Cop "Not Sorry"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, Gates was wrong to accuse the Police Office as racist but Police Officer was also wrong to ignore Gates´s demand for Police Officer´s name and badge number, went into Gates´s house without Gates´ permission, too. I think Gates and Crowley both should apologize each other for their overreacting behavior and move on.

To my view on Obama, Crowley and Gates.

I´m not saying that Obama is right but I know where he comes from when he said the police acted stupidly. Obama gave his view because he was ASKED for his reaction. I agree that Obama should say something differently than use those word.

Unfortunlately yes, it would be my first reaction is to blame the police officer for the whole situation because it was stupid to arrest a man in his home after show his ID to the officer. Gates was arrested in his own home for “talking back” to the police officer which is not a crime. Like what Obama said that we don´t know the fact but we only know the facts is:

1. The police Officer went into the house without Gates´s permisson.
2. Gates was arrested after showed his both IDs.
3. Gates proved this is his home, the police officer should have left.

Why can´t the police Officer gave Gates when he asked for their names and badge number?

What the officer did is inappropriate for went in without Gates´permission.
Sure, Gates should have say something in polite way but we don´t know what and how make Gates angry and offend like that. Was the officer treat Gates disrespectfully? OR Was Gates tired from oversea trip? No matter what but the officer has no reason to arrest him because Gates did not break the law for repeated to demand police officer´s name and badge number.

Yes, I can understand that the police officer doing their job to make sure. However, Gates did identify himself as the owner of the house & the police should be relieved and explained why they are at him and good to know that everything is fine, and wish Gates a good day and leave. Is it not hard?

If the police officers believe they did nothing wrong but why the charges dropped?

Anyway, it´s great to know that Obama offer peace talk with Officer and Gates is invite them to have a beer with him in White House.

all your questions have already been answered from the articles but I will point it out for you -

Yes, Gates was wrong to accuse the Police Office as racist but Police Officer was also wrong to ignore Gates´s demand for Police Officer´s name and badge number, went into Gates´s house without Gates´ permission, too. I think Gates and Crowley both should apologize each other for their overreacting behavior and move on.
correction - Crowley did not overreact. Crowley did not ignore Gates' demand for name and badge.

To my view on Obama, Crowley and Gates.

I´m not saying that Obama is right but I know where he comes from when he said the police acted stupidly. Obama gave his view because he was ASKED for his reaction. I agree that Obama should say something differently than use those word.

Unfortunlately yes, it would be my first reaction is to blame the police officer for the whole situation because it was stupid to arrest a man in his home after show his ID to the officer. Gates was arrested in his own home for “talking back” to the police officer which is not a crime. Like what Obama said that we don´t know the fact but we only know the facts is:

1. The police Officer went into the house without Gates´s permisson.
2. Gates was arrested after showed his both IDs.
3. Gates proved this is his home, the police officer should have left.
tsk tsk tsk. My first reaction is not blaming the cop or Gates. My first reaction which is what you should have done is to read the facts first before blaming someone. I have done so and I have commented on it with my post #9.

First of all - Gates did not show proper ID at first. It was just a Harvard ID with no address.

Secondly - Crowley was being a very thorough cop because 911 told him that there were 2 suspicious black men with backpack breaking into the house.

Imagine if the robbers were hiding in his house and told Gates to make cop go away. or imagine if Gates did not know robbers was in the house but Gates was just being an impatient, racist fool just because he was tired from the trip and he just wants Crowley to go away so he can sleep. Crowley wanted to make sure there's nobody in the house beside Gates but Gates was being rude to him.

Remember the movie called PANIC ROOM with Jodie Foster? It could happen. Gates should be glad to have a very thorough, careful cop responding to the call!

Why can´t the police Officer gave Gates when he asked for their names and badge number?
because the priority in here was to control the situation. Control the situation first and discuss later since Gates was being hostile and argumentative. Gates' request is not a priority. Both Gates' safety and Crowley's safety are the priority. Gates was being argumentative and hostile. Crowley must control the situation. Crowley repeatedly tried to calm him down but Gates continued to be argumentative, hostile, and racist toward officer. Result? Crowley arrested him. And yes talking back to officer is an arrestable offense. It's called Disorderly Conduct.

What the officer did is inappropriate for went in without Gates´permission.
Sure, Gates should have say something in polite way but we don´t know what and how make Gates angry and offend like that. Was the officer treat Gates disrespectfully? OR Was Gates tired from oversea trip? No matter what but the officer has no reason to arrest him because Gates did not break the law for repeated to demand police officer´s name and badge number.

Yes, I can understand that the police officer doing their job to make sure. However, Gates did identify himself as the owner of the house & the police should be relieved and explained why they are at him and good to know that everything is fine, and wish Gates a good day and leave. Is it not hard?
you just answered your own question. The officer was doing his job and he was VERY THOROUGH at it. You know what a bad cop would do? He would arrive at Gates' house and ask Gates if everything's ok because Gates was most likely a well-dressed person so obviously he can't be a robber. Gates would say - yes I'm fine. The cop would just shrugged and leave without verifying his ID and everything. Now that's a bad cop.

and no matter what - DO NOT ARGUE WITH THE COP. PERIOD.

If the police officers believe they did nothing wrong but why the charges dropped?
same answer as above. After all - the police in here is not Getapso. It is up to officer's discretion to drop the charge at later date. It is not uncommon. You can be charged with a speeding ticket and later have it dropped by officer. Happens all the time in here.

