Cochlear recalls Nucleus CI500

Your reason for editing was to add that last quote and sentence :hmm:

Ok then.

That's correct. It was not there before. (And you're trolling at this point if you seriously want to pick on that.)

Also, I'm not spreading any untruths. I acknowledged the fact that there is a range of what is audible for some profoundly deaf individuals. I never said they can't hear anything. In addition, I stated in most cases... I never said all. Perhaps if you had read my posts in this thread in there entirety, you
would have picked up on that.

There is no disagreement here AlleyCat. I also have no problem with the fact that you chose not to be implanted even though you qualify. I respect the right to choose and don't place any value judgements on others.

I do get that. You still can't say, though, "A person who gets a CI does not benefit from HA's". It's an untruth, no matter how you want to twist that. A re-phrasing of that would have been a better choice.

See above in red.

In all my visits to the audi and the CI evals never once was there info given on how I can learn ASL where classes were given or how to meet people who communicate in ASL. So maybe you do have a bit of a point.

To a born deaf person being asked numerous times about CI by people I can see how you would feel pressured. I don't know the details of your experiences but I think it is just that we look at it different. To you who has a support system of people who knows other deaf people and is a part of the culture then it is likely considered harrassment but for the late deafened and hearing parents who know no one that knows ASL then it is often looked at as the "miracle cure".

I had zero support of the deaf community until this year. The last time anyone pressured me was several years ago and that was because I made it very clear I'm not interested and don't want to get one ever.

The pressure was like this: "why don't you get one? life would be soooooooo much better! you could hear the birds in the trees. I don't understand why you don't want to hear better. look, here's a youtube video of this baby hearing sound for the first time! don't you want to have the same miracle? do you really want to be deaf? here are some pamphlets, read them."

Interest would be: "oh, I had heard about this CI thing - even saw that youtube video of a baby hearing sound for the first time with the CIs. What do you think about CIs?"

In all my visits to the audi and the CI evals never once was there info given on how I can learn ASL where classes were given or how to meet people who communicate in ASL. So maybe you do have a bit of a point.

Of course CI center don't deal with ASL. CI is to HEAR therefore CI users have to use voice and listen to the SOUND.

I went to the CI center and no one provides an interpreter. LOL.

I had zero support of the deaf community until this year. The last time anyone pressured me was several years ago and that was because I made it very clear I'm not interested and don't want to get one ever.

The pressure was like this: "why don't you get one? life would be soooooooo much better! you could hear the birds in the trees. I don't understand why you don't want to hear better. look, here's a youtube video of this baby hearing sound for the first time! don't you want to have the same miracle? do you really want to be deaf? here are some pamphlets, read them."

Interest would be: "oh, I had heard about this CI thing - even saw that youtube video of a baby hearing sound for the first time with the CIs. What do you think about CIs?"

Yes yes yes.. everything what you just said is the same for me that everyone keeps asking me why didn't I get a CI. They heard me using my voice in a few words they thought if I got CI then I can speak normally. :roll: no kidding! I hate hate that when people ASKED " why didn't you get a CI." it is pretty annoying!

See above in red.

I am most certainly not trolling AlleyCat. I saw what you posted, I didn't have a chance to respond because I was taking care of some things at school. I go to respond 45 minutes later and yes, you did add the quote and your response. However, you also removed a line at the top of your post.

You are ignoring the fact that I agree with what you said. There are varying levels of benefit with hearing aids- I've stated that before.

There is no disagreement.

Witnessing it is not the same as experiencing it. The parents are experiencing something different from what the child is experiencing.

Can we all just center ourselves again, and stop with all the animosity?

We don't all have to agree. No one agrees on everything in life. There are always going to be different experiences and different truths.

Can we all just center ourselves again, and stop with all the animosity?

We don't all have to agree. No one agrees on everything in life. There are always going to be different experiences and different truths.

Why don't you try demonstrating that first to me before you preach such thing again and again and again? It's tiresome.

But I think it's in your best interest to listen to our experiences rather than talking about yours. I'm sorry but your "experience" doesn't hold much weight because:

1. you're not deaf
2. you're experiencing it vicariously thru your deaf child
3. you don't know nothing yet since your child is just a kid. wait till he gets older and guess what? we're a grown-up and we know it all.

Why don't you try demonstrating that first to me before you preach such thing again and again and again? It's tiresome.

But I think it's in your best interest to listen to our experiences rather than talking about yours. I'm sorry but your "experience" doesn't hold much weight because:

1. you're not deaf
2. you're experiencing it vicariously thru your deaf child
3. you don't know nothing yet since your child is just a kid. wait till he gets older and guess what? we're a grown-up and we know it all.

1) I'm not preaching to anyone.
2) This thread is getting out of control, and it would serve everyone well to try and bring it down a notch. If you'll note I stated, "can't we all center ourselves again..." I did not state, "you all need to center yourselves."
3)I'm not experiencing anything vicariously through my child. You don't even know how old my son is. There is also a difference in experience between someone who just goes along for the ride vs. Actively searching, researching, discussing, and experiencing what it all means.

