College interpreter

This guy is the Academic Advisor for students registered with Disability Services :roll: I will need to find someone else, possibly a dean...I dont know.

oh my.... what a huge conflict of interest... very icky.

yea I guess you'll have to go above - Dean of Student Affairs or Office of Vice President.

yes - it's just for documentation purpose. They got the letter from my audiologist and... I can't remember who else. It's been quite a long time since I graduated from college :lol:

Audiogram is just a proof of your hearing disability but they are not legally qualified to make an assessment on what you can do or can't do based on audiogram.

Ok just making sure :) I thought it was odd!

I know my audiologist will write that I need an interpreter, she has been my doctor since I was dignosed at age 6!

Your dad is going with you for meeting tomorrow, correct?

no no - you are not calling to talk about disability support. You are calling to make a complaint because of his unprofessional conduct.

Director of Disability Support Service has a boss but I don't know exactly who he answers to.
Dean of student services?

The meeting is the 28th, Ill be going alone as my dad will be away on business and Boyfriend will be working :(
You should have an interpreter present at all meetings.

Yes its possible...Ill have to look into appropriate person to speak to! I feel like the school kinda hates me because I need an interpreter :tears:
If that's their attitude, THEY are wrong! You are not wrong at all. You are doing the right thing. :hug:

If that's their attitude, THEY are wrong! You are not wrong at all. You are doing the right thing. :hug:

Thanks REBA! It would make my life SO much easier to have interpreter at my meetings! But I dont think they will get one before even approving me for one...

Thanks REBA! It would make my life SO much easier to have interpreter at my meetings! But I dont think they will get one before even approving me for one...
If you request an interpreter for your meetings, they are supposed to provide one. Your request for an interpreter at administrative meetings is separate from your request for a classroom interpreter.

Some examples:

The college graduation ceremony. Suppose there are no deaf graduates but the parents of one of the graduates is deaf. If they request in advance the need for an interpreter, they should get one for the ceremony.

The college holds a seminar open to the public to explain new financial aid options for potential students. A potential student makes a timely request for an interpreter for the seminar. The college should honor that request.

A business uses college facilities for annual employee training. One of the trainees is deaf. The college provides an interpreter.

The college dental school provides services to the public. One of the patients is deaf but not a student at the college. If the patient makes an advance request for an interpreter, the college provides one.

If you request an interpreter for your meetings, they are supposed to provide one. Your request for an interpreter at administrative meetings is separate from your request for a classroom interpreter.

Some examples:

The college graduation ceremony. Suppose there are no deaf graduates but the parents of one of the graduates is deaf. If they request in advance the need for an interpreter, they should get one for the ceremony.

The college holds a seminar open to the public to explain new financial aid options for potential students. A potential student makes a timely request for an interpreter for the seminar. The college should honor that request.

A business uses college facilities for annual employee training. One of the trainees is deaf. The college provides an interpreter.

The college dental school provides services to the public. One of the patients is deaf but not a student at the college. If the patient makes an advance request for an interpreter, the college provides one.

:ty: this is very good to know! thank you! I will have to rember this for next time, For the next meeting Ill to what I can with lip reading (its in a small office just two of us).

I know I will be getting an interpreter at my Doctor appointment the 26th :)

The meeting is the 28th, Ill be going alone as my dad will be away on business and Boyfriend will be working :(

:ty: this is very good to know! thank you! I will have to rember this for next time, For the next meeting Ill to what I can with lip reading (its in a small office just two of us).

I know I will be getting an interpreter at my Doctor appointment the 26th :)

small or big meeting - it doesn't matter. Your post below -

there you go. You WANT a terp for your meeting on 28th. So tell him that you need one. His job is to accommodate you, not other way around.

If he's giving you hard time, reply back with CC to his boss (Dean of Student Service or Dean of Academic Affair or Office of Vice President or whoever) and remind him of your rights regarding ADA laws and your college's accommodation & nondiscrimination policies.

I know this is scary and frustrating especially since you're probably used to having your dad to do everything for you but you know you're an adult now and you're in college. Try to handle it yourself and stand your ground. When you win this, you'll feel a great sense of independence and empowerment. good luck :)

small or big meeting - it doesn't matter. Your post below -

there you go. You WANT a terp for your meeting on 28th. So tell him that you need one. His job is to accommodate you. Not other way around.

If he's giving you hard time, reply back with CC to his boss (Dean of Student Service or Dean of Academic Affair or Office of Vice President or whoever) and remind him of your rights regarding ADA laws and your college's accommodation & nondiscrimination policies.

Right! So should I contact him directly regarding an interpreter at the meeting?

Im just feel in tight spot with them, they already made me feel very uncomfortable :Oops:

I know this is scary and frustrating especially since you're probably used to having your dad to do everything for you but you know you're an adult now and you're in college. Try to handle it yourself and stand your ground. When you win this, you'll feel a great sense of independence and empowerment. good luck :)

You are kinda right, I mean my dad never helped much regarding services and such but ive always had help (mom, friends, etc. ).

I also try to be nice, but I have to admit I can get a bit defensive which is not good! So im either too nice and get stepped on or come off too strong and come off as a bitch :|

Right! So should I contact him directly regarding an interpreter at the meeting?

