Court decides seniors can't reject Medicare

Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn't make sense that the government would not let you opt out of something unless they include it with the intention of having very high number of people on it (kind of like how the more people are on a given insurance plan, the more predictable the profit/cost will be).

"Generally, you are eligible for Medicare if you or your spouse worked for at least 10 years in Medicare-covered employment and you are 65 years or older and a citizen or permanent resident of the United States."

Medicare.gov - Medicare Eligibility Tool (General Enrollment)

Yes....I got call about this today....will set up an appt. next week to talk to someone about this.

And yes, I worked all my life and paid my taxes so...yes, I've paid the piper...now it's my time to collect.

Court can kiss my ass b/c I just switched health insurance and got rid of Medicare. I was qualified for Extra Help... Please look it up for those who dont know what the program is about. Thank You!!! :)

My wife was a county employee for 23 years and never paid SS taxes since her former employer has or had its own retirement fund for its employees. When she was terminated from her job, she applied for SSDI. It was rejected because she has not earned a total of 40 credits (required to be eligible for SSDI). She already has earned 20 credits from old jobs so she needs 20 more credits to go. She was very upset so she had to find another job that pays SS taxes.

So my point is that not everyone who works pays SS taxes (since someone in this thread said that everyone who works pays SS which is not always true). EX: self-employed people, county or city employees in some areas, workers at private businesses that pay under table, etc.

I am a USPS employee for 27 years and I pay SS taxes (old name-FICA) and even Medicare taxes that was added about 10 years ago (I don't remember exactly when).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back