College presidents want lower drinking age

I understand the pros and cons here.

But to think nowadays those 18 years old kids aren't as mature as those years ago, a matter of fact so it is not smart to allow them drinking esp driving! So I'm not sure about that... too dangerous a mix!

For those who haven't seen how mature 18s were before 80s-90s and esp years before that; you have no idea how difference it does with those nowadays. Just ask those who are old enough to know the difference, believe me.

But at college campuses, it might be ok with me to allow students at mininum age 18 to drink but not on the streets or off-campuses - forget it big time!

I fear that if they lower the drinking age, then it would easily get more ppl to drink...not to mention more car accidents and such.

Sorry to say, but I'm more comfortable with the current law we have now. It's just more protective that way.

I, too, agree with lowering the drinking age. They say at 21, you're mature than being at 18. Well, guess what? That's full of crock. It doesn't matter how old you are. There are 21 years olds out there who are also immature and there's also some mature 18 year olds out there as well. If you are to drink, you just have to be responsible about it. Maturity comes in play when you drink responsibly.

I agree with you and vampy. I used to drink and drunk when I was 16 and 20. My body weren't ready for alcohol. I was so immature. I have a friend's widow boyfriend died of car accident cause by driving and drunk at age 17. And other age 19 man died cause by hit the train while he drunk.

I am comfortable with age 21 over and know how to handle the responsible. I don't think 18 need to be legal in USA. It's common to everyone with driving and drunk cause brain injury and die. Also Misbehave, Battery, and disorder conduct.

Anyone look at the stats for those under the age of 21 arrested every year for underage consumption? Obviously, raising the drinking age back to 21 didn't curtail the number of people under the age of 21 that continue to drink.

That may be true, dead money, but to be equally pragmatic, if a person that young slams into my vehicle after drinking way more than he or she should have, AND WE BOTH LIVE, do most people that age have enough money to stand being sued for every cent they and their parents have? The guy who hit me New Year's Day, I have to say, I very quickly cleaned him up and his insurance company even paid for the rental car. If you can afford to drink and drive, you can afford to pay ALL the consequences. That $4.50 glass of beer just went up, costing well over
$15,000 USD: Was it worth it?

whats to say a 40-year old bum pandhandling his way driving a 1978 winnebago hits you the same way a "young person" did? You'd probaly get the same amount. Its not an issue on "how much can i get in court" to me here. If you can vote, have sex legally and enlist in the military, that should be proof that you can handle the responsibilities of consuming alcohol.

Back