Considering an implant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Cain Marko
About 90% of deafies dont have a voice...thats the problem.

When making use of a CI. I have heard/seen children recover their voice and start speaking.

uhhh Cain -- u have apparently misunderstood my use of "voice" -- i used that in my comments in reference to their own opinion on what they want decided -- YES or NO or MAYBE LET ME RESEARCH MORE FURTHER -- i dont mean in reference to the VOICE itself as in spoken orally/verbally

hope that clears it up qq

Care to back that up with some research?
What is your definition of "voice?" Are we talking about a really good professional speaker/ "hearing" voice? Even a lot of HoH people don't have that type of voice! Hell...even many hearing people don't have that type of voice!!!!!!!! (ever hear of people who mumble or who don't enunciate or articulate very well?)
Besides, just b/c a person can speak well, it doesn't mean that they have a good command of a language. Very few deaf and Hoh people have really good fluency in English.(even if they are ORAL-only!!!) There's an Auditory-Verbal site out there that has examples of A/V therapy sessions with various and sundry ages.
The example of the lesson plan for the five year old nearly broke my heart. They had an example of her saying something.
She turned to her mother and asked "Push fish?" (she wanted to push a button on a flashlight shaped like a fish) This is a FIVE year old !!!! Not a two year old or a 1 year old...but an example of language from a FIVE YEAR OLD! God, at 2 1/2(right before I got my hearing aids) I was already much more sophpiscated in my language then that!

Don't believe in Cochlear Implants and will never do it since I accepted myself being deaf. What I think is that when deafies want Cochlear Implants does not accept their deafness. I know it helps you to hear but it has negatives...one of my friend had one and he can't play football cuz of that!!! He wasn't happy but had to accept that. What is good thing about that? Hearing aid is good enough for you to hear the sounds. Thats my opinion.

First of all.

For someone to say that hearing aids are good enough for a person to use and hear sounds tells me that person HASNT A CLUE about hearing loss.
Hearing aids dont help everyone. Whatever gains you are able to get from them doesnt mean its the same for everyone. Many profoundly deaf people dont get any benefit from HA.
That was a dumb comment.

In the same way thats what I mean by voice.

Sheesh, I feel Im trying to educate deafies that should know better.

A deaf person born with such a profound loss will stop making sounds shortly after 6 months of age.
I know kids that 1 month after implant around 14 months of age start responding to their name and baby sounds/words start coming out.
Within 3-4 months after impant they are speaking their first words. Typical hearing age words like daddy and mommy. And they are listening without having to read lips or use anything visual.

Within about a year after implant they are at the same level as other hearing kids their age for language/communication/expressive/responsive development.

Thats not compared to hoh kids or deaf kids or implant kids...thats compared to hearing kids.

Welcome to the NEW WORLD of deaf culture. Get used to it. I had to. The rest of you will either have to accept it or the deaf community will just get smaller and smaller.

Well I have heard the NEW implant techogoly come out and couple of my friends just new in their only one ear. I think ONE is good enough than having two because it could mess up like one of my friend has this for many years. She told me how it works and her one of two is destoryed so her only one ear would work with hearing aid better than implants.

Here's something to think about. Get only one CI and leave it alone. Perhaps, 10 years later... they will develop a better technology than CIs and that can be used on your other ear.

Many profoundly deaf people dont get any benefit from HA.
You're wrong there. Only about 5% of deaf people are eligable for a CI. According to the Auditory-Verbal site, 95% of all deaf people have residual hearing that can be boosted by hearing aids!
I'm extremely skeptical on the speech/language stats for kids implanted early. First of all there have ALWAYS been early deafened/ born deaf kids who have done well with oral/aural skills. Back in the 60's it was 10%. It may have risen slightly over the years but I seriously doubt that the CI has boosted oral-aural performance as significently as its proponets claim. Besides I don't think it's just the CI that may have improved oral-aural performance. Personally I think it is more parental involvement, that is the key to oral- aural performance, like the type of parents who buy their kids toys that will raise their SAT scores 100 points, and who hyperschudule their children so that the kids don't have any time to be kids in the first place.
Oh, and BTW just b/c a child does well in the audilogcal booth, it doesn't nessarly translate well to real life. Most audis and hearing health professionals and teachers at oral-aural schools have very good speaking voices so it's easy for deaf and Hoh kids to understand them. Besides if the CI is such a miricle then how come so many implanted kids still have to have YEARS and YEARS of speech/language therapy?
Another reason why I am skeptical of the stats on early implanted kids is that only about 5% of deaf kids were born deaf. Most lost their hearing. Their brain automatically knows how to translate sound, even if the brain only did it for a year.
Sure it may have improved the percentage of prelingally deaf people who suceed at oral skills but how many of those are true prelingals and how many of those were PERILINGALLY (deaf during s/l aqussition) ? I bet a lot of the prelingal sucesses had the advantage of hearing for a year!

