Cops kicked out of Denny's for having guns

The police being nonuniform would make anyone touchy especially with the shootings. Recently. How would you handle it if you saw a bunch of rough looking guys with guns walk in? The manager is the one wo screwed this up. The police blew it out of proportion . Not every denny manager is an idiot.

it's an expression. he believes the restaurant policy doesn't apply to him even though it technically does but looking at his reaction toward this incident... it certainly felt like an arrogance.
He who? The chief? He wasn't one of the patrons who was told to leave. It was the manager who told the cops to leave even though it was against the restaurant policy.

Can you please start over? Your statement is very confusing. Please don't use pronouns without identification.

see above.

I don't see any reason to throw a hissy fit over this. the patrons weren't comfortable about people with guns. the manager was well within his right to ask the gentlemen to either kindly leave the gun in the car or leave.
If the other patrons weren't comfortable with police officers wearing their guns, then they should have left. It is totally lawful for police officers to wear their guns in public. They identified themselves as police to the manager. Police aren't supposed to leave their guns in a car, and it certainly isn't against the law for them to wear their guns in a restaurant.

Even the second manager said that the first manager was wrong.

The police being nonuniform would make anyone touchy especially with the shootings. Recently. How would you handle it if you saw a bunch of rough looking guys with guns walk in? The manager is the one wo screwed this up. The police blew it out of proportion . Not every denny manager is an idiot.
The police had their badges on them, and their police radios with them. They told the manager that they were police officers.

I guess the manager was lucky that he wasn't actually confronting non-police "rough" looking guys with guns. He probably wouldn't have around to tell his tale. He should have been grateful to have a police presence in his establishment.

Honestly, if the manager truly thought he had armed gang members or drug dealers at the table, why didn't he call the police instead of approaching them himself? :hmm:

With all the shootings that have occurred lately...feel that the patrons of Denny's were just a little "skittish" about the guns....Neverless, the police and detectives are allowed to carry their guns with them....So feel it's really silly for the patrons to complain about it.

As for myself, I would welcome police officers or detectives anywhere I would go....The manager and even the Chief blew it all out of proportion...and if I were manager of Denny's...I would have told those Patrons to leave if they felt "uncomfortable"....

Update:

Cops Banned From Denny's Given Free Food, Ban Lifted

BELLEVILLE, Ill. (KSDK) -- The manager of a Denny's who asked a group of detectives to leave the restaurant is offering free food to police officers.

The officers were asked to leave after a customer said their weapons make them uncomfortable.

Police say the five on-duty detectives with visible badges were eating at the restaurant on South Illinois Street Tuesday when the manager asked one of the detectives to either put her gun in the car or leave.

The detectives chose to leave.

Belleville Police Chief Bill Clay then told his officers not to go to Denny's unless they are responding to an emergency.

Denny's released a statement saying they do not permit firearms inside the restaurant but then determined the weapon belonged to a plain-clothed officer. They do allow law enforcement officials to carry their weapons inside the restaurant.

The manager of that restaurant has now decided to offer free meals to police officers on Friday.

The free meals will be offered from 7 a.m. until 10 p.m. at 1130 South Illinois Street.

Capt. Donald Sax with the Belleville Police Department says on Thursday Van Catchings, Director of Company Operations for Denny's, met with members of the police Department to talk about the situation.

He says Catchings apologized for the actions taken by the restaurant and that the actions were inconsistent with Denny's corporate policy.

Chief Clay then lifted the ban on officers taking meal or coffee breaks at the restaurant and released the following statement:

"I am a fan of 'Social Media'; I use it and rely upon it often. This same technology sometimes puts an issue in the public domain that should be resolved in private face to face meetings. Denny's on South Illinois is a Belleville business. They pay sales tax and provide employment for many Belleville residents. I have patronized Denny's in the past and will continue to do so in the future. I harbor no grudges! This was an unfortunate incident by an individual employee; it has been made right."
Cops Banned From Denny's Given Free Food, Ban Lifted | digtriad.com

I suspect other hidden motives in the Chiefs actions. Why publicly escalate a misunderstanding with a local business?

Ah there you have it the hidden motive, free food on Friday's. There is a reason this guy made Chief.

If the other patrons weren't comfortable with police officers wearing their guns, then they should have left. It is totally lawful for police officers to wear their guns in public. They identified themselves as police to the manager. Police aren't supposed to leave their guns in a car, and it certainly isn't against the law for them to wear their guns in a restaurant.

Even the second manager said that the first manager was wrong.

so the police officers take the priority over patrons who were already there? just because they're police officers doesn't mean they get to do what they want.

if a manager asks them to leave, then they leave. simple as that - just like anybody else.

He who? The chief? He wasn't one of the patrons who was told to leave. It was the manager who told the cops to leave even though it was against the restaurant policy.

Can you please start over? Your statement is very confusing. Please don't use pronouns without identification.

oops.

it's an expression. The Chief believes the restaurant policy doesn't apply to him even though it technically does but looking at his reaction toward this incident... it certainly felt like an arrogance.

what?

