is pregnant, endangering the life of the child.

Yiz

#1 i really doubt that this ruling is going to encourage police officers to have fun going around tasing people. Police officers have to go through very strict psychological screenings before they are hired or even given the right to train to be an officer.
#2 it is important that officers have the right to control anyone who is unstable - pregnant women can be very unstable especially when agitated. if police officers had to fear a lawsuit everytime they needed to control someone, we as civilians would be unsafe. People who argue with the cops can go from verbally defensive to very dangerous, especially when in a vehicle! there are reasons that in many states if an officer asks you to turn off the car and or step out you have to- that is for a)the officers safety b) the safety of the people around ie:students at a school!
#3 the only risk to fear as far as teasing a pregnant women would be if she had complications with her pregnancy or if she fell down on her stomach. and obviously she had no complications and she was sitting down already so she couldnt fall on her stomach

Problem with tasers is that police use tasers for the wrong reasons. Look up YouTube and you'll see instances whereas old ladies getting tased and a man who held a baby got tased and dropped the baby whereas the baby landed on her head. Now the baby has complications from brain damage.

People also died from being tased. Not a very safe weapon to be used. Especially when people are on drugs and alcohol. If a person is on drugs, the heart rate would be beating faster than normal, when tased, the heart beats even faster, resulting in a heart attack.

Tasers can also be abused whereas cops use the weapon to resolve even the tiniest problem when it shouldn't even be used.

Not long ago, a 10 year old got tased for not complying the mother's wishes after she called the police about him throwing a temper tantrum for not getting off his PS2 and do his homework.

Yiz

Pregnant woman is supposed to sign and comply with police, no excuse to be rebel and refuse to do whatever police say so police is doing right thing.

Like Vampy said, it is extreme to stun gun at her but she chose to not cooperate with police.

So, you'd rather be shot?

Before they had tasers they only had guns -- Which were used only as a last resort. They used intelligence, persuasion, patience, conversation, to get their way -- When all else failed and violence was imminent they brought out the guns.

Originally tasers were touted as an alternative for guns.

Instead they have become a replacement for intelligence, persuasion, patience, and conversation.

Before they had tasers they only had guns -- Which were used only as a last resort. They used intelligence, persuasion, patience, conversation, to get their way -- When all else failed and violence was imminent they brought out the guns.

Originally tasers were touted as an alternative for guns.

Instead they have become a replacement for intelligence, persuasion, patience, and conversation.

Exactly.

Yiz

You gotta be kidding! This lady was not "a child"...I'm sure she was told several times to exit the car....even took the keys out of the ignition...still she did "hang on to the steering wheel, saying..."I'm pregnant"!...So what...so are other thousands of women....She blatently used this excuse to get out of a ticket....that's all there is to it. If she would have signed to start with, then nothing like this would have come down.

If the police can't subdue an unarmed 10 year old without a taser, that's just incompetence.

You gotta be kidding! This lady was not "a child"...I'm sure she was told several times to exit the car....even took the keys out of the ignition...still she did "hang on to the steering wheel, saying..."I'm pregnant"!...So what...so are other thousands of women....She blatently used this excuse to get out of a ticket....that's all there is to it. If she would have signed to start with, then nothing like this would have come down.

Mothers with maternal instincts have a tendency to be overprotective of their unborn children. I'm not saying that's always the case, but some do have those instincts.

I just think that arresting someone who refuses to sign a ticket is a bit extreme.

She's not killing anyone or being a danger to society as a whole. Just being a pain, that's all.

Tasering a pregnant woman is dangerous to a unborn child. Do you realize that a taser gun has a 50k volt when delievered into the person's body, right?

The cop who did the arrest acted impatient. I don't know about you, but I would have thought that being patient is part of the cop's job.

Also, with the exposure of bad cops doing bad things to people on media television as well as places like YouTube on the Internet, more and more people are becoming fearful of police officers. The lady's reaction may be one of those people who has seen what bad cops do, so I wouldn't exactly put the blame on her fear and distrusts of cops.

I just think that the uses of taser is becoming a too much of a "problem solver" for just about anything, even at the tiniest little problem is solved by the use of a taser. There is such a thing as "over use" and "over abuse".

Yiz

"Tasering a pregnant woman is dangerous to a unborn child. Do you realize that a taser gun has a 50k volt when delievered into the person's body, right?"

Yeah, but is the unborn harmed?

"Tasering a pregnant woman is dangerous to a unborn child. Do you realize that a taser gun has a 50k volt when delievered into the person's body, right?"

Yeah, but is the unborn harmed?

The child is inside the mother, correct? What the mother feels is most likely what the unborn child would also feel.

What if the mother fell forward and landed on her stomach? Would that also harm the child from the impact?

Yiz

The fetus won't remember at all. I wouldn't sweat over it.

A fall is not enough to cause any harm to the fetus. The fetus is inside a well insulated womb, capable of absorbing shocks. We have many pregnant women fall and their fetuses are fine while they have bruises.

The fetus won't remember at all. I wouldn't sweat over it.

A fall is not enough to cause any harm to the fetus. The fetus is inside a well insulated womb, capable of absorbing shocks. We have many pregnant women fall and their fetuses are fine while they have bruises.

Source?

I'm sorry but the pregnant woman was warned. She was tased not only once, she was tased three times. With her being uncooperative she herself should be charged for child endangerment.

She used her pregnancy as an excuse. Pregnant or not, if I was being threaten to be tased I would cooperate. Then take the ticket to court and dispute it the proper way.

Remember the officers are the ones you look up to. When you need them to protect you and your family.

Never mind, i found my post.

add to edit. Yup, I am with babyblue.
She used her pregnancy as an excuse. Pregnant or not, if I was being threaten to be tased I would cooperate. Then take the ticket to court and dispute it the proper way.

Yeah. If lots of us dislike the idea for cops to use taser then we can always fill out the petition of rights to reduce from volt 50 to volt 30 or something. But no one do anything about it because we know we better be cooperative with cops afterall.

Back