Cochlear recalls Nucleus CI500

How dumb is this?

I know what it is like to be hearing because I have lived with two hearing children. Other hearing people do not understand what hearing issues my children go through. I am the parent and I know what it is like!

How dumb is this?

I know what it is like to be hearing because I have lived with two hearing children. Other hearing people do not understand what hearing issues my children go through. I am the parent and I know what it is like!

I know! Some of those issues is that they can be bothered by loud noises and rude sounds. There's never any break from the endless noise around them.

Boy, they can get mad if you turn on the sound too loud when you want to listen to music.

I know! Some of those issues is that they can be bothered by loud noises and rude sounds. There's never any break from the endless noise around them.

Boy, they can get mad if you turn on the sound too loud when you want to listen to music.

My point is that no matter how much my children will share with me as hearing people, I will never ever know what it is like to live life as a hearing person.

The same goes for hearing parents of deaf children. Sure they can have some idea but there are so many things that many deaf/hoh experience that are not obvious to hearing people. Those are the issues that we can totally relate to.

My point is that no matter how much my children will share with me as hearing people, I will never ever know what it is like to live life as a hearing person.

The same goes for hearing parents of deaf children. Sure they can have some idea but there are so many things that many deaf/hoh experience that are not obvious to hearing people. Those are the issues that we can totally relate to.

Exactly. I'm sure the hearing posters will roll their eyes at my post because I don't know what's it like to be hearing just as they do not know what it is like to be deaf.

As for the issues that Deaf faces, this is something the hearing (not even jillio and she admits it) will never understand perfectly and for many it never occurs to them things like getting airline tickets or other things that they take for granted do not come naturally for the deaf.

Here's one example: I had never spoken on the phone before and I had to learn a lot of stuff that's easy for the hearing as they've been using phones all their lives. Hearing couldn't believe I didn't know how to use a cell phone or Vent for World of Warcraft at my age.

Now you... AGB's goal was to make the deaf kids forget that they are deaf by making them "speak".
Your goal is to make your deaf daughter forgot that she is deaf by making her "hear".
Are you for real.? Just throwing accusations around to parents with deaf children without any foundation... bit like slogans....
That kind of behaviour works on the principle that "when you say something on a message board, and no-one says otherwise within 50 minutes, it becomes the truth... This is how you make up your world...

Let me quote you: "I was wondering because the chance of deaf people getting deaf children in just a bit higher than with hearing people due to genetics, but still pretty small. Most deaf children are born from hearing parents... ". That is very similiar to what AGB was saying in his paper. You two are trying to put fear in hearing people to turn against deaf people. I am sick of your type who think that you guys are helping the deaf kids but actually are making things worse for the deaf kids.
That is not an opinion, that's fact... So anyone who knows his/her stuff will state that, and therefore according to you, will agree with AGB..

That is not an opinion, that's fact... So anyone who knows his/her stuff will state that, and therefore according to you, will agree with AGB..

I don't agree with AGB and never will. Therefore, I don't agree with you.

What is the fact? The "I am sick of your type who think that you guys are helping the deaf kids but actually are making things worse for the deaf kids." being a fact? I agree with you in that case.

What is the fact? The "I am sick of your type who think that you guys are helping the deaf kids but actually are making things worse for the deaf kids." being a fact? I agree with you in that case.
Trolling and insulting....
You deliberately neglect the facts, make some up, and then use them to insult parents of deaf children...

Very true.. Just like a Deaf person that cannot hear is witnessing a child with CI. It does not know the experience of that child

But they feel that they can superimpose their deaf life on top of the life of the deaf child that can hear..

Look for any thread about "school system", "my parents treated me like hearing", "found Deaf culture", "saved by Deaf culture" and you will get the general idea..

Btw... The sob-stories are not coming from the parents who made the choice to let their deaf child hear....

Ok, 2 things: I'm sorry you think our experiences growing up mainstreamed are nothing more than sob stories to you. I actually thought you were a pretty decent guy despite that we have differing views but now, I'm seeing that you have a rather disdainful and unsympathetic view of those who were mainstreamed and suffered for it.

Secondly, when we recounted our "sob stories" - we did not do so with the intention of superimposing our lives on those who can hear with CIs. We did so to share our stories, period.

I haven't visited your blog. Will do.

Like I said before, a deaf person may not know what it's like to be implanted but they do know what it's like to be deaf. Your child may be able to hear with her implant but she's still deaf.

And by the way, not even you can relate to what it's like to be deaf or implanted either.

You can think it's silly of any deaf person who is not implanted to have any idea what it's like to be a deaf child. Lotte can hear but she's still deaf. You can argue and disagree all you want but you can't argue that fundamental undeniable truth.

Good to see you back again..

Ok, 2 things: I'm sorry you think our experiences growing up mainstreamed are nothing more than sob stories to you. I actually thought you were a pretty decent guy despite that we have differing views but now, I'm seeing that you have a rather disdainful and unsympathetic view of those who were mainstreamed and suffered for it.
The sob-story remark didn't start with me... I just bounced it back to the original poster who used the words to provoke.... Have a look..
?.........
To me - that sounds like a sad pathetic attempt to create a fictitious sob story but do feel free to link me a story that backs your claim.
And you are wrong about the view I have towards the deaf people that suffered. Your conclusion can be regarded as an insult, but fine, I'll regard it as a provocation. Because I have read the stories by Harlan Lane and others about the injustice and suffering of the Deaf.. .... I do not wish that to anyone...
Secondly, when we recounted our "sob stories" - we did not do so with the intention of superimposing our lives on those who can hear with CIs. We did so to share our stories, period.
Still, that experience is a big part of the decision to be pro or anti CI.. Or am I wrong?
There is a fear that deaf children will have to go through the same stuff.
However... These children can hear fine. They communicate fine with their parents. Their parents are aware of the limits of their hearing.... They are not ignored.. They are being taken care of...