I'm not just along for the ride. I'm an active participant and have been since day 1.

1) I'm not preaching to anyone.
2) This thread is getting out of control, and it would serve everyone well to try and bring it down a notch. If you'll note I stated, "can't we all center ourselves again..." I did not state, "you all need to center yourselves."
Oh no no you don't. You don't get to say that when you don't follow what you preached.

3)I'm not experiencing anything vicariously through my child. You don't even know how old my son is. There is also a difference in experience between someone who just goes along for the ride vs. Actively searching, researching, discussing, and experiencing what it all means.

I'm not just along for the ride. I'm an active participant and have been since day 1.
oh? actively searching, researching, discussing, and experiencing? We've lived thru it... We're the living proof of it. Correct me if I'm wrong - your son is only 7 years old... You ain't seen nothing yet! It barely started! We've already went thru it and most of us are over 25 years old. Listening to us can contribute to your research so that your son can grow up as a self-sufficient Deaf not having to depend on others so why are you being stubborn and combative with us??????????

Based on your attitude and stubbornness... I think I can safely conclude beyond reasonable doubt that you are actively searching and researching to ensure that your son won't go thru what we went thru as a Deaf person because living in silence is sad and terrible and hearing society is too cruel. Better Oral Deaf than deaf Deaf, right? Admit it. Tell me the truth.

because living in silence is sad and terrible and hearing society is too cruel. Better Oral Deaf than deaf Deaf, right? Admit it. Tell me the truth.

The above is the only part of that ridiculous, outlandish post that I'm going to respond to.

The truth? No. Oral Deaf is not better than Deaf. Being Deaf is not better than an Oral Deaf. Living in silence is living, not better than living with access to sound. Living with access to sound is not better than silence, it is living. I value life. Each and every little bit of it. I appreciate and value diversity.

same for parents with a hearing child. right? :)
Any knowledge about deafness is valuable, but don't you think it's more relevant for parents with a deaf child than for parents with a child that can hear...

What is your point?

Witnessing it is not the same as experiencing it. The parents are experiencing something different from what the child is experiencing.
Very true.. Just like a Deaf person that cannot hear is witnessing a child with CI. It does not know the experience of that child

But they feel that they can superimpose their deaf life on top of the life of the deaf child that can hear..

Very true.. Just like a Deaf person that cannot hear is witnessing a child with CI. It does not know the experience of that child

But they feel that they can superimpose their deaf life on top of the life of the deaf child that can hear..

Well, like the saying, it takes one to know.

A deaf person who has never heard a sound may not know what it's like to be an implanted child or even what it's like to hear but they do know what it's like to grow up deaf, and the difficulties of discrimination and close-mindedness of those who judge you for your deafness and for wearing a visible auditory device. They know this on a personal intimate level in a way you never will.

So, yes, you know Lotte better than me. No doubt, no argument. but I know what it's like to be deaf better than you and in that sense, I do relate to your child in a way you never can.

how well does your child speak, by the way?

A deaf person who has never heard a sound may not know what it's like to be an implanted child or even what it's like to hear but they do know what it's like to grow up deaf, and the difficulties of discrimination and close-mindedness of those who judge you for your deafness and for wearing a visible auditory device. They know this on a personal intimate level in a way you never will.

So, yes, you know Lotte better than me. No doubt, no argument. but I know what it's like to be deaf better than you and in that sense, I do relate to your child in a way you never can.

yep. same ole' same ole' failed argument.

technology changes but people don't.

Can you kindly link me to any story like above?

To me - that sounds like a sad pathetic attempt to create a fictitious sob story but do feel free to link me a story that backs your claim.

Oh no no you don't. You don't get to say that when you don't follow what you preached.

oh? actively searching, researching, discussing, and experiencing? We've lived thru it... We're the living proof of it. Correct me if I'm wrong - your son is only 7 years old... You ain't seen nothing yet! It barely started! We've already went thru it and most of us are over 25 years old. Listening to us can contribute to your research so that your son can grow up as a self-sufficient Deaf not having to depend on others so why are you being stubborn and combative with us??????????

Based on your attitude and stubbornness... I think I can safely conclude beyond reasonable doubt that you are actively searching and researching to ensure that your son won't go thru what we went thru as a Deaf person because living in silence is sad and terrible and hearing society is too cruel. Better Oral Deaf than deaf Deaf, right? Admit it. Tell me the truth.

Maybe I missed something, but doesn't this kid sign? I didn't think he was oral. And he doesn't have an implant either.

I'm really confused.

A deaf child growing up with CI that can hear, listning to sounds all day, chatting with her friend, singing songs by herself, listen in in conversations that do not involve her.... How does a deaf person relate to that....

She speaks well... Very well..
Did you ever visit her blog and look at her videos?

Back