Computer security in a dormitory.

Ocie Denver

Reaction score
In next week, I will be off to a trade school for a better chance in jobs. Due to being remote location from my home, I have to stay in a dormitory. I'm taking my laptop and gaming computer there. I can thief-proof them physically but not hard drives or network. I'm going to use their Internet network. I also bring my own router to approval WiFi access to other wireless devices under password protection.

I want a security program to keep my computer invisible to public view and other to keep hard drives secured/encrypted with a password. Any suggestions?

yes. unplug it.

images

Well why don't you buy big vault and put it next to ur desktop. Drill holes for wire to go thru. Put ur computer and gaming console inside. Voila!!! You have most secured place for ur toys! Would that work for you?? :rofl:

Catty

Ha. Perhaps. My new computer case has hot-swap hard drive bays so I want to lock them out if removed.

use a decoy. put a fake panel on it so that it looks like it's blank.

Well why don't you buy big vault and put it next to ur desktop. Drill holes for wire to go thru. Put ur computer and gaming console inside. Voila!!! You have most secured place for ur toys! Would that work for you?? :rofl:

Catty

I bought a mobile job box to keep them locked and plan to buy security screws and wire for the desktop computer.

I had with enough jokes now.

I bought a mobile job box to keep them locked and plan to buy security screws and wire for the desktop computer.

I had with enough jokes now.

not sure why you've made this thread if you've already got the solution..

not sure why you've made this thread if you've already got the solution..

I said I can secure them physically but not in a network due to its being public to everyone in a dormitory. Anyone can access it through the wired network but limited WiFi in other locations. I get my own wireless router. What if someone able hack via the public network or see my folders?

I said I can secure them physically but not in a network due to its being public to everyone in a dormitory. Anyone can access it through the wired network but limited WiFi in other locations. I get my own wireless router.

Post #4. and it's only public if you set it as a public folder.

Mac? Windows? what version?

If you have your own router set your security there. No one can see past your router.

Checklist:
-Laptop and gaming consoles go in the mobile job box.
-Gaming desktop computer use security screws and wires.
-Both laptop and desktop use internet security program.
-Wireless router use a password and SSID invisible to public.
-Hard drives in desktop computer are not secured with a password or encryption. Need a program.
-Need a program to make gaming computer invisible to public.

Checklist:
-Laptop and gaming consoles go in the mobile job box.
-Gaming desktop computer use security screws and wires.
-Both laptop and desktop use internet security program.
-Wireless router use a password and SSID invisible to public.
-Hard drives in desktop computer are not secured with a password or encryption. Need a program.
-Need a program to make gaming computer invisible to public.

Do you have Windows Ultimate? You could encryption the hard drive with that Windows Ultimate.

Do you have Windows Ultimate? You could encryption the hard drive with that Windows Ultimate.

I have Windows 7 Professional. It doesn't have that BitLocker program which found in Windows Vista systems. However I found Windows 7's encryption program. I'm setting it up and find out.

My main concern about it is it's Microsoft product which it may compromised the encryption.

EDIT: It only encrypt the folders, not hard drives.

I have Windows 7 Professional. It doesn't have that BitLocker program which found in Windows Vista systems. However I found Windows 7's encryption program. I'm setting it up and find out.

My main concern about it is it's Microsoft product which it may compromised the encryption.

I think you're being silly paranoid.... and no it cannot encrypt the primary hdd otherwise how else is it going to boot up.... and that wouldn't be advisable since it will make your computer run very slow.

do you have a questionable content in your HDD or perhaps something..... illegal?

Why worry for your own protection of such computer at the dorm?

The university network is very secured so you shouldn't worry about security risk.

I was Gally student and brought my computer, also built my PC gaming rig - used their network without any problem - very secured.

Difference with university network - you can't use torrent or P2P apps because it won't work - blocked.

Switch to Linux ubuntu. For gaming pc? I don't bother to put the very important files in the gaming PC. Just put the important files in the laptop and flash usb with 256-bit encryption folder.

Gaming PC and important files do not mix due some games need open port or disable firewall to enable play multiplayer games or host games.

Can you modify the security settings of your Wi-Fi router device? Passwords don't always work,:instead, assign the MAC addresses (I.e. AB:12:CD:34:EF) of your equipment to the Wi-Fi device.

Can you modify the security settings of your Wi-Fi router device? Passwords don't always work,:instead, assign the MAC addresses (I.e. AB:12:CD:34:EF) of your equipment to the Wi-Fi device.

WPA2 took long time to crack like around 8-10 months. (no kidding)

WPA1 took around 30 min to crack.

WEP took around 1 min to crack.

Back