Computer security in a dormitory.

I found a encryption program called TrueCrypt able to protect the hard drives with a password even protect the OS with password when boot up. It would take hours to complete the encryption. It supports Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X.

I told you my new computer case has hot swappable hard drives, not screwed to the case so I need to encrypt them other than lock them in the mobile job box if I am on leave. It is only computer I used to shop online. I rather be safe than being sorry.

EDIT: I wonder if a router can make any connected device invisible to a public network?

I found a encryption program called TrueCrypt able to protect the hard drives with a password even protect the OS with password when boot up. It would take hours to complete the encryption. It supports Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X.

so does Windows Bitlocker.

Can you modify the security settings of your Wi-Fi router device? Passwords don't always work,:instead, assign the MAC addresses (I.e. AB:12:CD:34:EF) of your equipment to the Wi-Fi device.

easy to spoof a MAC address

so does Windows Bitlocker.

Windows 7 Professional does have that program. Only Ultimate and Enterprise have it. I cannot trust anything by Microsoft like IE but their operating systems long as protected by non-Microsoft security programs.

If you wanna go super crazy put your sensative data on an encrypted usb drive that only gets pluged in when you're disconected from the internet.

Windows 7 Professional does have that program. Only Ultimate and Enterprise have it. I cannot trust anything by Microsoft like IE but their operating systems long as protected by non-Microsoft security programs.

TrueCrypt is not all that great either. It's good but not that great. Windows 7 is actually more secured than the predecessors. and better designed.

I told you my new computer case has hot swappable hard drives, not screwed to the case so I need to encrypt them other than lock them in the mobile job box if I am on leave. It is only computer I used to shop online. I rather be safe than being sorry.

EDIT: I wonder if a router can make any connected device invisible to a public network?

OSX already have FileVault.

FileVault encrypts your home directory only. Truecrypt cannot encrypt the system volume.'

Flash usb is better than hot swappable hard drives for hide and easy to carry with you.

Best security ever!

Nothing match that, and it will never happen.

And that's fact.

yes. unplug it.

images

That's comical!

When i said it i wasnt aware he had secret alien technology he was hiding. I'e never had anyone get at any of my computers past my router security. Not saying it cant be done just not an issue for most people.

"No one can see you" thats truly comical, know why? Even with set up router, and you make a VRS call, the other end can see you.

LOL!

When i said it i wasnt aware he had secret alien technology he was hiding. I'e never had anyone get at any of my computers past my router security. Not saying it cant be done just not an issue for most people.

use linux instead...esp in the dorm, hell you'd have an even better gaming ping too

Does that dorm have a reputation for a computer crime problem or security vulnerability? Have you had a bad experience in the past?

I'm just curious about this insecurity about using your computer in the dorm.

Have you considered scaling down what you bring with you? Maybe you should leave home a lot of the hardware. If it's a temporary situation, maybe travel light with the basics.

Its just saying, you made it way less than 5 minutes. Point across already.

should be less than 10 seconds lol. if it takes (general) you 1-4 minutes.... tsk tsk tsk... sad. :lol:

Old school are much wiser, LOL

Since I am not hacker, and not interesting in hacking anyone so I only have general idea.

should be less than 10 seconds lol. if it takes (general) you 1-4 minutes.... tsk tsk tsk... sad. :lol:

panic about chinese hackers stole U.S. military computer's secret weapon folders and then you're next victim? pssh

Back