Computer reformat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JClarke

AD Veteran
Premium Member
Reaction score
Since I know how to reformat computers - In the Vista which was pretty easy since it has a partition hard drive where the OS is stored, once it is reformatted and whatnot.

But my brother, has notified me earlier today, that he has asked me to get their PC's (the kids PC) reformatted since it is running horribly. It is Windows XP, I am wondering if ALL window XP computers provides a OS in a CD or is it already a partiltion in the computer like the Vista does?

The PC is a Dell PC and was manunfactured in Feb 2006. Excatly three years old and is running on Windows XP. Do you guys have any opinions on how to reformat it properly on this situation? Gentlemen?

Hmm... good question.

When I got my computer, it came with Windows ME installed. I formatted it and installed Windows XP.

I think the best person to ask would be the manufacturer that you got the computer from.

Hmm... good question.

When I got my computer, it came with Windows ME installed. I formatted it and installed Windows XP.

I think the best person to ask would be the manufacturer that you got the computer from.

I thought you was happy with Windows ME till hard drive died then replace a new hard drive then bought XP for $5-$10 from RIT then install on your new hard drive. Hmmm.
:hmm:

http://www.alldeaf.com/computers-electronics-gaming/41516-finally.html

Though so. Just installed XP. No reformat. :roll:

Since I know how to reformat computers - In the Vista which was pretty easy since it has a partition hard drive where the OS is stored, once it is reformatted and whatnot.

But my brother, has notified me earlier today, that he has asked me to get their PC's (the kids PC) reformatted since it is running horribly. It is Windows XP, I am wondering if ALL window XP computers provides a OS in a CD or is it already a partiltion in the computer like the Vista does?

The PC is a Dell PC and was manunfactured in Feb 2006. Excatly three years old and is running on Windows XP. Do you guys have any opinions on how to reformat it properly on this situation? Gentlemen?

Mostly Dell have factory System Recovery cd. No OEM.

I thought you was happy with Windows ME till hard drive died then replace a new hard drive then bought XP for $5-$10 from RIT then install on your new hard drive. Hmmm.
:hmm:

http://www.alldeaf.com/computers-electronics-gaming/41516-finally.html

Though so. Just installed XP. No reformat. :roll:
Oh, I was happy with Windows ME. I never had problems with it.

I got Windows XP from RIT for $5, but kept putting off with installing it. I finally installed it after I got the new 200 GB hard drive. :)

If it's a Dell, while booting up and once BIOS 'DELL" splashscreen disappear and if you see blue bar on top of screen with 'Dell' on it just before XP splashscreen show up. You might want to try immedialy press CTL+F12 to enter Restore program that was hidden in partitation. If not. Try google search 'Restore Dell XP hard drive'. They might tell u special function key to enter Restore program (it is actually a Dell Renamed Norton Ghost itself).

If u don't see anything on it then use Dell's Restore CD. I wish u good luck reinstalling drivers. Reminder that Dell's Driver cd is a pieces of crap.

Once U restore XP, try download and install all drivers it need from Dell's site and put all drivers installer in one folder and burn it to CD and it's a truly a timesaver.

Catty

If it's a Dell, while booting up and once BIOS 'DELL" splashscreen disappear and if you see blue bar on top of screen with 'Dell' on it just before XP splashscreen show up. You might want to try immedialy press CTL+F12 to enter Restore program that was hidden in partitation. If not. Try google search 'Restore Dell XP hard drive'. They might tell u special function key to enter Restore program (it is actually a Dell Renamed Norton Ghost itself).

If u don't see anything on it then use Dell's Restore CD. I wish u good luck reinstalling drivers. Reminder that Dell's Driver cd is a pieces of crap.

Once U restore XP, try download and install all drivers it need from Dell's site and put all drivers installer in one folder and burn it to CD and it's a truly a timesaver.

Catty

Yes, I dont understand why some DELL do have restore in the other partition and some Dell don't have so use the cd. Sometime restore do have driver but LOT junk software like AOL free for 30days, trial antivirus, etc.. I never like system recovery from dell.

