Confederate Flag

What does Confederate Rebel Flag means to you?

• A symbol of Civil War History

Votes: 41 25.8%
  • A symbol of racist

Votes: 44 27.7%
  • A symbol of Heritage (Civil War Veteran Generation)

Votes: 60 37.7%
  • Others - please specify

Votes: 14 8.8%

• Total voters
What is a "Europe" flag? What does it represent?

Probably European Union.
European Union - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

800px-Flag_of_Europe.svg.png

Jenni-m, :ty: for know my post and know what I am saying/talking about.

Oh, and by the way.
I think in Germany it is illegal to display any Nazi flag or insignia. (correct me if I am wrong)
In the US, it is NOT illegal to fly or display Confederate colors. So unless/until it becomes so, people will just have to deal with it, no matter their personal opinion.

http://flagspot.net/flags/us-law.html

I would say yes, Nazi flag to the public is an illegal but not banned... I support it to show my respect on Nazi's victims. Of course they can collect Nazi things in the house. My hubby do have Nazi things from his Step-Grandfather here in our house as collectors. We all would consider it as ignorant and racism if the people use Nazi flag to wave to the public. Do you remember that Prince Harry use Nazi's clothes as fancy party to shock the world especially Nazi's victims at few years ago?

Yes I know it's not illegal to wave confederate flag to the public but where is their respect? I would not use confederate flag if I know it's not illegal.

What's the difference between "illegal" and "banned?"

I already explain the difference between illegal and banned in my respone to Jenni-m's post.

It's an illegal to use Nazi flag to wave to the public and legal to collect Nazi things in the house.

If it's really banned which mean that all Nazi things have to burnt up and make sure no Nazi things in our house - Nazi things forbidden around Germany. That's why banned is not consider because some people are allow to collect or buy Nazi things from their generation... Some Germans went to London to buy Nazi things as their collection.

Flag laws in the United States

I would say yes, Nazi flag to the public is an illegal but not banned... I support it to show my respect on Nazi's victims. Of course they can collect Nazi things in the house. My hubby do have Nazi things from his Step-Grandfather here in our house as collectors. We all would consider it as ignorant and racism if the people use Nazi flag to wave to the public. Do you remember that Prince Harry use Nazi's clothes as fancy party to shock the world especially Nazi's victims at few years ago?

Yes I know it's not illegal to wave confederate flag to the public but where is their respect? I would not use confederate flag if I know it's not illegal.

I understand, there are some differences, however.
1. Confederacy did not have a Holocaust.
2. Confederacy was not invading other countries (They were fighting to separate and be recognized as a sovereign nation)
3. If you want to look at slavery, it was legal in the United States as a whole, before the Confederate States even attempted to separate.

I mean, come on. George Washington owned slaves. Yet he is on our one dollar bill. I don't see anyone complaining about using him as an icon. I don't see anyone complaining about the dozen or so statues of Jefferson Davis (the Confederate President) in various places around the country.

I understand people want to forget about some things. It just seems they conveniently 'forget' about some things more easily than others... and other times they just want something to fight over.

You don't fly the EU flag with or above the German flag, do you?

:roll:

We collect flags from different countries where we visited to and also German and EU flag.

We have EU sticker on our cars which is good enough. :)

Ok Guys,

I know there's been a lot of emotion involved with this issue regarding to the Rebel Flag. There is no rights or wrongs in this one. Let's tone it down a little bit, okay?

So it's alright for AD to advocate racism on these boards knowing full well that the Southern Cross represents it?

but you're waving a flag that represents slavery and non-unity. I wave American flag because it represents the future and unity. It reminds us to fight for what we believe in - the freedom and equality. Confederate Flag does not represent that. I understand Southerners argue it's just a symbol of being Southern but it's entrenched with racism and slavery. Surely - there are other ways to glorify your Southern heritage other than Confederate flag.

To Freedom and Equality!
23w45md.gif

:gpost:

Freedom that is controlled with money.
Equality controlled with discrimination and racism. :barf:

:roll:

Who lost the war?
I am viewing it from a neutral and unbiased standpoint.
There is no "me" or "we" or "us", here.

I am from Michigan and always have been, which so happens would have been Union, back then.

If people want to look at it as "us" vs "you", then they have an agenda, and well... we can't use that very well in logical determinations.

That would pretty much sum it up as "the Confederate flag is racist, because we say it is." That's called 'arbitrary'.

Oh, and by the way.
I think in Germany it is illegal to display any Nazi flag or insignia. (correct me if I am wrong)
In the US, it is NOT illegal to fly or display Confederate colors. So unless/until it becomes so, people will just have to deal with it, no matter their personal opinion.

When one flies a flag that divides a country, they are separating themselves from the rest of the country and have decided that it is "us" against "them."

So therefore, it becomes "us" against "them"....again.