Originally posted by Fly Free
ideafspy -- i know someone who has discussed CI with me on several occasions and she has expressed her negative feelings abt CI and how shes unable to get thru the metal detectors and etc at security points -- i have asked her abt researching on the removal of the implant she said it could cause serious injury or death if she attempted to have that done soo its been left alone and go figure it doesnt work for her either and shes told me she doesnt hear anything even when she has on her CI

even tho i am personally against CI itself -- i still think ppl have the option of having a CI when they have their own INFORMED decisionmaking on their own free will not to be done on minors that has no voice ie: babies, toddlers and kids under age 16, 17 and the way i look at it the hearie parents should allow their kids to have their own voice be heard PRIOR to it done but ahh that doesnt usually happen these days *smh*

Weeeelllllll...its not really that risky to get it removed. My friend has one, and she still uses it. She has had it removed and replaced like 5 times..cuz of sports she was involved in had damaged it by getting hit on the head and other accidents. I wouldn't mind removing mine, but I dont feel like going thru another surgery right now :ugh:

When making use of a CI. I have heard/seen children recover their voice and start speaking.
Um, that's not actually true. I am profoundly deaf since the age of 4 and I have had speech therapy until at the age of 9 before getting a CI, my speech was fine before then. I only wanted to get the CI to be able to hear my name being called, and be able to identify other sounds that I could not do so with hearing aids. Right now, I don't use the CI anymore because I keep getting headaches constantly. Oh well.

yiiiiikes - welll i'd never get implant ..... cuz then u'd hafta wear a wire behind ur ear and have a small speaking box that u put in ur shirt pocket - i was like :shock: iccccccccck :ugh: no thanks !!!!i'd rather have in-ear hearing aids

Originally posted by *~Rayden Wins~*
yiiiiikes - welll i'd never get implant ..... cuz then u'd hafta wear a wire behind ur ear and have a small speaking box that u put in ur shirt pocket - i was like :shock: iccccccccck :ugh: no thanks !!!!i'd rather have in-ear hearing aids

They do have BTE (Behind the Ear) like the hearing aid looks. The shirt pocket that is old.

Originally posted by *~Rayden Wins~*

Nah, they improved their technology, they now have one similiar like hearing aid, it can go without the box, less hassle for CI users. :)

I once worked for this school's summer program for deaf students.
I will never forget what I saw. A girl, who is about 8 year old, with Downs Syndrome, legally blind (not totally as she can see somewhat) and deaf. Yes, she was implanted with CI. Her mother obviously decided to implant the child, because of the severity of her multiple disabilties. But, was it really benefical for her?

stfub!

Thank God parents dont just sit around and wait for a child to grow up before doing something.
Do you think a child should wait to get glasses or is that a decision the parent can make? WHERE DOES IT STOP? How about choosing which clothes to wear, what food to eat. Someday when you have a kid I'd be real interested in knowing which decisions you allow them to make before you start acting like a parent. What a pathetic parent you would be.

Personally, I am not scared of making decisions. My kid would be taken care of becuase I would be a Dad.
Not some pathetic idiot that cant "decide" what to do.

Once again. Do yourself and the rest of the deaf community a favor and read about the new opportunities for deaf people using a CI. You dont have a clue.
It took a period of 6 months to a year or so for me to see how children benefited from this. You cant just simply say...it doesnt work for me or I'm proud of being deaf or some people think its so easy or whatever.
Deaf people with that attitude need to get a life. It is so OLD. Go back to your caves.

No, you need to go back to your little cave and fuck off. I can speak pretty good and I am profoundly Deaf. Do I need CIs in order to speak?? Wait, wait.. Don't tell me. Let me get a mirror and look behind my ears.. Nope. No scars. Obviously, I don't wear CIs and never will! We don't need people like you to cram your cute CI propaganda down our throats. People like me are just happy with being Deaf. Sounds like you are sad and ashamed of being deaf, note that I used the lowercased "deaf". Deal with it and move on! Step off.

You have no fucking clue how politically incorrect CIs could be. I really want Deaf children, but I don't have the so-called "Deaf gene". Chances are my kids would be hearing. I guess if it is okay for hearing people to try to put CIs in their Deaf kids, then I guess I have the same, equal rights to have a hearing child to be Deaf induced. How's that for PC?

You're the one with attitude. And attitude begets attitude. I noted earlier, "It doesn't matter if it is new or old technology, they still do not like their CIs." What does that mean?? What happened to your English skills? It merely states that I have spoken with Deafies who have one of the old or new CIs. They still don't like it.

Are CIs the best next thing in my life??

Nooooo, I don't think so.

Sheesh, I feel Im trying to educate deafies that should know better.

