Could budget cuts in the mainstream lead to increased enrollement at deaf schools?

Wirelessly posted

shel90 said:
Are they struggling academically? Not having enough language support? Both? No ASL? How?

I was raised orally all of my life. I struggled but did pass my classes. One doesnt have to get D's and Fs to struggle. There is the socio-emotional issue as well. That was my biggest struggle but yet, I was pushed to stay mainstreamed until I graduated. At least these kids got recognization that by being mainstreamed wasnt working for them and something is being done rather than ignoring the issues and keep pushing them to stay.

I cant answer your questions as I dont know a lot right now but the fact that 4 kids are being transferred from mainstreamed programs in one month alone says a lot.

that is interesting. The 4 years that my daughter attended her bi-bi school they didn't have a single transfer.

fj, I know you have a lot of beef with people here :) but I'm not trying to start anything. I'm curious about your daughter's academic and language history. What's all the contention? What's the back story there?

you can quit stirring the pot, fj. we all know you dislike DD, but no need to stir anything.

Pardon the ignorance, but what's DD? I keep reading that as "Developmentally Disabled" and I know that's not it. I don't understand why her daughter went from a bilingual school to something else and there's all this strife on the boards.

Pardon the ignorance, but what's DD? I keep reading that as "Developmentally Disabled" and I know that's not it. I don't understand why her daughter went from a bilingual school to something else and there's all this strife on the boards.

DeafDyke

I've seen many students struggle, "pass", and are totally not proficient. :( I was curious about what qualified as struggling...like, what was the struggle point? Why are they coming to you?

4 students in a month does say something. As an educator and someone who studies language development, I'm curious about *what* it says and *why* they are being transferred. Also, I have a lot of issues with this whole mainstreaming/LRE thing. It's pretty much an excuse for (a lot of) schools to provide less. NEEDS AREN'T BEING MET.

I'm TOTALLY awesome with kids who have disabilities of any kind in my classroom - but if I can't effectively teach them, then not only is it my ass on the line for things out of my control, but it's just not fair. :( And then I feel bad. *sigh* And like most of my colleagues, I inflate grades if I have to.

Ok, in my 10 plus experience in the Deaf ed field I can say that struggles could mean a range of issues....academically, socio-emotional issues, not being able to gain benifit from CIs, and trying to keep up with class despite having good speech skills...

My struggle was the socio-emotional one but because I was passing my classes, I was kept in the mainstreamed program despite my pleads to be sent to the deaf school while in middle school. As a result, my self-esteem was so severely damaged so by the time I was in my 20s, I was engaging in self-destructive behaviors just to try to fit in with my hearing peers.

Wirelessly posted

my daughter was born hearing but quickly became hard of hearing. We raised her with ASL as her primary language and she attended a bi-bi school through 1st grade.

At age 5, she received a cochlear implant. Her bi-bi school refused to give her appropriate services, so we transfered her to a deaf oral program (with strong sign support).

we continue to use both ASL and spoken language, but right now she attends an oral school.

My concern with these budget cuts in the public schools are the elimination of teachers qualified to teach deaf children. That's is when I support the idea of sending children to deaf schools...at least the teachers there are qualified to teach deaf children than a regular ed classroom teacher. IMO
Exactly. Unless there's a sizable established dhh program or a strong magent program, most kids in the mainstream will just get minimal "Resource Room" style accomondations. There ARE some really good mainstream formal programs...and those are way better then solotairing it.
I was kept in the mainstreamed program despite my pleads to be sent to the deaf school while in middle school. As a result, my self-esteem was so severely damaged so by the time I was in my 20s, I was engaging in self-destructive behaviors just to try to fit in with my hearing peers.
But you weren't even in a formal program. You were solotairing it. But yes, I completely agree with you that mainstream and oral really does a number on social emotional issues.........and it seems like that is REALLY swept under the rug by a lot of adminstrators of oral programs and pro mainstreamers.
DD, I think It's pretty unique To have an auditory access program within a traditional bi-bi school right now, but not for long: several prominent schools for the deaf have sent teams to observe my daughter's class this year along with videographers to document the approach with plans to try to replicate the program locally. the GAO sent a group to observe and assess the program as a potential model and I've heard that went well. And the school is working very closely with Gallaudet -
Not exactly. You have to understand that bi bi is really new. Before bi bi there was TC, which DID have auditory training and speech as part of its methodology Matter of fact, there's still a lot of Deaf Schools that do TC. I do think that it's AWESOME that the actual program at TLC is going to be replicated at other deaf schools.....I do think this might be the very beginning of a HUGE change, and maybe a truce in the communication wars......and I also think many hearing parents would opt for something like that.