No southerner hasn't explained why they would associate themselves with this flag knowing that SPLC has stated that over 500 extremist groups use this flag as their symbol.....

When one flies a flag that divides a country, they are separating themselves from the rest of the country and have decided that it is "us" against "them."

Who says that is what they are doing? I don't get it.
Also, flags don't divide anything. People do.

No southerner hasn't explained why they would associate themselves with this flag knowing that SPLC has stated that over 500 extremist groups use this flag as their symbol.....

I suppose it would be up to the individual to do that, rather than someone else assume for them.

Racist or pro-slavery groups could just as easily use this flag to represent themselves too:
126px-US_flag_13_stars_%E2%80%93_Betsy_Ross.svg.png

It has the history behind it, there was slavery, and it was long before civil rights laws, or the American Civil War. But nobody sees it as a symbol for these things...

Who says that is what they are doing? I don't get it.
Also, flags don't divide anything. People do.

I suppose it would be up to the individual to do that, rather than someone else assume for them.

Racist or pro-slavery groups could just as easily use this flag to represent themselves too:
126px-US_flag_13_stars_%E2%80%93_Betsy_Ross.svg.png

It has the history behind it, there was slavery, and it was long before civil rights laws, or the American Civil War. But nobody sees it as a symbol for these things...

Name a racist/pro-slavery group that uses a flag with 13 stars on it today that you have displayed?

There isn't. :)

The Dixie flag has a lot of racist/ pro-slavery groups tied to it. That is why there are 500 extremist groups that uses it to represent themselves.

Byrdie said: "The Dixie flag has a lot of racist/ pro-slavery groups tied to it. That is why there are 500 extremist groups that uses it to represent themselves."

While this statement may be true, the original meaning/intent, etc for that flag is at odds with the thinking of these extremist groups you are talking about.

Byrdie said: "The Dixie flag has a lot of racist/ pro-slavery groups tied to it. That is why there are 500 extremist groups that uses it to represent themselves."

While this statement may be true, the original meaning/intent, etc for that flag is at odds with the thinking of these extremist groups you are talking about.

Guilt by association.

and the system of slavery and segregation are better? :barf:
<tap on your shoulder> you are in wrong seat

Obviously you havent been involved with the thread lately. You need to learn that before you jump to conclusion, be sure to get the whole story. But lucky you, Im here to teach you something you missed in history class:

PLEASE READ CAREFULLY

It's Southern Heritage, NOT Hate.

I am the Confederate Flag of America.
I was born in 1861. I represented many Americans of which were many colors, contrary to modern day beliefs. I am hated by people who don’t know me or what I stood for. I was not designed as a hate object, though many people look at me this way today. I was not born to represent white sheets and shaved heads.

I was designed to support state rights and soldiers who wore gray. So don’t hate me because of what certain groups have used me for. Just remember at some point in time I represented each and every one of you, because I was an American symbol, and represented you, no matter what race you are.

and the system of slavery and segregation are better? :barf:
<tap on your shoulder> you are in wrong seat

When I was speaking of Freedom and Equality, I was NOT relating to the confederacy flag AT ALL. Once again, you jumped to conclusion. I was speaking of today's world.

Freedom does cost money. Look around us... everything is expensive and prices are continuing to go up and its a bitch to find a good paying job these days to be able to afford all the luxuries.

Equality... come on Im not speaking of slavery, you idiot. In many areas across the USA in today's world, people discriminate the deaf, blind, and the handicapped. Many people across the USA are racist... mexicans hate black, black hate mexicans, some whites hate black, a lot of black hate whites, southerns hate yankees, yankees hate southerns. A lot of true americans hate foreign people... especically the people we are in war with right now.

We americans all have equal rights but the system is corrupted in different areas all across america depending on the location. How many of you got turned down for jobs just because you are hearing impaired?? Im sure a lot of us did, including myself.

America is not perfect and it never will be. There is way too much shit to straighten up. Thats why it would be best if people would be who they want to be and leave other people alone.

Respect others as you want them to respect you back. Fuck with them, of course you would expect them to fuck with you back.

I take pride to believe what I believe in, so let it be.
Im sure you believe in things that I do not support, but it wont bother me at all because I am not you and I respect you for who you are.

We can still be friends even though we both have different beliefs... I respect your beliefs, and you respect my beliefs and its all cool.

I am who I am.

Obviously you havent been involved with the thread lately. You need to learn that before you jump to conclusion, be sure to get the whole story. But lucky you, Im here to teach you something you missed in history class:
I never missed a history class. I'm quite aware of what Confederate Flag is about so I'm here to make sure you're fully aware of its symbolism so LISTEN UP!

PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
PLEASE THINK CAREFULLY!

It's Southern Heritage, NOT Hate.
Yes and what did Confederate Soldiers fought for and died for under that flag hmm?

