Confederate Flag

What does Confederate Rebel Flag means to you?

• A symbol of Civil War History

Votes: 41 25.8%
  • A symbol of racist

Votes: 44 27.7%
  • A symbol of Heritage (Civil War Veteran Generation)

Votes: 60 37.7%
  • Others - please specify

Votes: 14 8.8%

• Total voters
you said he has freckles, probably half white (either scottish or irish) mixed with asian. how did you know he was korean?

Actress Lucy Liu is Chinese and she has freckles...it's not exactly a rare trait. Asians have freckles too.

Laura

I agree. I am proud of my heritage and the flag is not a symbol of racism to me but I would not fly it in public anymore than I would wear a swastika in public. Modern racist scum and crappy history books have changed the meaning to most people.

The flag is a symbol of the Southern pride and spirit and for many people, it's not intended in any racist way. It's sad that people have abused the flag to represent their bigoted views.

Actress Lucy Liu is Chinese and she has freckles...it's not exactly a rare trait. Asians have freckles too.

Laura

True. I did think about Lucy Liu who has freckles. She is the only one I have seen freckles on TV but not in real life.

The flag is a symbol of the Southern pride and spirit and for many people, it's not intended in any racist way. It's sad that people have abused the flag to represent their bigoted views.
You have to understand that this flag represented the South which supported slavery during the Civil War. If you have the flag, that means you support slavery. Alot of black people still think that way. What can I do?

You have to understand that this flag represented the South which supported slavery during the Civil War. If you have the flag, that means you support slavery.

and you have to understand that it also represented something else.

a swastika does not always mean a jew hater. it means a Nazi Party... a nationalist movement.

Alot of black people still think that way. What can I do?

so? can't keep everybody happy.

I'm proud of waving an American flag and if that makes my Korean relatives very upset because of horrible events from Korean War and DMZ... same answer as above.

True. I did think about Lucy Liu who has freckles. She is the only one I have seen freckles on TV but not in real life.
There were at least 20 Koreans at my workplace. None of them has freckles unless the women wear make-ups to cover them up. :dunno:

and you have to understand that it also represented something else.

a swastika does not always mean a jew hater. it means a Nazi Party... a nationalist movement.

The swastika the nazis used is an acient germanic symbol. Modern nazis also use nordic runes. The rest of us that share that heritage can no longer use the swastika for what its come to mean.

You have to understand that this flag represented the South which supported slavery during the Civil War. If you have the flag, that means you support slavery. Alot of black people still think that way. What can I do?

People forget the slavery and racism in the north. Plenty of northerners supported slavery and 4 or 5 states in the union where slave states until the 13th ammendment. Licoln himself said he would keep slavery if he thought it would preserve the union. That seems to imply that slavery was not the central issue on either side. Lincoln also wanted to deport the emacipated slaves after the war.

You have to wonder where 75% of southerners, not even owning slave, would be willing to send the fathers, sons, brothers and sometimes grandfathers and children off to fight and die for the right to own slaves?

The founding fathers owned slaves yet we don't consider their flag a racist symbol. Crappy history books try to simplify a complicated war by boiling it down to one issue.

I'm a Civil War buff.

I'm not going to say that that flag should never be flown.

Also,symbols change over time. Some people fly this particular flag only to say
that they're proud to have been born in the South. I have no problem with that.

I know this response might sound a little unusual coming from a triracial American. (Have W African,European,Native American ancestry.)

People forget the slavery and racism in the north. Plenty of northerners supported slavery and 4 or 5 states in the union where slave states until the 13th ammendment. Licoln himself said he would keep slavery if he thought it would preserve the union. That seems to imply that slavery was not the central issue on either side. Lincoln also wanted to deport the emacipated slaves after the war.

You have to wonder where 75% of southerners, not even owning slave, would be willing to send the fathers, sons, brothers and sometimes grandfathers and children off to fight and die for the right to own slaves?

The founding fathers owned slaves yet we don't consider their flag a racist symbol.Crappy history books try to simplify a complicated war by boiling it down to one issue.

I watched the movie, "Lincoln" and learned that there was another reason for the Civil War. Not just slavery. The Southerners wanted to be independent from the federal government.

I watched the movie, "Lincoln" and learned that there was another reason for the Civil War. Not just slavery. The Southerners wanted to be independent from the federal government.

yes. the slavery thing came way later to regain the support.

I would argue that was the main objective of the war for the south.

It is what it is ! Simple

As slick Rick would say..... "Ok, children. Here we gooooo... Once upon a time not long ago...........
The flag is part of our history, good or bad. We need to own up to it and hey I went to a south high school, where the drill team used to use confederate flag. I might add it was a predominately minority school. Besides, is it any more offensive to the visually impaired? it is what you make of it. " those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it" right? Can I get a what, what!!:P
I am partial to the civil war time period of history and am smart enough to know that anything can be used as a symbol for hate. There were wrongs on both sides. As with any war. Old men lying, young men dying.
Rebel flag.... Hmmmm didn't we found our country on rebellion???? Just saying. :cool2: Too many lives sacrificed for that symbol. it has earned it's place in our history.
In conclusion...lol .. Ranting... The General Lee just wouldn't be the same with the Stars and Stripes. Would it?...:naughty:

"I'm just a soul who's intentions are good. Oh, lord! Please, don't let me be misunderstood." <----passing microphone now.

SACRAMENTO --A bill introduced by a Democratic lawmaker would prohibit the sale of Confederate flags on California state property.

Assemblyman Isadore Hall of Compton introduced the bill Friday. He says Confederate flag memorabilia is being sold at the Capitol gift shop and was on sale during last summer's state fair on the Cal Expo Fairgrounds.

The issue came to his attention after his mother spotted replica Confederate money on sale in the Capitol gift shop. Hall, who is black, calls the Confederate flag a symbol of racism, exclusion and violence.

The ban would apply to property owned or operated by the state.

Hall says his bill has bipartisan support and will send a message that California does not promote racism and hate.

Bill bans Confederate flag sale on California property

The swastika the nazis used is an acient germanic symbol. Modern nazis also use nordic runes. The rest of us that share that heritage can no longer use the swastika for what its come to mean.

History of the Swastika

I found this link about the swastika and I read Hitler got the idea from Native
American and Hitler resigned it for his own use.

Back