All right, now I'm confused. TC? I'm pretty good with the lingo, but at least I know not to confuse anyone for being "Developmentally Disabled". :)

So...the school wouldn't adjust to her new needs with the CIs? I assume she got them and had sensitivities to frequencies? That just seems anti-CI to me.

The thing about dhh who can speak and speech read is that...the people who they are talking to forget that they can't hear! It would be *so* easy to accidentally turn your head while talking, nevermind trying to manage a whole class...

All right, now I'm confused. TC? I'm pretty good with the lingo, but at least I know not to confuse anyone for being "Developmentally Disabled". :)

So...the school wouldn't adjust to her new needs with the CIs? I assume she got them and had sensitivities to frequencies? That just seems anti-CI to me.

The thing about dhh who can speak and speech read is that...the people who they are talking to forget that they can't hear! It would be *so* easy to accidentally turn your head while talking, nevermind trying to manage a whole class...
TC = Total Communication.

The 4 years that my daughter attended her bi-bi school they didn't have a single transfer.
I do think that if your daughter's school had been more established and more of a traditional Deaf School, (and had the resources that a more established program would have had) they would have gotten a ton of transfers. I mean I think that it might have been known that Miss Kat's school was voice off Deaf with minimal hoh supports.

I do think that if your daughter's school had been more established and more of a traditional Deaf School, (and had the resources that a more established program would have had) they would have gotten a ton of transfers. I mean I think that it might have been known that Miss Kat's school was voice off Deaf with minimal hoh supports.

I think she is trying to put down people by constantly painting a rosy picture and expect everyone else to follow her way.

Wirelessly posted

TheOracle said:

actually, most kids with CIs can hear. That's the whole point, access to sound, and for the majority, speech understanding without lipreading.

the school was unwilling to provide, or even allow, any sort of auditory training (even one on one in her speech time) or spoken language in the school.

Wirelessly posted

deafdyke said:
The 4 years that my daughter attended her bi-bi school they didn't have a single transfer.

this is where the disagreement lies. My daughter's schol is exactly like the majority of deaf schools! They are voice off ASL with no value placed on spoken language at all. They do speech therapy, usually because parents want it, but spoken language is not at all considered to be equal to ASL and in certainly never used in instruction or in the classroom. Spoken language is considered to be "speech skills" and seen as something that a few kids may acheive, but most will not.

Wirelessly posted

deafdyke said:

this is where the disagreement lies. My daughter's schol is exactly like the majority of deaf schools! They are voice off ASL with no value placed on spoken language at all. They do speech therapy, usually because parents want it, but spoken language is not at all considered to be equal to ASL and in certainly never used in instruction or in the classroom. Spoken language is considered to be "speech skills" and seen as something that a few kids may acheive, but most will not.

I think she is trying to put down people by constantly painting a rosy picture and expect everyone else to follow her way.

You think FJ has been painting a rosy picture of the various academic environments she's been encountering in her quest for one that incorporates both ASL and spoken language?! I think she's made a pretty damning indictment of the state of deaf ed in her area today and has spent the past few years fighting for better education that includes ASL.

Back