Court of public opinion looms large in George Zimmerman murder trial

Civil Rights Association wants State Attorney removed from case

FCRA calls for Angela Corey's removal from local case

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -
The Florida Civil Rights Association has issued a letter to Gov. Rick Scott requesting for State Attorney Angela Corey be removed, and that a special prosecutor be appointed in the shooting death of Jordan Davis on November 23, 2012.

The two page letter to Governor Scott states that a new Special Prosecutor is needed to "suppress racial tension created in the failed prosecution by Corey and her staff that led to a not guilty verdict in the George Zimmerman murder trial of Trayvon Martin."

The letter continues to say that Ms. Corey created the appearance that she will, "not afford the Defendant a fair trial and will not afford the victim and the surviving case a fair opportunity to have their voices heard at trial."

J. Willie David, president of the Florida Civil Rights Association, continued the letter saying, "The Florida Civil Rights Association believes appointing a special prosecutor to replace State Attorney Angela Corey is the right thing to do for the victim, Jordan Davis, and the suspect, Michael David Dunn. The State and Federal constitutions demand public confidence in our criminal justice system with Corey and her staff has failed."

DOCUMENT: Read first part of letter |Read second part of letter

Channel 4 reached out to Angela Corey's office Wednesday night for comment on the Florida Civil Rights Association's letter. Her office simply responded with "no comment."

John Phillips, who represents the Davis family, released a statement calling the petition "sensational," adding:

"The Florida Civil Rights Association never called us, sought our input and yet went to the media with their opinion of what is "best for Jordan." We would hope anyone wanting to draft ANY petition, march, rally or anything else in Jordan's name would seek his family or family's attorney's support.

"The Florida Civil Rights Association did not ask for, and does not have, our support. They seek to remove Angela Corey's office from the case. This is a Jacksonville case, where the Jacksonville officers were on the scene coincidentally when it happened, performed an excellent investigation and the Jacksonville prosecutors were up all night collecting statements and interviewing Jordan's killer. The wrongs were clear. We have faith in justice, that Jordan will bring change to these laws, heal this country and we ask those with political agendas not use his name in vain or to send a contrary message.

"Ron, Lucy, their families, the other boys and I (John Philips) need your continued support and need your voice but we need to say the same message or our voice will never be heard. We need to change these laws and promote understanding of each other. We need to better the justice process and give voices to the voiceless. We will."

Civil Rights Association wants State Attorney removed from case | News - Home

Well, jury disagreed with you.
I don't care. You misunderstand my post. I just want the answer to my question which is "Did Scott shoot the white teen in the back?". What did the coroner find?

What's more, Scott had a duty to retreat but refused to retreat so he shot the teen instead, that's illegal. For NY, the color blue > Duty to Retreat Outside Home.

yMSv3Pf.jpg

WTF? That's injustice. Where were white protests at that time?

I don't care. You misunderstand my post. I just want the answer to my question which is "Did Scott shoot the white teen in the back?". What did the coroner find?

What's more, Scott had a duty to retreat but refused to retreat so he shot the teen instead, that's illegal. For NY, the color blue > Duty to Retreat Outside Home.

WTF? That's injustice. Where were white riots at that time?

Steinhauer's article said so but I'm not sure about credibility of this article.

The jury already acknowledged about Scott's case and they acquitted him as self defense.

White people don't care about their race, unlike black people.

Steinhauer's article said so but I'm not sure about credibility of this article.

The jury already acknowledged about Scott's case and they acquitted him as self defense.

White people don't care about their race, unlike black people.

Your last sentence is interesting. What would happen if white students at Gallaudet decided to set up a group called "North European Caucasian Society"? Sort of like the Asian Pacific student group, or all black fraternities ... ?

Would it be considered racist? :hmm:

honest question ..

I think your last sentence should be 'When white people care about their race, it is called racism, so when black people put their race before logic, it is also called racism".

Your last sentence is interesting. What would happen if white students at Gallaudet decided to set up a group called "North European Caucasian Society"? Sort of like the Asian Pacific student group, or all black fraternities ... ?

Would it be considered racist? :hmm:

honest question ..

I think your last sentence should be 'When white people care about their race, it is called racism, so when black people put their race before logic, it is also called racism".

Based on definition, yes, it is considered as racism to have specific race only group.

That's not what my last sentence saying. I see difference between white and black - white don't care about their race but black people take their race seriously.

If you kill or beat black male so there will be outcry from black communities, similar to Trayvon Martin, Rodney King and Oscar Grant.

Based on definition, yes, it is considered as racism to have specific race only group.

That's not what my last sentence saying. I see difference between white and black - white don't care about their race but black people take their race seriously.