I haven't visited your blog. Will do.

Like I said before, a deaf person may not know what it's like to be implanted but they do know what it's like to be deaf. Your child may be able to hear with her implant but she's still deaf.
I have asked this before.... in several threads, but I'll ask you... define "deaf".... Lotte hears her whole waking day. She doesn't hear anything between going to sleep and waking up plus the time to put her CI on.... Is she deaf? Sometimes she "hears" very well with the CI off.. have a look here... (really, take the time to read it.) The brain continues to hear even with the sound off. What Lotte red from our lips was automatically changed into sound in her brain... she heard us talking..

And by the way, not even you can relate to what it's like to be deaf or implanted either.

You can think it's silly of any deaf person who is not implanted to have any idea what it's like to be a deaf child. Lotte can hear but she's still deaf. You can argue and disagree all you want but you can't argue that fundamental undeniable truth.
You are absolutely right, BUT I have never claimed that, whereas many deaf people claim they know how it is to be Lotte..

And regarding the second part. Not silly at all.. It's impossible.
Just like it is not possible for Lotte at the moment to imagine being deaf.. She does not recall hearing nothing at all. She has always heard.
But perhaps I have a wrong picture of "deaf". So... again.... define "deaf".

Last edited:
Good to see you back again..

The sob-story remark didn't start with me... I just bounced it back to the original poster.... Have a look..

That doesn't change the fact that you called them sob stories - it's a bit childish to say "well, he said it first!" My sons used to do that...when they were little.

To trivialize and insult all mainstreamed deaf people here in order to make a barb at one person is not okay. I was really a-taken back by your calling experiences of people like me "sob stories." It was a bit of a slap in the face.

You originally said deaf people try to superimpose their lives onto deaf implanted kids and jiro said that sounds like a fictitious sob story you were making up and asked you to provide a link proving this and you provided titles of threads of deaf people recounting their stories of being mainstreamed (and by the way, the threads you mentioned, in them, they did not tell their stories to superimpose on implanted deaf kids as you originally claimed).

Lotte spends all her waking hours "hearing". I'm curious, does she like or does she handle deafness well? Meaning, when she is not wearing her CI, is she unhappy about it?

That doesn't change the fact that you called them sob stories - it's a bit childish to say "well, he said it first!" My sons used to do that...when they were little.
Very true.. So... It's OK to say it about parents of deaf children.... but if it bounces back, they you feel it as a slap in the face.... How do you think these parents feel when they read that comment..?? Or don't you care about that....
To trivialize and insult all mainstreamed deaf people here in order to make a barb at one person is not okay. I was really a-taken back by your calling experiences of people like me "sob stories." It was a bit of a slap in the face.
Jiro posts in order to provoke.. Guess he succeeded.

You originally said deaf people try to superimpose their lives onto deaf implanted kids and jiro said that sounds like a fictitious sob story you were making up and asked you to provide a link proving this and you provided titles of threads of deaf people recounting their stories of being mainstreamed (and by the way, the threads you mentioned, in them, they did not tell their stories to superimpose on implanted deaf kids as you originally claimed).
Yes.. You already said that...

Lotte spends all her waking hours "hearing". I'm curious, does she like or does she handle deafness well? Meaning, when she is not wearing her CI, is she unhappy about it?
She has no problem walking around deaf until other people get up in the morning. She will play alone, including singing and talking to dolls, who talk back. When others get up, she wants to hear and will put her CI on.. In the evening she will happily give the CI to us to hang the at the storage space, and will go to sleep..

A couple of days ago she ran home from school... One battery had gone dead, and she feared that the other would soon give up, so she ran home to change batteries ASAP..

She has no problem walking around deaf until other people get up in the morning. She will play alone, including singing and talking to dolls, who talk back. When others get up, she wants to hear and will put her CI on.. In the evening she will happily give the CI to us to hang the at the storage space, and will go to sleep..

A couple of days ago she ran home from school... One battery had gone dead, and she feared that the other would soon give up, so she ran home to change batteries ASAP..

Jiro was addressing you specifically, not all parents of deaf children, just you - he was not insulting you as a hearing parent of a deaf child, he was rolling his eyes at your statement that deaf people try to superimpose their lives on implanted kids.

You retorted by mocking childhood experiences of all mainstreamed deaf here. Not the same thing. If you want anyone to consider what you have to say on alldeaf.com...

Jiro was addressing you specifically, not all parents of deaf children, just you - he was not insulting you as a hearing parent of a deaf child, he was rolling his eyes at your statement that deaf people try to superimpose their lives on implanted kids.

You retorted by mocking childhood experiences of all mainstreamed deaf here. Not the same thing. If you want anyone to consider what you have to say on alldeaf.com...
Well written....

But you were asking about Lotte.....

Well written....

But you were asking about Lotte.....

Interesting.

Back