Confederate Flag

What does Confederate Rebel Flag means to you?

• A symbol of Civil War History

Votes: 41 25.8%
  • A symbol of racist

Votes: 44 27.7%
  • A symbol of Heritage (Civil War Veteran Generation)

Votes: 60 37.7%
  • Others - please specify

Votes: 14 8.8%

• Total voters
To kick Haley out of office would require an impeachment, and that's not going to happen.

I means voters to vote her out at end of term.

Impeachment is nearly impossible.

Update: I just checked that Haley is 2nd term so she is safe and she could careless about people if she wants like Bentley did - he's 2nd term too.

I bet SC doesn't have recall, even Alabama doesn't have recall too.

There is a difference between de facto segregation and de jure segregation.

De facto vs. de jure segregation

That's correct, de facto segregation is happening today and it is impossible to end the de facto segregation.

In Alabama, cities have full abilities to break up the school district and establish a own city school like many of them did in 1970s and they raise the property tax. The house value is strongly influence from school district.

Florida is different situation because all school districts are controlled by counties so cities cannot break away, but people could move to different county to get away from bad school district, also countywide schools are based on zone that cover neighborhood.

So are you saying that it's still legal for this kind of school to stop black kids from admitting? "Sorry, this place is for white kids only"?

No, that's not same as 50s and 60s.

Public schools are zoned depending on cities and neighborhood.

For example in our state, Trussville City School is over 90% white since Birmingham City School is 99% black.

If blacks live in Trussville city limit so they can go to school in Trussville, but most blacks cannot afford to buy expensive houses with high tax in Trussville.

Nearly all white kids live in Birmingham usually go to private school or homeschooled.

No, that's not same as 50s and 60s.

Public schools are zoned depending on cities and neighborhood.

For example in our state, Trussville City School is over 90% white since Birmingham City School is 99% black.

If blacks live in Trussville city limit so they can go to school in Trussville, but most blacks cannot afford to buy expensive houses with high tax in Trussville.

Nearly all white kids live in Birmingham usually go to private school or homeschooled.
I understand you completely. However, America is what freedom stands for. In other words, Mexican, Asian or black kids can go to any school. Regarding to private schools, if parents of those kids can afford it, let them in. If the school won't let them in, obviously the school is full of racists.

What you think about my post #1366?

Public school are more split based on classism rather than racism.
In communities with more than one school at each grade level then there is the possibility of being divided by socio-economic classes.

Some of the high schools that I attended were in small towns/cities that had only one high school each, so every kid went to the same school regardless of income level or race.

In communities with more than one school at each grade level then there is the possibility of being divided by socio-economic classes.

Some of the high schools that I attended were in small towns/cities that had only one high school each, so every kid went to the same school regardless of income level or race.
My kids went to a school in a different city because we live very close to that city since a school in my city is 1/2 mile away. So it depends how close you live to a school. Kids who live far away from a school are put on a waiting list if the parents want to send them there. In other words, residents come first.

I understand you completely. However, America is what freedom stands for. In other words, Mexican, Asian or black kids can go to any school. Regarding to private schools, if parents of those kids can afford it, let them in. If the school won't let them in, obviously the school is full of racists.

yup

That's not true - all schools are zoned based on neighborhood or cities.

If you live in Long Beach, you cannot send your kids to school in Malibu.

Alright, the link you provided is moot.

No, you lacked the thinking to understand about De facto and de jure segregation.

de facto segregation - the neighborhood and schools are split based on classism and many black people are low income and they went to bad school in city. Do you know about Inglewood and Compton? Try to compare with Malibu or Santa Clarita.

de jure segregation - state or city passed the law that require school or public area to be segregated - that's illegal under Civil Rights Act of 1964, exception of strict scrutiny.

My kids went to a school in a different city because we live very close to that city since a school in my city is 1/2 mile away. So it depends how close you live to a school. Kids who live far away from a school are put on a waiting list if the parents want to send them there. In other words, residents come first.

Schools in California are based on unified district and schools in Alabama is based on county and city district, but city district has unique boundaries.

Yes, same in our city - we only have one high school, one middle school and one elementary school - it is part of county school but most kids live in our city zoned to those school.

That's not true - all schools are zoned based on neighborhood or cities.

If you live in Long Beach, you cannot send your kids to school in Malibu.
My bad, I mean those kids can go to the nearest school which is full of white kids. Can't they?

For example. a black family with a good income moves into a town somewhere in Alabama and the nearest school is full of white kids, can the black parents send their kids there?

My bad, I mean those kids can go to the nearest school which is full of white kids. Can't they?

For example. a black family with a good income moves into a town somewhere in Alabama and the nearest school is full of white kids, can the black parents send their kids there?

If it is zoned so yes, if you are black and live in Trussville so you must go to mostly white school so you cannot opt to attend the school in Birmingham if you don't live in city limit. If black students want go to all black school so they have move to Birmingham and I know some black students prefer go to all black school to get away from racial tension.

If it isn't zoned so you don't have much choice, beside private school. The public school have different fund source - mostly from property tax.

Private school have no zone restriction and they usually have strict mandatory uniform so you will less likely to see racism and classism at private school - if you are racist and you could be expelled but public school cannot expel anyone for being racist.

12347771_517690708394823_6690970047529143835_n.jpg

Islam is religion like Christianity so it don't make sense.

In US, government cannot adopt the state religion.
The image is referring to the symbols of the respective shooters representing the reasons for their attacks. It's not about adopting a state religion.

The image is referring to the symbols of the respective shooters representing the reasons for their attacks. It's not about adopting a state religion.

That's not what I'm saying.

The confederate symbol is part of flag that separation of state and federal, that's government matter but Islam is part of religion like Christianity. It is obviously apple to orange.

If Islam is replaced with ISIS or Al Qaeda, it will make sense but confederate symbol is part of heritage that not used by government official anymore.

Islam is very big religion with over billion of people - it means not all of them are bad, but only ISIS, Al Qaeda and religious terrorists are bad sector of Islam.

Back