Copyright Bill Makes It Easier to Target Illegal Filesharing

File-Sharing Pioneers Now Selling Music
Mr. Friis said that during the years spent in courtrooms and across negotiation tables, he and Mr. Zennstrom developed good relations with music industry executives. “You gain a certain respect for each other, through a good fight, so to speak,” he said.

Michael Nash, an executive vice president for digital strategy at the Warner Music Group, which has licensed its catalog to Rdio, said the duo’s history creating free file-sharing tools had been forgiven amid the industry’s search for a business model, as CD sales continued to decline.

“We resolved the past,” Mr. Nash said. “These guys are focused on the future.”
“The sale of DVDs once drove the movie business, but a lot of people don’t care about owning DVDs anymore,” Mr. Larner said. “We think that is going to apply directly to music.”

At the same time, music labels have become more flexible on licensing terms and no longer wrap individual songs in so-called digital rights management software, which often created technical problems for customers trying to get music services to work on various mobile devices.

we have won :)

Mind you - Niklas Zennstrom and Janus Friis are the one who created Kazaa. Funny how it turned out now despite of ugly legal battle in the past. I'm glad that RIAA/MPAA finally realized their own gaffe and greed that have gotten them to nowhere. Their reason has been wrong all along. Their corporate profits were dwindling down was NOT because of piracy.... it's because they did not stay abreast with the technological trend.

Mind you - Niklas Zennstrom and Janus Friis are the one who created Kazaa. Funny how it turned out now despite of ugly legal battle in the past. I'm glad that RIAA/MPAA finally realized their own gaffe and greed that have gotten them to nowhere. Their reason has been wrong all along. Their corporate profits were dwindling down was NOT because of piracy.... it's because they did not stay abreast with the technological trend.

Exactly right

Exactly right

:h5:

fore!!!!
2jdnm2t.jpg

Wirelessly posted

Royale said:
:zzz:

The Supreme Court of Canada will throw this proposed out instantly as soon as it becomes a law.

Heh, but it would be foolish to place trust in the SCOC. It's best to watch your six 'til the law is overturned.

Major vendetta here. Seems like RIAA/MPAA has more of a grudge than getting the laws fixed. Can't get their damn priorities straight.

Always seems that way when they try to attack things from the past. It's like they're nothing more than money grubbers.
smile.png

Interesting definition you have for "won"

It doesn't matter why their profits were dwindling....When you charge too much for a product the market has a way of correcting that. I really doesn't matter if they ever lost a cent to piracy....It doesn't change the fact that using products/services without permission is wrong.

Hall of Fame "winners"
Barry Bonds who "won" Home Run titles while taking steroids
Rosie Ruiz who "won" a marathon by taking a cab
Gaylord Perry who "won" baseball games by applying an illegal substance to the balll
Vijay Singh who "won" golf tournaments by turning in fake scorecard

See, where I come from people who gain success by doing wrong are not considered winners......quite the opposite in fact.

Does the RIAA/MPAA do wrong? Let's say they do. Two wrongs don't make a right......at least that is what I have heard. If what RIAA/MPAA was doing was corrupt or illegal there is a court for that. If what RIAA/MPAA was doing was truly greedy the market would correct that. But none of this justifies piracy.

Money grubbers? There are hundreds or thousands of these artists, for example music, who get their money either from royalty or from the sale of their music itself. Because of piracy they are seeing less money coming their way. Either way, it doesn't matter if money paid to well established music corporations to small time groups trying to start out in the music business they all still lose because of piracy. I don't support a criminal enterprise system or, worse, find ways to justify obscenely their criminal actions via their piracy route. No. I support that what's earned is earned. Money is due to them, all of it. They earned it.

