Confederate Flag

What does Confederate Rebel Flag means to you?

• A symbol of Civil War History

Votes: 41 25.8%
  • A symbol of racist

Votes: 44 27.7%
  • A symbol of Heritage (Civil War Veteran Generation)

Votes: 60 37.7%
  • Others - please specify

Votes: 14 8.8%

• Total voters
Cite me the forum rules please.

No mod has edited or removed my post yet so appears I'm not breaking any rules. I've seen this done many times over the years in many forums. It's just a tongue in cheek kind of thing (even though I meant it in seriousness as I never do that sort of thing anyway).

And really? You REALLY had to go overboard with the court room pictures?
One would have been enough no need to cram it down my throat.

Fine...
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/1296633/posts

The difference is that the flag that is displayed is legal notice, to all who enter, of the type of law that holds jurisdiction. The constitutional United States flag signifies common law jurisdiction.

To me that only SIGNIFIES that there is a certain type of jurisdiction, it does not represent it. That's my opinion you can have yours.

"(S)till happening all under the American flag," meaning with US government sanction?

Meaning it all still happens under the American flag... slavery while not legal in the us still happens...and we still finaually and otherwise support some that do have slavery; in and out of name....

I understand you completely. That was the past. Even in the 50s, 60s and 70s, minority people were not treated equally under our national flag. Those white people who thought we didn't deserve equality were mean and didn't deserve to live. Look at today, we have equal access as hearing people (not 100% anyway). IMO, the USA flag represents the US constitutions. That's why they are in every courtroom. The big issue is that people like so many politicians/civilians don't like what it represents as the old-fashioned people in the past. Gay marriage, abortion, black lives matter and so forth. The USA flag currently supports them since the flag is under the US constitutions. Remember JFK saying that a black student could go to any college because s/he is a human being like you and me because of what the USA flag represents. Of course, a lot of people oppose what the flag represents. Again, the issue is like you said, control while those fools completely fail to understand what the flag represents today. Ban our national flag? LOL

It's not the past though... it is still today ... there is no equality when companies HAVE to hire a race... and "as hearing"? Does this not add a qualifier that shows there is inequality again?
People place values to a flag... does it change the meaning of it?
One person says the confederate flag is heritage, another a symbol of KKK, another says it is hate, and yet another says isn't that the flag of Canada? Hmm... but... who is the fool?

Meaning it all still happens under the American flag... slavery while not legal in the us still happens...and we still finaually and otherwise support some that do have slavery; in and out of name....
Are you saying that our current American government legally sanctions slavery in USA territories? Because that's what it means to say that slavery still happens under the American flag.

Are you saying that our current American government legally sanctions slavery in USA territories? Because that's what it means to say that slavery still happens under the American flag.

Does the U.S. not aide countries that knowingly have and use slavery?

I just feel that the confederate flag misrepresent the wrong message on what the flag represented. Every one had different idea or thought of what the confederate flag represented. It might have been started before the Civil War and wanted to have slavery and to have only white people like there is no equality never wanting to associate with their difference of skin color like Black people, even Native Americans. What about Chinese people who came and were being discriminated, too?

We all have different flag for each state in United States. I feel that the confederate flag must be more than one state to represent for only white people wanting to have superior over different nationality of who we are. The white people don't want to get along with us ever. That is what is wrong with the system here.

Did it ever occur to you that Native Americans has been here for centuries before the White people came? Your ancestors came over here from England or any other countries wanting to take over lands to get what you want just because they were being abused or discriminated in Europe. It goes to show that White people don't have any heart for humanity or Mother Earth at all. Why are we always at war with each other in our own North America?

This is why I voted a symbol of racist because you don't want equality with color of skins. You want pure white. Simple. :(

I just feel that the confederate flag misrepresent the wrong message on what the flag represented. Every one had different idea or thought of what the confederate flag represented. It might have been started before the Civil War and wanted to have slavery and to have only white people like there is no equality never wanting to associate with their difference of skin color like Black people, even Native Americans. What about Chinese people who came and were being discriminated, too?

We all have different flag for each state in United States. I feel that the confederate flag must be more than one state to represent for only white people wanting to have superior over different nationality of who we are. The white people don't want to get along with us ever. That is what is wrong with the system here.

Did it ever occur to you that Native Americans has been here for centuries before the White people came? Your ancestors came over here from England or any other countries wanting to take over lands to get what you want just because they were being abused or discriminated in Europe. It goes to show that White people don't have any heart for humanity or Mother Earth at all. Why are we always at war with each other in our own North America?