Im just feel in tight spot with them, they already made me feel very uncomfortable :Oops:

you're not in a tight spot at all! you have plenty of time to notify them and they have plenty of time to arrange a terp for you. They will be in a tight spot if they failed to do their job properly and then it will be your job to make them very uncomfortable because they're a few steps away from legal minefield :lol:

You are kinda right, I mean my dad never helped much regarding services and such but ive always had help (mom, friends, etc. ).

I also try to be nice, but I have to admit I can get a bit defensive which is not good! So im either too nice and get stepped on or come off too strong and come off as a bitch :|

yea I did sense that you have had somebody to help you all the time and that's ok. It's common. I was same too. But once I hit college, I started handling everything on my own.

At one point in your life especially when dealing with discrimination cases or something like this... you'll eventually develop a finer skill to handle it like a professional. In fact - you can be both nice and strong :)

WOW.. This is upsetting! Colleges should be able to WANT to give you a good education, even if it means getting you an interpreter. If i were you, I would copy off some proofs from the ADA site about having an interpreter for schools, etc. That's what I did when I needed to get an qualified interpreter.. I'm pretty good at researching stuff.

take a look at this link from NAD (National Association of the Deaf) ::

State and Local Colleges and Universities | National Association of the Deaf

Maybe you can find something on there. But what I found out that section 504 also goes with college education. And I've been scanning through their education statements or however you would want to call it. I wrote this down in my little notebook but copied off of their site. Here's what I wrote down:

*Failure to provide a qualified interpreter or other auxiliary aids or services for a deaf or hard of hearing student/parent under these circumstances would be described as a discriminatory practice.

*The office for civil rights also determined that sign language interpreters permits deaf people to participate meaningfully in Federally assisted programs. It has also ruled that public school systems (as well for colleges) must give access to extracurricular programs and must give access when they offer services to parents as well as to students.

i don't know if this is much but I hope it helps :)

WOW.. This is upsetting! Colleges should be able to WANT to give you a good education, even if it means getting you an interpreter. If i were you, I would copy off some proofs from the ADA site about having an interpreter for schools, etc. That's what I did when I needed to get an qualified interpreter.. I'm pretty good at researching stuff.

take a look at this link from NAD (National Association of the Deaf) ::

State and Local Colleges and Universities | National Association of the Deaf

Maybe you can find something on there. But what I found out that section 504 also goes with college education. And I've been scanning through their education statements or however you would want to call it. I wrote this down in my little notebook but copied off of their site. Here's what I wrote down:

*Failure to provide a qualified interpreter or other auxiliary aids or services for a deaf or hard of hearing student/parent under these circumstances would be described as a discriminatory practice.

*The office for civil rights also determined that sign language interpreters permits deaf people to participate meaningfully in Federally assisted programs. It has also ruled that public school systems (as well for colleges) must give access to extracurricular programs and must give access when they offer services to parents as well as to students.

i don't know if this is much but I hope it helps :)

THANK YOU SO MUCH COOLGIRlSPYER90! :ty::ty::ty:

So ill be starting college (part time) in Fall, I already spoke to the college Disability Support Services a number of times. I am not happy with them. First few times I went they told me I will get all my services, and that a terp will not be a problem since they had them before for other Deaf students before me. The last time I went though he told he he wanted me to try to use FM system first--but my hearing is not good enought to get benifit from thr FM system and I know I need an interpreter.

I told him the FM will not work for me. He said "well this is college you need to be dependant on yourself and no one else, not an interpreter". I was shocked! I said "excuse me?" in disbelieve, then he went on saying "people with glasses would be better off using their real eyes and people with canes would be better not using a cane"...I told him that is not true if people need that assistance.

I left crying, I felt hurt and disrespected. I called dad and told him school might try to fight me for an interpreter. He reassured me that I will get interpreter or he will take to court. I do not think school is dumb enough to deny an interpreter because this is first year it is a four year college and dosent want bad publicity. I know they dont want to give me an interpreter because it cost a lot of money--more than my tuition and everything. But without an interpreter I will have no idea whats going on in class and would fail :(

I am going back the 28th to make sure everything is set up, They are requiring more autiograms and a letter from my doctor stating I need an interpreter.

I am still upset about what he said though...this is the head of disability support services...ironic.

This is someone I would like to have in a room for about 10 minutes!

It is not up to him to tell you what services you need. It is up to him to provide the services you request. This guy is a total ass.

Tell him that you will be happy to file a complaint with the DOJ regarding his behavior, and refer him to the suit the grad student filed against another college for just this type of problem and won.

PM me if you need assistance with this.

This is someone I would like to have in a room for about 10 minutes!

It is not up to him to tell you what services you need. It is up to him to provide the services you request. This guy is a total ass.

Tell him that you will be happy to file a complaint with the DOJ regarding his behavior, and refer him to the suit the grad student filed against another college for just this type of problem and won.

PM me if you need assistance with this.

Thanks Jillio! I am thinking about reporting him to the school, I was at a loss when I was told there is no one above him in his department...so Im guessing ill have to write a strongly worded letter to the Dean or the President of the college!

Back