If you kill or beat black male so there will be outcry from black communities, similar to Trayvon Martin, Rodney King and Oscar Grant.

I think the difference you see is that more modern day white people do not think in a racially charged mindset. They certainly did during our grandparents generation. When a white woman was raped by a black man, you would have lynch mobs and riots.

All of that was wrong ... so modern day black communities are mirroring what they once fought against. They need to also realize that it is wrong for them to this.

I think the difference you see is that more modern day white people do not think in a racially charged mindset. They certainly did during our grandparents generation. When a white woman was raped by a black man, you would have lynch mobs and riots.

All of that was wrong ... so modern day black communities are mirroring what they once fought against. They need to also realize that it is wrong for them to this.

Yes, I don't understand why black communities aren't changing and move on about past.

Zimmerman juror to ABC: He 'got away with murder' - CNN.com

"It is devastating for my family to hear the comments from juror B29, comments which we already knew in our hearts to be true. That George Zimmerman literally got away with murder," Sybrina Fulton said in a written statement. "This new information challenges our nation once again to do everything we can to make sure that this never happens to another child."
GZ got away with murder? I disagree. Scott definitely got away with murder because he shot the white teen in the back twice. Sybrina, do you agree or disagree?

Zimmerman juror to ABC: He 'got away with murder' - CNN.com

GZ got away with murder? I disagree. Scott definitely got away with murder because he shot the white teen in the back twice. Sybrina, do you agree or disagree?

Not so simple.

"Dr. LaPoint admitted he never said in the autopsy report that Cervini died from a gunshot to the back.

Prosecutor Finocchio admitted Monday that there was no way of knowing which of the two bullets hit Cervini first. She theorized he was shot in the back of the armpit first, then the chest.

Scott's lawyer, John Parrinello, said there is no way to ever tell for sure, but he contends the chest shot came first, and then the back armpit area.

Jurors were also shown photos Monday of the injuries suffered by Cervini. The pictures showed facial abrasions and leg abrasions.

Dr LaPoint testified that grand jury minutes are "riddled" with typographical errors, including a discrepancy in Cervini's documented weight. Parrinello pointed out the discrepancy.

Dr. LaPoint told Parrinello he cannot tell with any certainty which of the two shots that hit Chris Cervini actually struck him first. LaPoint added that he cannot testify regarding how far away the shooter and the victim were.

Under cross-examination, LaPoint reiterated that it was not possible to tell which bullet went in first."

Prosecution Calls Final Witness in Roderick Scott Trial - Rochester

Ohio gun group raises $12,000 for George Zimmerman

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) -- An Ohio firearms group has raised more than $12,000 to be spent on guns or a security system for George Zimmerman, the former neighborhood watch volunteer who was acquitted in the fatal shooting of unarmed teenager Trayvon Martin in Florida. But the money could end up being used to pay for Zimmerman's defense costs and fees.

The $12,150.37 check that the group wrote to Zimmerman is the result of a fundraising effort that was launched because the group believes Zimmerman's gun rights are being violated by the U.S. Department of Justice. The department has taken all the evidence from the trial, including the gun that killed Martin, as part of a civil rights investigation.

Zimmerman was acquitted earlier this month of second-degree murder and manslaughter in the 2012 shooting of Martin in a gated community in Sanford, Fla., near Orlando. Zimmerman, 29, told police he shot Martin, 17, after the black teenager physically attacked him; Martin's family and supporters say Zimmerman, who identifies himself as Hispanic, racially profiled Martin as a potential criminal and wrongly followed him.

The verdict sparked protests and calls for federal officials to charge Zimmerman with violating Martin's civil rights. Zimmerman's brother and one of his attorneys have said he receives threats and is concerned about his safety.

The Buckeye Firearms Foundation's check is meant to be spent on guns, ammunition, protective gear or a security system, said Ken Hanson, the group's legal chairman.

"The Department of Justice refused to return him his gun, and he's in need of protection," Hanson said. "The money is intended to be used for anything he needs to defend himself or his family. He has complete discretion on how to use the money."

The cashier's check was sent through certified mail and was scheduled to be delivered Friday.

Zimmerman's spokesman, Shawn Vincent, said before his acquittal all donations he received were deposited into a fund dedicated to pay for his legal defense costs and fees and managed by an independent administrator. He said the Ohio foundation's check could be allocated similarly.

Vincent would not say what the donations to the fund have amounted to. But he said they have exceeded the $120,000 that Zimmerman's attorneys had said was needed to put on a good defense before the trial started in May. The fund had raised almost $315,000 in January.

The Ohio foundation's fundraiser, which began last week, ended Tuesday. Hanson said donations were sent from 48 states and three other countries.

Vincent said Zimmerman has been offered free guns but such donations haven't been accepted.