This was an unfortunate incident by an individual employee;

I strongly disagree with Chief Clay. He does come off as a very arrogant buffoon with a slight disdain toward a community. If he has any concern for people, then he should respect a patron's concern and manager's respectful request.

A patron was not comfortable with an armed person at a family restaurant sitting next or near to him/her. This is no different from any other incidents where patrons have been asked to leave because other patrons were uncomfortable.

Me neither, I don't see cop as above law in this case.

I see that Denny's is putting police officers in very dangerous position, and I agree that cops need not go there anymore.

I am not going to Dennys anymore! They are advertising themselves as gun free zone and I don't want to get in middle of crossfire if there is armed robbery.

There are some businesses that ban on guns, also the schools are in gun free zone that where you cannot avoid because you have to send your children to school.

I think it is silly to be paranoid about massacre because they are rare and the last time for worst massacre at food service was McDonald's in 1984. It is comical for someone to rob at food place since they prefer to rob at bank or gas stations.

I think detectives should be conceal their weapons that isn't visible to customers, also they wear normal clothes that make confusion for customers.

The horrible school shooting in CT has changed the customer's attitude, that's unfortunately.

For me, I found no issue when ate at restaurant that next to police officers with guns that are fully visible because they are law enforcement officers. When they wear normal clothes so make me wonder if they are law enforcement officer or just armed citizen.

Illinois is not a gun-friendly state. It has one of the most restrictive gun laws and a crucial part of its gun law just got struck down by Supreme Court. Unfortunately, the damage has already been done. Its illegal gun law existed long enough to create a culture with unreasonable fear toward gun.

That's why Connecticut people did not clamor for gun control.

Illinois is not a gun-friendly state. It has one of the most restrictive gun laws and a crucial part of its gun law just got struck down by Supreme Court. Unfortunately, the damage has already been done. Its illegal anti-gun law existed long enough to create a culture with unreasonable fear toward gun.

Denny's is in southern IL, that's small town or rural area, so they are more gun friendly environment, unlike in Northern IL, that where Chicagoland is in.

The US Supreme Court killed the Chicago's ban on guns, so city of Chicago had ban on guns, not in other cities like suburbs.

Denny's is in southern IL, that's small town or rural area, so they are more gun friendly environment, unlike in Northern IL, that where Chicagoland is in.

The US Supreme Court killed the Chicago's ban on guns, so city of Chicago had ban on guns, not in other cities like suburbs.

doesn't matter if it's a small town or not. its state laws are very restrictive. it affects everybody in Illinois. same thing for NJ and California. CCW is nearly impossible to get in those states.

doesn't matter if it's a small town or not. its state laws are very restrictive. it affects everybody in Illinois. same thing for NJ and California. CCW is nearly impossible to get in those states.

Oh, some locals object to state law and I guess it is citizen's risk.

so the police officers take the priority over patrons who were already there? just because they're police officers doesn't mean they get to do what they want.
They were the ones who were unreasonably uncomfortable. You can't satisfy everyone's quirks. Suppose they said they were uncomfortable with black, Muslim, or gay people at the next table. Who should be asked to leave?

The manager should comp their meal and let them leave.

if a manager asks them to leave, then they leave. simple as that - just like anybody else.
They did leave.

Would you feel it was "simple as that" if you and your friends were part way thru your meal when the manager asked you to leave because your signing made other patrons uncomfortable?

oops.

it's an expression. The Chief believes the restaurant policy doesn't apply to him even though it technically does but looking at his reaction toward this incident... it certainly felt like an arrogance.
It appears to me like a chief looking out for his guys.

Military commanders do the same thing. Any public place that practices discrimination is put "off limits" to military members.

what?

I strongly disagree with Chief Clay. He does come off as a very arrogant buffoon with a slight disdain toward a community. If he has any concern for people, then he should respect a patron's concern and manager's respectful request.

A patron was not comfortable with an armed person at a family restaurant sitting next or near to him/her. This is no different from any other incidents where patrons have been asked to leave because other patrons were uncomfortable.
The manager handled it all wrong.

He should have acknowledged the complaining patrons discomfort. Then, go to the police table to inform them of the policy. Once the police proved to him that they were police, he should have thanked them and let them be. Then, he should go back to the other patrons and explain to them that the armed people are actually police officers. If they are still uncomfortable after the explanation, then the manager can offer them their current meal as a comp (free) meal. If they still want to leave, then the meal is no charge, and the manager can offer them a gift certificate for another day.

You really can't expect a manager to request non-troublemaking patrons to leave just because other patrons feel uncomfortable. Some people are uncomfortable with bikers, mixed-race couples, handicapped people, whatever. You can't make the dining environment perfect for everyone.

No one goes to a Denny's and expects fine dining in a genteel ambiance.

I think detectives should be conceal their weapons that isn't visible to customers, also they wear normal clothes that make confusion for customers.

The horrible school shooting in CT has changed the customer's attitude, that's unfortunately.

For me, I found no issue when ate at restaurant that next to police officers with guns that are fully visible because they are law enforcement officers. When they wear normal clothes so make me wonder if they are law enforcement officer or just armed citizen.
In this situation, they had their badges exposed.

Back