Money grubbers? There are hundreds or thousands of these artists, for example music, who get their money either from royalty or from the sale of their music itself. Because of piracy they are seeing less money coming their way. Either way, it doesn't matter if money paid to well established music corporations to small time groups trying to start out in the music business they all still lose because of piracy. I don't support a criminal enterprise system or, worse, find ways to justify obscenely their criminal actions via their piracy route. No. I support that what's earned is earned. Money is due to them, all of it. They earned it.

RIAA wants to pay 6% (which is more than 4% less from original) royalty fees.... and not even split the profits reaped from lawsuit settlements to artists.

who's the money grubbers here? :hmm:

and did you not read the articles that artists are supporting P2P people? including Microsoft?

Interesting definition you have for "won"

It doesn't matter why their profits were dwindling....When you charge too much for a product the market has a way of correcting that. I really doesn't matter if they ever lost a cent to piracy....It doesn't change the fact that using products/services without permission is wrong.

Hall of Fame "winners"
Barry Bonds who "won" Home Run titles while taking steroids
Rosie Ruiz who "won" a marathon by taking a cab
Gaylord Perry who "won" baseball games by applying an illegal substance to the balll
Vijay Singh who "won" golf tournaments by turning in fake scorecard

See, where I come from people who gain success by doing wrong are not considered winners......quite the opposite in fact.

Does the RIAA/MPAA do wrong? Let's say they do. Two wrongs don't make a right......at least that is what I have heard. If what RIAA/MPAA was doing was corrupt or illegal there is a court for that. If what RIAA/MPAA was doing was truly greedy the market would correct that. But none of this justifies piracy.

your examples = invalid. the difference is..... there are rules in sport.
in this case - there was none. nothing illegal. no profit was made. hence - United States v. LaMacchia.

Hope the SCOTUS will roll back to original state but with some updates.

TXgolfer, should try to avoid reality cases with internet cases. It's probably for the better because what happens on the net is really virtual reality, not a proper representation of what someone would do in reality.

Like the way some people talk here, I'm sure they may be different in reality.

Better to use something comparative in virtual reality itself.. Because the comparisons just have too many potholes.

I see it as better to have common sense and knowing what's right and wrong rather than to defend a criminal enterprise system and lauding it.

I see it as better to have common sense and knowing what's right and wrong rather than to defend a criminal enterprise system and lauding it.

apparently - RIAA/MPAA has finally come to sense and see the common sense. They have been wrong all along.

your examples = invalid. the difference is..... there are rules in sport.
in this case - there was none. nothing illegal. no profit was made. hence - United States v. LaMacchia.

Hope the SCOTUS will roll back to original state but with some updates.

Old case....... NET Act is newer and says no profit is necessary. :)

Meh, starting to get boring.....(starting???)......Simple matter of right and wrong here. It is wrong to use a product or service without permission.....Period.

I argue the NET Act....you argue the older law....oh well. Right now the law says those Westboro idiots have the right to taunt funerals too. The law isn't perfect either way.

Wrong is wrong and Piracy is illegal. Those are undisputed facts.

"Undisputed facts." Isn't "right" and "wrong" are morals that are taught? Killing a dog in one culture is "right," while it is "wrong" in another culture.

Nah... what makes piracy "wrong" is that it violates the authors' moral rights.

Meh, starting to get boring.....(starting???)......Simple matter of right and wrong here. It is wrong to use a product or service without permission.....Period.

I argue the NET Act....you argue the older law....oh well. Right now the law says those Westboro idiots have the right to taunt funerals too. The law isn't perfect either way.

Wrong is wrong and Piracy is illegal. Those are undisputed facts.

Not at all. This is what I'm arguing

United States v. LaMacchia and http://www.alldeaf.com/computers-el...target-illegal-filesharing-2.html#post1595180

:wave:

"Undisputed facts." Isn't "right" and "wrong" are morals that are taught? Killing a dog in one culture is "right," while it is "wrong" in another culture.

Nah... what makes piracy "wrong" is that it violates the authors' moral rights.

Wrong is wrong......Hard to dispute that .... :LOL:

But I agree with point 2

Back