This is why I voted a symbol of racist because you don't want equality with color of skins. You want pure white. Simple. :(

You learned a history lesson from northern states - that's inaccurate and misled.

I already posted in other thread about 1-2 months ago and you still don't understand. Native Indians - Cherokee and Choctaw tribes are pro-confederate groups and white southerners are share similar culture as Cherokee and Choctaw.

The confederate flag only represents southern states and it isn't about races, even Native Indians and blacks own slaves as well - not limited to confederate state but applies to US too.

Chinese was limited to west coast like California and they didn't come to southern states until after WW2, especially after CRA passed in 1965. Chinese and Japanese have been discriminated by white people in California during WW2 era and they are under US flag.

The racism happens in ALL of states so it isn't exclusive to southern states and there were many blacks lynched during Great Migration when they moved to northern states. Lincoln is secretly racist and he doesn't like black people but he rather to free the slavery.

You constantly complain about white people take land away and seriously, I have no sympathy for Native Indians anymore because you won't stop complain and it will not going to change at all, also US government apologized to Native Indians and granted them with citizenship - that's big deal because they allow you to vote, even if you don't have to follow the federal and state laws and Indian reservations are covered with representative's district. My father is 1/2 Native Indian and he said to get over it.

"This is why I voted a symbol of racist because you don't want equality with color of skins. You want pure white. Simple. :("

Honestly, I don’t recall any AD'ers want whites only or don't want equality.

Also, I can't see how it will solve by removing and erasing all Southern histories. I think people forget that southern history is American history. Yeah, it was a dark time in our nation's history but it still needs to be taught. I am not saying that it's necessarily honored as something good.

For example, look at those 911 truthers. They did try to distort the real history of 9/11 and denied millions of actual witnesses, including Deaf & 9/11 survivors. That's not something should be acceptable.

Unfortunately, there is ignorant people out there that lacks knowledge of history. Monuments vandalized, flags taken down, the hatred for POC, among other things. People try to change history and misled people to change their opinions.

There is good and bad apples in both Union and Confederate as well as other times in history. History should be taught with facts and should be left alone and unaltered.

For 150 years, there was never an issue with Confederate until the church shooting in S.C. that changed a lot of things.

Curious who is "you" that is being refered to here?

I am very strong in Cree heritage (my mother's side) connecting to Ojibwe First Nation more than Cherokee heritage (my father's side). My ancestors were from Ontario and Quebec of Canada. I married my husband who was full Ojibwe (Anishinaabe) in Ontario. Both Cree and Ojibwe are similar and I had no problem with relationship with him and his tribe. We were married 15 years before he died in 2012. There were few Crees including myself living in Ojibwe First Nation reserve. I moved back home here in New Mexico after the death of my husband to be with my family (my sister and my son including my grandchildren).

The reason I came here to read about the Confederate flag. I noticed that it was posted in 2007. I am just curious. I don't think I have posted here on-topic Debates. So that is where I am debating here. It is my opinion.

I am very strong in Cree heritage (my mother's side) connecting to Ojibwe First Nation more than Cherokee heritage (my father's side). My ancestors were from Ontario and Quebec of Canada. I married my husband who was full Ojibwe (Anishinaabe) in Ontario. Both Cree and Ojibwe are similar and I had no problem with relationship with him and his tribe. We were married 15 years before he died in 2012. There were few Crees including myself living in Ojibwe First Nation reserve. I moved back home here in New Mexico after the death of my husband to be with my family (my sister and my son including my grandchildren).

The reason I came here to read about the Confederate flag. I noticed that it was posted in 2007. I am just curious. I don't think I have posted here on-topic Debates. So that is where I am debating here. It is my opinion.

I can understand all that... i was just curious if your post was directed at anyone...

. . .
For 150 years, there was never an issue with Confederate until the church shooting in S.C. that changed a lot of things.
Maybe not nationally but locally (SC) there was.

The Confederate flag was hoisted over the SC Statehouse building in 1961. It flew there until it was moved to the pole in front of the Statehouse in 2000.

In 1999, the NAACP organized a national economic boycott against SC tourism industry to take down the flag.

In 2001, the NCAA banned SC from hosting post-season games, until the flag came down.

Details:

Infoplease

The Day the Flag Went Up

I don't know about that.

I do know that unless a country or territory is under the governmental control of the USA, it's not "under the flag" of the USA. That means, the US doesn't have authority over the laws of that country.

By statute, the US does not allow slavery. That doesn't mean that there aren't cases of slavery occurring but it means it's not sanctioned by the law.