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) -- An Ohio firearms group has raised more than $12,000 to be spent on guns or a security system for George Zimmerman, the former neighborhood watch volunteer who was acquitted in the fatal shooting of unarmed teenager Trayvon Martin in Florida. But the money could end up being used to pay for Zimmerman's defense costs and fees.

The $12,150.37 check that the group wrote to Zimmerman is the result of a fundraising effort that was launched because the group believes Zimmerman's gun rights are being violated by the U.S. Department of Justice. The department has taken all the evidence from the trial, including the gun that killed Martin, as part of a civil rights investigation.

Zimmerman was acquitted earlier this month of second-degree murder and manslaughter in the 2012 shooting of Martin in a gated community in Sanford, Fla., near Orlando. Zimmerman, 29, told police he shot Martin, 17, after the black teenager physically attacked him; Martin's family and supporters say Zimmerman, who identifies himself as Hispanic, racially profiled Martin as a potential criminal and wrongly followed him.

The verdict sparked protests and calls for federal officials to charge Zimmerman with violating Martin's civil rights. Zimmerman's brother and one of his attorneys have said he receives threats and is concerned about his safety.

The Buckeye Firearms Foundation's check is meant to be spent on guns, ammunition, protective gear or a security system, said Ken Hanson, the group's legal chairman.

"The Department of Justice refused to return him his gun, and he's in need of protection," Hanson said. "The money is intended to be used for anything he needs to defend himself or his family. He has complete discretion on how to use the money."

The cashier's check was sent through certified mail and was scheduled to be delivered Friday.

Zimmerman's spokesman, Shawn Vincent, said before his acquittal all donations he received were deposited into a fund dedicated to pay for his legal defense costs and fees and managed by an independent administrator. He said the Ohio foundation's check could be allocated similarly.

Vincent would not say what the donations to the fund have amounted to. But he said they have exceeded the $120,000 that Zimmerman's attorneys had said was needed to put on a good defense before the trial started in May. The fund had raised almost $315,000 in January.

The Ohio foundation's fundraiser, which began last week, ended Tuesday. Hanson said donations were sent from 48 states and three other countries.

Vincent said Zimmerman has been offered free guns but such donations haven't been accepted.

Ohio? firearms group? hmmmmmmm...... I'm wondering if that "Ohio firearms group" is part of FBI's terrorist watch list... Ohio is known as a breeding ground for extreme anti-government paramilitary.

if Zimmerman is that fearful of his life..... why not move to the most gun-restrictive state with low crime neighborhood? :dunno:

Ohio? firearms group? hmmmmmmm...... I'm wondering if that "Ohio firearms group" is part of FBI's terrorist watch list... Ohio is known as a breeding ground for extreme anti-government paramilitary.

if Zimmerman is that fearful of his life..... why not move to the most gun-restrictive state with low crime neighborhood? :dunno:

Because there is no such thing.

There are plenty of patriotic Americans who live in Ohio, too. I wouldn't jump to any conclusions without more information.

Because the type of people who would threaten his life as the same people who wouldn't obey the gun restriction laws. Duh!

Those people are also threatening Zimmerman's parents and even people who just happen to have the same name but aren't even related. Do you think they care about laws? It's against the law to threaten people with death and make obscene phone calls but they are doing it.

here :wave: heck he could move near to police station.

maybe he should be Mark Fuhrman's neighbor :dunno:
Now I know that you're being silly. :lol:

Those places aren't any safer than any other place.

TM's parents are disappointed with two jurors' interview as their lawyer, Crump said. The jurors followed the instructions but TM's parents wanted them to follow their hearts. Are they (TM's parents and lawyer) crazy or what?

TM's parents are disappointed with two jurors' interview as their lawyer, Crump said. The jurors followed the instructions but TM's parents wanted them to follow their hearts. Are they (TM's parents and lawyer) crazy or what?

My feelings are that the jurors are somewhat paranoid about all those death threats to Z & his family.....so in a sense, this juror is perhaps paranoid herself and thinking if she speaks out against Z, it might save her life in the long run.....Or...she just wants "publicity"...and the latter is what I believe.

My feelings are that the jurors are somewhat paranoid about all those death threats to Z & his family.....so in a sense, this juror is perhaps paranoid herself and thinking if she speaks out against Z, it might save her life in the long run.....Or...she just wants "publicity"...and the latter is what I believe.
Besides that, TM's parents and Crump said that the jury misunderstood the instructions. WTF are they talking about? One of the instructions told them that if there's no proof that GZ killed TM intentionally, then they must find him not guilty of murder. Sympathy, emotions, etc must be put aside. The parents are upset over it and blame the justice system and also SYG law. They will not win anyway.

Back