I've had to do that a few times in the past (thus, a crash course in malware, no one provides instructions on how to deal with it, especially the lag associated with it). There is no stored OS in XP issued PCs. The disc is necessary (usually a red label cd-rom that accompanied it), so if the disc is not available, unfortunately another will need to be purchased due to one system per OS legal restrictions. To try to restore it is useless as the offending malware will still exist in the system - my 2 cents, perhaps there are other ways to correct nowadays.

Yes, I dont understand why some DELL do have restore in the other partition and some Dell don't have so use the cd. Sometime restore do have driver but LOT junk software like AOL free for 30days, trial antivirus, etc.. I never like system recovery from dell.

If u could use LiveCD Linux and mount the Partition which is hidden, if u can hack and delete some files and folders that have junks in it. Perhap u can have a 'clean' installation. You'll have to download and install linux's program that can reconize NTFS then u can hack.

Would that make you feel any better?

Catty

Which one is XP basic or XP professional OS? I favor XP Pro. I will install XP Pro on my new HP Pavillion notebook soon. but some software won't work for video card, printer. etc.

If u could use LiveCD Linux and mount the Partition which is hidden, if u can hack and delete some files and folders that have junks in it. Perhap u can have a 'clean' installation. You'll have to download and install linux's program that can reconize NTFS then u can hack.

Would that make you feel any better?

Catty

True and too much times for that. Ubuntu is very nice. Yeah! I always burn all linux live on the dvd and I noticed dvd is quick than cd for boot up due dual layers read and less time spin. I don't bother to buy blank cds anymore. I know mostly linux live is only 400-700mb that will fit in the cd but i still use dvd. :)

Which one is XP basic or XP professional OS? I favor XP Pro. I will install XP Pro on my new HP Pavillion notebook soon. but some software won't work for video card, printer. etc.

It'll work with any hardware just like XP Home (basic). XP Pro that I have is SP3 slipstreamed. I never had issue with hardwares when I installed. I just download and install 3rd party driver instead of Windows own cuz it runs better.

Like for example: for Printer, I just download driver and program for HP PSC2175 and driver for Nvidia Ti200 so I can have more options to configure than XP's own driver.

Most important thing is that just download drivers for your PC or Laptop's driver from HP then burn it to CD or transfer to flashdrive. So that after fresh installing XP, you just simply install drivers from CD or flashdrive and get it done quickly. It make computer run efficiently.

That's what I do to every customer's PC and Laptop so I don't have to hear their "whine" over problems. :rofl:

Catty

I have a CD from my HP mini, and it have Windows XP (I think, basic) CD in it and I was like, WTF, even though my mini laptop doesn't have a CD drive! But come to food thought, it would be useful for the other PC. Will have a look later.

I have a CD from my HP mini, and it have Windows XP (I think, basic) CD in it and I was like, WTF, even though my mini laptop doesn't have a CD drive! But come to food thought, it would be useful for the other PC. Will have a look later.

Hey,

There's a way to do that!! Have you heard IDE to USB adapter?? It's $15 device. I have one at home and I use that to extract files from 2.5 hdd with bad sector before it goes bad. This adapter can work with IDE CDrom. It came with power supply. This type of Adapter can work withSATA, IDE, 2.5 drive, 3.5 drive and even 5.4 Cdrom drive. You'll have to be careful what you are choosing. There are some adapter limited as a backup or some can't do CDrom (optical drive). Keep eye open on description. It's really neat that you can add another drive as a spare or use IDE DVD drive to watch movie on Netbook!! I don't know if it can work with SATA type CDrom.

I'm sure that you can google search and find similar brand like I have. --->> Micro Center - u-Jam Pro IDE/SATA USB Hard Drive Adaptor <<--- This won't boot up on CDrom drive. Either that you can boot it up with bootable USB flashdrive with Linux and plug in USB drive and it'll detect and transfer entire copy of XP from CDrom then do next below

You might have to use USB flashdrive as a bootable device such as Bootable DOS USB Flash drive --->> Boot From A USB Flash Drive <<---
Then you can switch drive from "A:/ to C:/ install XP....