Those under the flag of the USA would be the United States (of course), Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa, Northern Mariana Islands, Midway Islands, Wake Island, Johnston Atoll, Baker, Howland and Jarvis Islands, Kingman Reef, Navassa Island and Palmyra Atoll. Overseas embassies and military bases would be included, too.

Personally, I don't want my country sending monetary aid to any countries that allow slavery to continue.

I don't know about that.

I do know that unless a country or territory is under the governmental control of the USA, it's not "under the flag" of the USA. That means, the US doesn't have authority over the laws of that country.

By statute, the US does not allow slavery. That doesn't mean that there aren't cases of slavery occurring but it means it's not sanctioned by the law.

Those under the flag of the USA would be the United States (of course), Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa, Northern Mariana Islands, Midway Islands, Wake Island, Johnston Atoll, Baker, Howland and Jarvis Islands, Kingman Reef, Navassa Island and Palmyra Atoll. Overseas embassies and military bases would be included, too.

Personally, I don't want my country sending monetary aid to any countries that allow slavery to continue.

And yet we do... and if we give them aide it is saying we agree with it... the US stamps almost everything it does with flags and name... so yet the flag goes there as well... so I see it as under the US Flag... we all have different ideas, opinions, and views...

And yet we do... and if we give them aide it is saying we agree with it... the US stamps almost everything it does with flags and name... so yet the flag goes there as well... so I see it as under the US Flag... we all have different ideas, opinions, and views...

But still it is wrong to have the confederate flag hoisted at the South Carolina Statehouse which is like the government place. United States flag is suppose to be at the Statehouse just like Washington, D.C. This is the difference between United State flag and the Confederate flag. So that is where we think that the confederate flag should be at the museum for the civil war battle.

Beside Mr. Hollis does not approve of the confederate flag at the SC Statehouse. Not the right place to put there. It had to be somewhere in the right place to hoist the flag.

But still it is wrong to have the confederate flag hoisted at the South Carolina Statehouse which is like the government place. United States flag is suppose to be at the Statehouse just like Washington, D.C. This is the difference between United State flag and the Confederate flag. So that is where we think that the confederate flag should be at the museum for the civil war battle.

Beside Mr. Hollis does not approve of the confederate flag at the SC Statehouse. Not the right place to put there. It had to be somewhere in the right place to hoist the flag.

I agree to a point... for the southern people the confederate flag does have political views and beliefs attached to them that would, in essence, allow the flag to be flown at the state house... in theory :) maybe like a reminder of the core political beliefs of most southern people...
Personally, due to the values and beliefs of the confederate flag... I agree about the flag not being on governmental buildings... but I also do not object to it being there....
Saying it should only be on, in, or over museums is also hard for me, because that is saying that the core beliefs are invalidated and should no longer be held... yet, if the flag is a heritage symbol... does that mean the heritage must die are willingly subside to the more dominate one?

It certainly has funded and armed groups the last 70 years who do support slavery, sex slavery and severe repression.
Al qeada, the teleban both at times were armed by the states..the teleban, as well as the mujahadeen recieved even stinger missles, ..of very recent memeory this year, the states actually blocked a move to arm kurds by a number of nations to fight isis, which keeps slaves as well as sex slaves..it has armed the saudis, which are close "friends", (shakes head)... it even wisked hgh ranking saudis oit of the states in the days after 911.... history will not be kind to the duplicity of america
It has also supported dictatorships who were very bloody. It has also overthrown elected presedents and helped install dictarshiops in replace....
Amarican forign policy since ww2 is littered with rather two faced american doings....on once side of its mouth it preached freedom, out the other armed heavy handed regimes....its domestic policy, during the conquest of the west, under the stars and stripes was murderous...
Rosevelt made no bones about what he thought about the red man, and what the white man should do..he even wrote a book on the very topic..

It certainly has funded and armed groups the last 70 years who do support slavery, sex slavery and severe repression.
Al qeada, the teleban both at times were armed by the states..the teleban, as well as the mujahadeen recieved even stinger missles, ..
It has also supported dictatorships who were very bloody. It has also overthrown ekected presedents and helped install dictarshiops in replace....
Amarican forign policy since ww2 is littered with rather two faced american doings....on once side of its mouth it oreached freedom, out the other armed heavy handed regimes....its domestic policy, during the conquest of the west, under the stars and stripes was murderous...
Rosevelt made no bones about what he thought about the red man, and what the white man should do..he even wrote a book on the very topic..

Thus my statement that it still happens under the American flag today... it is not just a yester-years kind of thing...

Back