Cochlear recalls Nucleus CI500

Visual language is awesome...whether it be ASL, BSL, MSL, BSL... :)

but you and family members can use it with Lotte. It will be beneficial for Lotte too because once she becomes an independent adult... she can meet around with ASLers anywhere, anytime. It's always great to be a bilingual.... and even trilingual.
Quadlingual.. (Dutch, Norwegian, English, NSL)
We could.. We don't.. We might..

I wasn't aware of Norwegian Sign Language because you kept us beating around the bush about ASL :roll:
Everytime someone wrote "ASL" I treated it as Signlanguage...
No bush has been beaten.. (Even though I think he really deserves a beating.. but that's another thread..):naughty:

Quadlingual.. (Dutch, Norwegian, English, NSL)
We could.. We don't.. We might..

now that ends it all. I've got no problem with this. hell of a ride, fella! :cool2:

no..... The Chinese especially government chose ONE language which is called MANDARIN so that the entire country can communicate with each other.

not really. You're not gonna find one regular Chinese person who can understand written Chinese language very well. It takes a scholar to know it well. It is incapable of expanding its language. That's how difficult and complex Chinese language is.

There are many sign languages around the world but the exception is that ASL is pretty much the only complete language with its own syntax and grammar.

There is International Sign Language. It was used at DeafNation World and World Soccer Cup.

Jiro, not understanding your post.

Aren't there something like 90million people who use Cantonese in China instead of mandarin? When I was in hong kong and Guangzhou we had native mandarin users with us who were unable to understand Cantonese.

?? Many Chinese people are literate, not sure what you mean by "you're not gonna find one ..."?

Are you saying BSL and Auslan, LSQ, and all the other sign languages are nit real languages, just manually coded systems?

Jiro, not understanding your post.

Aren't there something like 90million people who use Cantonese in China instead of mandarin? When I was in hong kong and Guangzhou we had native mandarin users with us who were unable to understand Cantonese.
Cantonese is one of the largest dialects but Mandarin is a language that ALL chinese know.

?? Many Chinese people are literate, not sure what you mean by "you're not gonna find one ..."?
yes they're largely literate but not proficiently since Chinese language is extremely difficult. It's easy for foreigners to learn French, English, Korean, etc.... but Chinese? good luck!!!!! It's probably as difficult as Arabic language.

Are you saying BSL and Auslan, LSQ, and all the other sign languages are nit real languages, just manually coded systems?
no. whatca ya talking about, willis? That's a lousy example to use. Here's a correct example that you should be using with a bit of reading comprehension.

In America and Canada - ASL is a language that ALL deaf people can communicate with. Cued Speech, SEE, etc. are not widely used and there will be miscommunication and misunderstanding.

There are many sign languages around the world but the exception is that ASL is pretty much the only complete language with its own syntax and grammar.

I think you thought I was asking how ASL compared with see or other mces within north america. I'm asking about the statement you made I'm quoting here.

Are you saying that BSL, LSQ, Auslan, etc are not complete languages, but are manually coded forms of some corresponding spoken language?

I think you thought I was asking how ASL compared with see or other mces within north america. I'm asking about the statement you made I'm quoting here.

Are you saying that BSL, LSQ, Auslan, etc are not complete languages, but are manually coded forms of some corresponding spoken language?

I do not put BSL, LSQ, Auslan, etc with the like of Cued Speech or SEE aka manually coded forms of spoken language.

It's a sign language. period. But do feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. If BSL, LSQ, and Auslan are complete sign languages with its own syntax and grammar that meets official linguistic standard, then I'm wrong but am I?

My deaf friends from Japan said that JSL has its own syntax, etc., thus it meets the criteria of being a language...interesting enough, they do have a manually coded signing system in Japanese that follows the word order of spoken Japanese. :shock:

My deaf friends from Japan said that JSL has its own syntax, etc., thus it meets the criteria of being a language...interesting enough, they do have a manually coded signing system in Japanese that follows the word order of spoken Japanese. :shock:

My Japanese friend prefers ASL over JSL cuz he finds it much easier to communicate with. You should ask your friends what's the sign for older brother :lol:

Yeah...and a couple of my students play that game when they got caught with that sign..."but I was signing in JSL.". Hahaha. And no, it didn't fly with me...they got busted for it. :)

Most Japanese deafies are fluent in ASL, too, from what they tell me. Why? To learn English. Why can't Americans have that kind of good sense? Lol

Most Japanese deafies are fluent in ASL, too, from what they tell me. Why? To learn English. Why can't Americans have that kind of good sense? Lol

oh the humanity! We must summon Inglip for his wisdom!

My Japanese friend prefers ASL over JSL cuz he finds it much easier to communicate with. You should ask your friends what's the sign for older brother :lol:

Ha ha, I remember hearing a funny story that my MSSD English teacher told my class about two Deaf brothers from China. The big brother tried to stop the little brother from signing big brother in Chinese sign langage at a crowded American airport because he didn't want to create any misunderstandings.. Iwonder if the sign is the same as the Japanese one?

Ha ha, I remember hearing a funny story that my MSSD English teacher told my class about two Deaf brothers from China. The big brother tried to stop the little brother from signing big brother in Chinese sign langage at a crowded American airport because he didn't want to create any misunderstandings.. Iwonder if the sign is the same as the Japanese one?

looks like it's same for Taiwanese, Korean and Japanese too. Wouldn't be surprised since Asian languages share a lot of similarities.

Back