Another option:

There's another way to install XP into Netbook without CDrom drive.
EEEguides.com: Install Windows XP on the Asus Eee PC

So That's why you got XP Home Cdrom and you're looking :confused: and actually it's a way how they installed XP on netbook like what I mentioned.

Catty

Hey, There's a way to do that!! Have you heard IDE to USB adapter?? It's $15 device. I have one at home and I use that to extract files from 2.5 hdd with bad sector before it goes bad. This adapter can work with IDE CDrom. It came with power supply.

It can work with 2.5, 3.5, 5.25 SATA/IDE drives even optical drive. IT came with power supply except for SATA and 2.5 hdd that use USB 5vdc power. You can even use it as backup drive using spare drive or watch movie on DVD drive hooked up to USB adapter plugged to Netbook!! Be sure you keep your eye peel on "SATA/IDE and accept 5.25" Optical drive an works both way (transfer file to or from). Some just only backup and won't do both way. I am not sure if it'll work with SATA Optical drive.. :shrug:

I'm sure that you can google search and find similar brand like I have. --->> Micro Center - u-Jam Pro IDE/SATA USB Hard Drive Adaptor <<--- This won't boot up on CDrom drive. Either that you can boot it up with bootable USB flashdrive with Linux and plug in USB drive and it'll detect as USB drive and you can transfer entire copy of XP from CDrom to hdd or netbook's flashdrive then do next below

You might have to use USB flashdrive as a bootable device such as Bootable DOS USB Flash drive --->> Boot From A USB Flash Drive <<---
Then you can switch drive from "A:/ to C:/ install XP....

Another option:

There's another way to install XP into Netbook without CDrom drive.
EEEguides.com: Install Windows XP on the Asus Eee PC

So That's why you got XP Home Cdrom and you're looking :confused: and actually it's a way how they installed XP on netbook like what I mentioned.

Catty

Well, I think that XP Professional is better than XP Home. I will look for cheap XP Pro CD by EBay.

I have Windows XP CD, I had a look at the CD from the HP mini, and it is restore OS system. It will only work for HP and compaq devices. But not sure if it works for the DELL PC, and there is another CD, which they are system drivers to reinstalled.

Well, I think that XP Professional is better than XP Home. I will look for cheap XP Pro CD by EBay.

Windows Xp Professional and Xp Home are almost same. Sound "Professional" dont mean better than home. It just ADD more network control for remote desktop, That's it!

I copy/paste from internet.

Windows XP Pro have:

Use the computer system for small business and/or to connect to your company's work computer.
Require security protection for your files and folders on your hard drives.
Create the NT File System (NTFS) which enables you to protect sensitive data on your hard drive.
Encrypt your files as well as control access to them with read only or read and write permissions.
Create and control groups, i.e. corporate, accounting, maintenance, etc.

So XP Pro is pointless if you never use remote desktop,shard folder control, etc..

And M$ won't let ebay sell Windows for cheap. My friend's brother tried to sell his Windows thing on ebay and M$ keep cut it.

Windows Xp Professional and Xp Home are almost same. Sound "Professional" dont mean better than home. It just ADD more network control for remote desktop, That's it!

I copy/paste from internet.

Windows XP Pro have:

Use the computer system for small business and/or to connect to your company's work computer.
Require security protection for your files and folders on your hard drives.
Create the NT File System (NTFS) which enables you to protect sensitive data on your hard drive.
Encrypt your files as well as control access to them with read only or read and write permissions.
Create and control groups, i.e. corporate, accounting, maintenance, etc.

So XP Pro is pointless if you never use remote desktop,shard folder control, etc..

And M$ won't let ebay sell Windows for cheap. My friend's brother tried to sell his Windows thing on ebay and M$ keep cut it.

yes, I use to need XP Pro to work for Purple and my own same business in selling. I will look for XP Pro Serve 2 to reformat it into my new notebook.

yes, I use to need XP Pro to work for Purple and my own same business in selling. I will look for XP Pro Serve 2 to reformat it into my new notebook.

What's wrong with Vista? :hmm: btw it's Xp Service Pack 3 right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back