Copyright Bill Makes It Easier to Target Illegal Filesharing

Also let's not forget that some software can be pirated without knowledge to the consumer.

This is most commonly done with popular applications and software, yet again once relating to:

- Microsoft's Windows line
- Microsoft's business line
- Adobe's anything line

You've probably even received spam email in the past about it. Sometimes these prices may be the same as retail or a few bucks off.

These people make money off this form of fooling the buyers, no different than the typical Nigerian scammer scheme.

It is piracy too.

Is it annoying and bad, detrimental for society? Yes
Can we judge them right or wrong to do this? No, because we don't live there (YMMV on this issue)
Will it go away? No, never.

Yep....in fact I feel like I have been watching a pirated copy of My Bodyguard this entire thread.....:lol:

Ok, go to wal mart and buy Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 then install on your computer so I will forward to see you online.

You just need break from debate here and it is getting headache; and it is easy to agreement to disagreement. :lol:

Now you want a real situation I can present one to you.

In the old days of medieval era of 1000 AD, the factions of present day Europe are clashing over themselves feuding over rights to the lands.

One side, whom we'll call the Crusaders believe solely in expanding their territory for the good of their own.
The others are called the Remnants, and fiercely hold their ground over their lands.

The Crusaders attempt to lay siege on the Remnants using technology of their own, they've created a ballista to assist in destroying fortifications.

Devastated by the proceedings of the Crusaders, the command of the Remnants get together with an idea to harness this technology for their own.

A pack of Remnant scouts discover a Crusader camp, lay an ambush and captures one of their ballistas.

The research and development of the Remnants discovers how the ballistas are created, and began creating ballistas of their own.

They also sell or trade some of this technology to the other lords and divisions of their area for profits.

Who is wrong?

In modern day warfare, I think the art of copying dissembling / copying another's improved techonlogy is one of the closest examples to modern day piracy. Regardless of any copyright laws that hold them from doing such a thing.

Reverse engineering has ALWAYS been a thing of human behavior.

Notice that reverse engineering is always related to technology?

During the space age in JFK's time, USA and Russia were competing for grounds in dominating space exploration.

There is no doubt, hands down, that USA and Russians tried to steal or implement the technology of one another. Sure there are copyright laws, but when it's two different nations, who the hell cares?

Nuclear technology, stuff is being stolen from each other. Re:mad: Wen Ho Lee and the Los Alamos "stealing nuclear" technology incident.

Wouldn't you agree that this is a form of pirating? They're technically not stealing anything, nothing is lost. Supposedly, billions of dollars in profits are stolen because it belongs to the other person. They are making a copy of the product and bringing it over to be created in another nation. They don't give a crap for the money (at least, not at first).

Who's to say they aren't supposed to do this? Copyright laws? Hello! Pfft, they don't give a SH*T for that!

Reverse engineering is a thing of human nature. It's here to stay.

If we are to stop reverse engineering, we might as well look at stopping to improve our technology.

Due to piracy, and reverse engineering, the competitiveness of human nature in general, we are able to advance in life. Without these, advancement would not have been possible.

Without the bickering of the Space Era, all that money funded into NASA programs, we wouldn't have what we have today.

We wouldn't be able to have created a line of our own synthetic bacteria (that scientists are now doing in the labs, most recently).

Without this kind of intent in human behavior, if we regulate one another we won't ever get anywhere.

It is same with the concept of anti-virus systems. There is always new things trying to penetrate the existing defense out there.

Without the malicious intent of hackers and script kiddies trying to get into someone's computers, anti viral companies (McAffee, Norton, etc) would never be able to bolster their defenses.

(Psst - McAffee gaff last month was horrible! Talk about a major case of self ownage)

Without it, the FBI would have never recruited some of the nation's best programmers in their team. This is how elite hackers get taken down, they don't go to jail - the FBI offers them a job. Read news articles for examples.

We need this kind of a thing to exist for the betterment of society.

Hypothetical situation below:
Imagine now that there are aliens who have came to earth, should we not touch or steal their technology? (Think @ Independence Day)

They intent is to take over all humankind. Should we hold onto moral beliefs and not touch an inch of their technology, stay with ours and believe the moral way is the way to overcome them?

The ability to reverse engineer is a gift.

Is it annoying and bad, detrimental for society? Yes
Can we judge them right or wrong to do this? No, because we don't live there (YMMV on this issue)
Will it go away? No, never.

You are right....crime will never go away.....but I reserve my right to judge the crime and the criminal as well (outside of this forum of course)........That's just me.

How about saying. Yes, it is a crime. Those people should be prosecuted instead of applauding for their criminal enterprise system for a change?

Pretty easy thing to do.

You are right....crime will never go away.....but I reserve my right to judge the crime and the criminal as well (outside of this forum of course)........That's just me.

I have no qualms with that, like I said (Your Mileage May Vary) and it is up to a person's discretion to judge that.

We are all raised in ways that we may see differently from another. Sometimes, even culture can play a crucial role.

If we are to stop reverse engineering, we might as well look at stopping to improve our technology.

Due to piracy, and reverse engineering, the competitiveness of human nature in general, we are able to advance in life. Without these, advancement would not have been possible.

Without the bickering of the Space Era, all that money funded into NASA programs, we wouldn't have what we have today.

We wouldn't be able to have created a line of our own synthetic bacteria (that scientists are now doing in the labs, most recently).

Without this kind of intent in human behavior, if we regulate one another we won't ever get anywhere.

It is same with the concept of anti-virus systems. There is always new things trying to penetrate the existing defense out there.

Without the malicious intent of hackers and script kiddies trying to get into someone's computers, anti viral companies (McAffee, Norton, etc) would never be able to bolster their defenses.

(Psst - McAffee gaff last month was horrible! Talk about a major case of self ownage)

Without it, the FBI would have never recruited some of the nation's best programmers in their team. This is how elite hackers get taken down, they don't go to jail - the FBI offers them a job. Read news articles for examples.

We need this kind of a thing to exist for the betterment of society.

:sadwave:

How about saying. Yes, it is a crime. Those people should be prosecuted instead of applauding for their criminal enterprise system for a change?

Pretty easy thing to do.

The world isn't perfect.

Wirelessly posted

Um, how is the above related to piracy?

Unless you're an asshole like Walt Disney who believe in copyright maximalism, wouldn't the above technically fall under derivative works? In fact, copyright laws do allow for someone to modify someone else's works to an extent; however, consider this:

Every country is different. So why are you comparing two factions? I means Jamaican reggae artists got into trouble a lot in the countries they had toured in abroad because they didn't understand the legal issues behind covers. Why? Jamaica didn't adopt copyright laws til the '90s.

Um, how is the above related to piracy?

Unless you're an asshole like Walt Disney who believe in copyright maximalism, wouldn't the above technically fall under derivative works? In fact, copyright laws do allow for someone to modify someone else's works to an extent; however, consider this:

Every country is different. So why are you comparing two factions? I means Jamaican reggae artists got into trouble a lot in the countries they had toured in abroad because they didn't understand the legal issues behind covers. Why? Jamaica didn't adopt copyright laws til the '90s.

Read it all through. That's the point of what I've said in some of this. Ideas differ between people, between countries.

Do you support criminal activities involving luxury goods in a free society?

Not sure if you're directing this at me or someone else.

I don't support criminal activities. I understand why it exists. And I realize that there's potential for why it needs to exist.

Note that the word "criminal" stems from the word "crime." It should mean something to most people.

Back