I was born in 1861. I represented many Americans of which were many colors, contrary to modern day beliefs. I am hated by people who don’t know me or what I stood for. I was not designed as a hate object, though many people look at me this way today. I was not born to represent white sheets and shaved heads.
Yes I know it represents Southern Heritage but how convenient of you to change its original representation to modern representation. You cannot change its original historical symbolism. Did you not forget what Confederate soldiers fought for under this flag?

I was designed to support state rights and soldiers who wore gray.
You mean it was ORIGINALLY designed to support the rich owners of plantations?

So don’t hate me because of what certain groups have used me for. Just remember at some point in time I represented each and every one of you, because I was an American symbol, and represented you, no matter what race you are.
Really? no matter what race you are? that's funny..... last time I remember... black, asians, and minorities weren't included.... :hmm:

I don't hate what you represent but it brings up a painful memory of history. I've had a great opportunity to live in South. I love its famous Southern hospitality and food. I lived in Virginia for 3 years and my Virginian roommate is a proud Confederate Flag waver for Southern Heritage. I do like living in South and in my opinion, they are more hospitable than Northerners and have more common sense than them which is why I have a slight Southern Conservative political view.

But let me tell you a little story. I am a proud Buddhist. One of its symbols especially in Hinduism is a swastika like this:
142px-HinduSwastika.svg.png

but unfortunately, it is automatically associated with Nazi. I'm not sure how but somehow Nazi copied the symbol and moved it 45-degree clockwise which became like this -
200px-Nazi_Swastika.svg.png

My point is - I'm not proudly displaying Buddhism symbol in public OUT OF respect for many. You Southerners should do same. Plastering Confederate Flag/symbol on license plates, outsides, etc. is disrespectful for many who associated it with bigotry, racism, and slavery. We came a long way to this far with a very heavy cost. Wave it proudly privately, not publicly.

I never missed a history class. I'm quite aware of what Confederate Flag is about so I'm here to make sure you're fully aware of its symbolism so LISTEN UP!

PLEASE THINK CAREFULLY!

Yes and what did Confederate Soldiers fought for and died for under that flag hmm?

Yes I know it represents Southern Heritage but how convenient of you to change its original representation to modern representation. You cannot change its original historical symbolism. Did you not forget what Confederate soldiers fought for under this flag?

You mean it was ORIGINALLY designed to support the rich owners of plantations?

Really? no matter what race you are? that's funny..... last time I remember... black, asians, and minorities weren't included.... :hmm:

I don't hate what you represent but it brings up a painful memory of history. I've had a great opportunity to live in South. I love its famous Southern hospitality and food. I lived in Virginia for 3 years and my Virginian roommate is a proud Confederate Flag waver for Southern Heritage. I do like living in South and in my opinion, they are more hospitable than Northerners and have more common sense than them which is why I have a slight Southern Conservative political view.

But let me tell you a little story. I am a proud Buddhist. One of its symbols especially in Hinduism is a swastika like this:
142px-HinduSwastika.svg.png

but unfortunately, it is automatically associated with Nazi. I'm not sure how but somehow Nazi copied the symbol and moved it 45-degree clockwise which became like this -
200px-Nazi_Swastika.svg.png

My point is - I'm not proudly displaying Buddhism symbol in public OUT OF respect for many. You Southerners should do same. Plastering Confederate Flag/symbol on license plates, outsides, etc. is disrespectful for many who associated it with bigotry, racism, and slavery. We came a long way to this far with a very heavy cost. Wave it proudly privately, not publicly.

WOW!!! that is some interesting stuff there. But unfortuneately it was a waste of time and energy for you. NONE of this proved me anything. But Im not complaining because all this is what you think, what you believe in, and

GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!! I AM PROUD OF YOU!!! :applause:

But as for ME, no thanks. Nothing is gonna change me. Thanks anyways.

I was designed to support state rights and soldiers who wore gray. So don’t hate me because of what certain groups have used me for. Just remember at some point in time I represented each and every one of you, because I was an American symbol, and represented you, no matter what race you are.

false.

So it's alright for AD to advocate racism on these boards knowing full well that the Southern Cross represents it?

To answer your question - While it may seemingly to be advocated as a racism in your view. In my view it isn't racism. It is part of heritage. I know the Southern Cross is heavily represented or taken as a form of racism but there are a lot of other people who would view it as a heritage or a symbol of different purposes. This serves as a purpose of this thread to discuss about the same issues that can either be considered racism or not.

I am aware a lot of people use it as a symbol for racism. In the beginning, it wasn't for racism. It was to represent the 11 southern states that seceded from the Union. It is the same purpose for having the US Flag that represents this country with 50 stars and 13 stripes on it. Let's see, If the US Flag was represented for something else, would it make any difference or not? I'd like to hear this out.

Back