Let's see- having a beer with one man who accused you of racism and falsifying a police report and another man who publicly called your actions stupid, linked them to a history of racism and failed to actually apologize- not my idea of a fun time. Throw in all the talk about "teaching moments" and "lectures about racism" and that's the last thing I'd want to do. But I guess he has his reasons, so more power to him.

There needs to be a teaching moment and a lecture about racism, but I can only think of two people to whom those should be directed. (Hint: neither's name is Crowley).

There needs to be a teaching moment and a lecture about racism, but I can only think of two people to whom those should be directed. (Hint: neither's name is Crowley).

Apparently, you do NOT understand the issue.

Let's see- having a beer with one man who accused you of racism and falsifying a police report and another man who publicly called your actions stupid, linked them to a history of racism and failed to actually apologize...
shows Crowley has a lot of character

Then please explain to me what I don't understand. If I'm ignorant, I certainly don't want to remain that way.
Maybe you need a teachable moment. :laugh2:

j/k

Oh, not surprised about situation with Gates and I'm just like don't care about him.

In a previous statement I've said abt racism...When racism is involved, the most well known fact here is that most blacks are actually more racist than whites are.

Blacks have been victims of racial profiling and still are. Blacks have been pulled over just because they're black driving BMWs or Benz. Blacks have been always discriminated all their lives and have always been treated as second class citizens. Studies have confirmed over and over, no matter how successful a black man is, the white counterpart will ALWAYS get the preferred treatment.

So, Gates getting paranoid at that moment compounded by his drinking (if true) made him feel like he was being profiled by a white cop. Well, duh... it's hard to tell at that point. He clearly overreacted to that incident and made it a racial issue. But did the cop have to arrest him? No.

Remember, the police said that the arrest was "regrettable." So that means the arrest was not even justified.

In a previous statement I've said abt racism...When racism is involved, the most well known fact here is that most blacks are actually more racist than whites are.

You are so ridiculous. Whites are worse. Whites owned slaves. Blacks didn't own slaves. Whites forced segeration, blacks didn't. Whites discrminated them, blacks didn't. We had to ahve a law to prohibit discrmination on race and it was blacks that pushed for that law.

And to this day, racism is still everywhere.

I think the whole thing about whether Obama should apologize or not is kinda overblown.

The real issue here is...who was wrong? The cop or the professor? IMO, I feel that a little bit of racial profiling went on.

You are so ridiculous. Whites are worse. Whites owned slaves. Blacks didn't own slaves. Whites forced segeration, blacks didn't. Whites discrminated them, blacks didn't. We had to ahve a law to prohibit discrmination on race and it was blacks that pushed for that law.

No, he was talk about between white and blacks today, not in 1850's or 1960's.

Your comment is really about past.

I have agree with him, I did notice more blacks are racist than white, it's just not same as 1960's.

I'd give the professor (Gates) a kick in the arse....and give Crowley (the cop) a medal......And would I "accept" an apology from a high-ranking professor that called me "racist" for doing my job? Hell, No!....And how could anyone respond to "Our President" for calling us "stupid" or that it was all "stupidity"??.....It's a Black versus White issue, clear and simple....and no matter if the Cop was right...he's gonna be left holding the bag!

Blacks have been victims of racial profiling and still are. Blacks have been pulled over just because they're black driving BMWs or Benz. Blacks have been always discriminated all their lives and have always been treated as second class citizens. Studies have confirmed over and over, no matter how successful a black man is, the white counterpart will ALWAYS get the preferred treatment.

So, Gates getting paranoid at that moment compounded by his drinking (if true) made him feel like he was being profiled by a white cop. Well, duh... it's hard to tell at that point. He clearly overreacted to that incident and made it a racial issue. But did the cop have to arrest him? No.

Remember, the police said that the arrest was "regrettable." So that means the arrest was not even justified.
I thought I might have missed something, but nope.

The professor made a negative judgment about the officer's character based solely on the fact that he is white. That is racist by definition. Whatever excuses he may have doesn't change the fact that his behavior towards the officer was racist. I don't remember anybody excusing Mel Gibson when he was drunk and ranted about "the jooooooooooooooooooos!!!"

I looked into it and found that a police department spokesperson called it "regrettable" but that doesn't mean the arrest was illegal or even unjustified. Lots of things are just but regrettable. The other cop who was at the scene said Crowley acted appropriately. The police commissioner backed him up saying he "...basically did the best in the situation that was presented to him." The police union is behind him.

In this thread, I acknowledged that it's questionable whether the arrest was necessary, but I can't make a judgment on that question. I'm just a guy with no police training nor police experience who wasn't there.

Careful about the "jooooooos" remark, *somebody* might not find that humorous. :hmm:

No, he was talk about between white and blacks today, not in 1850's or 1960's.

Your comment is really about past.

I have agree with him, I did notice more blacks are racist than white, it's just not same as 1960's.

Correct I am actually talking about present. Not the past between the civil war to the 1960s or whenever. I am talking about as of today.

the blacks were even racist to their own kinds as well - the light black and dark black. The blacks enslaved their own and others as well.

Correct I am actually talking about present. Not the past between the civil war to the 1960s or whenever. I am talking about as of today.

Yup, it's very common in southern states that where blacks made racist comment against other race, also it does happen in CA when on between blacks and latino/Koreans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back