Sheesh, have we asked you to educate us Deafies? No.

Why? Because you simply don't know any better!

:cool:

You cant just simply say...it doesnt work for me or I'm proud of being deaf or some people think its so easy or whatever.
Deaf people with that attitude need to get a life. It is so OLD. Go back to your caves.

You obviously have no concept of Deaf identity.

There are ppl who are perfectly fine with being deaf, and not hearing any sounds. The "voice" you say we have none.... Think again, we do have voices! That in in American SIgn Language! We are not stupid. We speak English too, and we speak in our own language too. Stop practising audism and viewing us as inferior ppl. We are still ppl, and human, whether you like it or not. You should not shovel all this crap down on us without understanding Deaf culture first. Then maybe we would start listening.

PS: if you dont know what Audism means, check this URL
http://library.gallaudet.edu/dr/faq-audism.html

Last edited by a moderator:
You obviously have no concept of Deaf identity.

There are ppl who are perfectly fine with being deaf, and not hearing any sounds. The "voice" you say we have none.... Think again, we do have voices! That in in American SIgn Language! We are not stupid. We speak English too, and we speak in our own language too. Stop practising audism and viewing us as inferior ppl. We are still ppl, and human, whether you like it or not. You should not shovel all this crap down on us without understanding Deaf culture first. Then maybe we would start listening.

PS: if you dont know what Audism means, check this URL
http://library.gallaudet.edu/dr/faq-audism.html

Thank you very much for being well said.

Are you sure about this? We do have our Deaf voices anyhow. We most Deaf people were forced to speak in our voices while they do not understand us. People do not know how to listen our Deaf voices and is easy way out for them not to l isten to us when they talk with other hearing person.

Okay next time I'll kick their arse if they dont listen to my voices. You ll be the first person that I will kick yours to get my attention ;P~~~.

Originally posted by Teekie
Nah, they improved their technology, they now have one similiar like hearing aid, it can go without the box, less hassle for CI users. :)

ahhhh well lol that's what my mom and dad discussed with me and they did mention that old-fashioned crap .... LOL

I am curious. Why are you guy serious against about cochlear implant? What made those different about wear heart implant, glasses, knee implant (to walk better), shoulder implant for moving the arm better and eyes implant to see a little. For your information, I don't have cochlear implant.

In the past, the people called people who are not proud being blindness, limp, and crippling due they got implant to improve their life. Until they saw the pope (church pastor) starts wear glasses, everyone stopped nagging on people about shamed, selfish, and lab as no proud found.

Implant is everything that gone to your body and improve your body function, and socialization better (doesn't mean popular). Do you know that they have a voice implant to able speak (sound creepy to me?) So, you should shout at that person "Aren't you being proud of mute?"

The 'deaf' is not normal get cochlear into all heard that sudden. Due there several reason, the answer is -- I don't know. If you guy want the answer about that one -- ask the surgery. However, you don't support the people to get cochlear implant and then stop wear the glasses or hearing aids. Everything what we got is our advantage to ability to access into future.

Deaf people sure do have voice out their mouth--pretty loud. Myself raise oral with the hearing aid include no sign at home. I don't see what’s wrong with cochlear implant about new product of technology. In the past, the glasses used to be thick and today is thinner instead made you looks total nerd to wear it. Hearing Aid have improving but there is no greater than 90 percent profound to support hear the environment.

I have see one person pronoun “Deaf identity” on the message board. What those points have to do with Deaf identity? Look what happen today and the past – out there doesn’t aggressive themselves today, but the past have ability to strong and oppose to improve.

I see a several Deaf Community support cochlear implant not like this AllDeaf.com. About the Deaf Power -- I don’t see outside instead of this internet shared the rights. My question, are we responsible for that achievement? Why did I mention ‘responsible’? It’s because people choose to that way to improve or not improve for their future?

You're totally missing the point, ideafspy.

I have nothing against CI. I am not against it like crazy and mad about it. What MAKES ME MAD is the fact that CI group practises audism upon us and try to force me into thinking that deafness is something to be ashamed about. It is like saying that I will never be "normal" unless I have CI. I am totally fine the way I am, as I accept myself 100% to be deaf. Because I accept myself 100%, then it becomes "normal" to me to have my own Deaf identity. I do not need people to tell me how wonderful CI is, how it will change my life, etc... They simply do not understand that I am fine the way I am. If I was not fine with being deaf, I would have sought information on CI a long time ago. Do not tell me that I am close minded, and that I should go back to my cave. It is CI users who simply do not understand, that should stop being so close minded and learn something about deaf world at least.

And I speak fine with my voice. Not all deaf people shout.

PS: Mute means lack of communication. ASL is a form of communication, so asking someone "Aren't you proud to be mute?" makes no sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back