Cochlear recalls Nucleus CI500

Guys, you have to remember I am late deafened. I was just putting the question out there. Now I know! Good point about the hearing aids. Yep, When I took mine off , things were definitely quiet.

Thanks

I was born deaf and I forgot too! You arent the only one!

lol

Alone, waking up early in the morning, she can play for hours being "deaf" but even then I suspect her brain still "hears"...

By saying the brain still hears... are you stating that she "remembers" what it sounds like as she goes along with out her CI?

Bold statement. Of course they remember what it is like to be deaf.... Because they are deaf. Take off the device or when the battery dies. They can not hear with out it.

You already know that. :)
Not nessasaraly so..
Have a look here... No CI... but is she deaf?

By saying the brain still hears... are you stating that she "remembers" what it sounds like as she goes along with out her CI?
I thinks its more than remembering... Like this (from Lottes blog..)
I read about this once, where someone thought he was HOH, until when he was talking with his brother. Everything sounded normal to this person, until his brother put his hand in front of his mouth...
Suddenly, all sound stopped. Without being able to read lips, the brain was not able to create sound!

that is what it is like for me. I am not wearing my hearing aids but when I am watching the TV while the captioning is messed up, I automatically go into "hearing" mode imagining what the actors and actresses are saying.

It is not something I delibiteraly do..just something my brain does when I dont have my hearing aids on.

and I am supposedly nearly 100% deaf with the kind of dB loss I have. Sometimes I find it amazing but sad at the same time because it enabled hearing people to blame me for faking my deafness growing up.

I remember one adult CI user posting a similar experience: without her CIs on, she would look at a tea kettle whistling, and hear it, look away, and not hear it. Back and forth, the effect continued. Her brain was filling in the sound. Amazing! Hearing people do it, too: Cloggy, you recently posted a video example of how we "hear" either a bah sound or a fah sound, I think it was, depending upon the context.

Not nessasaraly so..
Have a look here... No CI... but is she deaf?

She did not actually hear her. She read her lips and remembers what her mother sounds like. Her brain "heard" her because that is how she remembers her mother talking when she had her CI on. :)

Something like another poster that became completely deaf when her children were small. And now they are older and when they talk to her she still "Hears" their child like voices. When she reads their lips. That is because of her brains remembers it that way.

Precisely..
China is a society where they speak Chinese. The Chinese are not required to learn English, even though it is nice to know and talk to the english-speaking strangers....

in case you didn't know.... there's no "Chinese" language. There are over 100 different dialects since it's a very large country. That's why there is one standardized language that government and people can use to communicate with all Chinese people - Mandarin.

Lotte doesn't know... but then again, the definition of "being deaf" is vague..
She realises she cannot hear without CI's and she's fine with that.. but she really wants to hear when around other people. Alone, waking up early in the morning, she can play for hours being "deaf" but even then I suspect her brain still "hears"...

My brain still "hears" despite being very profoundly deaf but I still had deaf needs that werent being met. That is what I feel that many people dont really understand about deaf children.

Dont know if that makes sense but anyone feel free to elaborate on that because I am having a series of brain farts right now after forgetting that children with CIs can recall what it is like to be deaf once their devices are turned off.

Cloggy, (added to this) and all parents of deaf children with CI and HA

What I think Shel is wanting you to undertand is that even tho Lotte can hear with help of CI and I'm glad about that!

What she wants you to understand is that even tho she has CI, she cannot and never will hear like normal hearing can. Those with hearing aids are in same boat, we cannot and will not hear like hearing people can..

Other thing to be aware of is that even tho we "hear", it is not same as hearing a noise ( and hearing a voice is same as noise to us) and understanding what the noise is.. (understanding speech) that is part that takes alot of effort for us.. I'm sure it's the same with Lotte.. it will take more effort on her part to follow conversation than it would for you..

It can get very frustrating for us to try to follow converstaion and when we are lost, we are only told "ohh never mind or I'll tell you later" that is very frustrating cause they tell us to try harder to follow converstaion but yet when we need little help, they will not give us the help!

What Shel is wanting is to not let your daughter go through that frustration that we all went through and still go through..

Just try to understand that she doesn't hear like you hear.. I think that is whole point we are trying to tell you.. I hope this makes it clear..

I wish you well on your raising of your daughter and I'm sure she is happy young girl and we want her to continue to be happy as she grows up..

Even tho you want her to have speech and I have no problem wth that.. They just want her to have equal peers that understands her position like no hearing person can and can learn sign language..

for all we know,, technology may not always be there and what if ( i know that is a big if but still is a big if ) CI broke and is not replaceable or repairable or etc.. Think of where she would be if she wasn't able to sign then.

Best thing to do is continue with path you are on with teaching her speech and how to listen, only add sign language now instead of future or waiting for her to want to sign. Now is best time for her to learn! Learning sign language will only add to her list of language.. not diminish them.

Last edited:
Cloggy,

What I think Shel is wanting you to undertand is that even tho Lotte can hear with help of CI and I'm glad about that!

What she wants you to understand is that even tho she has CI, she cannot and never will hear like normal hearing can. Those with hearing aids are in same boat, we cannot and will not hear like hearing people can..

Other thing to be aware of is that even tho we "hear", it is not same as hearing a noise ( and hearing a voice is same as noise to us) and understanding what the noise is.. (understanding speech) that is part that takes alot of effort for us.. I'm sure it's the same with Lotte.. it will take more effort on her part to follow conversation than it would for you..

It can get very frustrating for us to try to follow converstaion and when we are lost, we are only told "ohh never mind or I'll tell you later" that is very frustrating cause they tell us to try harder to follow converstaion but yet when we need little help, they will not give us the help!

What Shel is wanting is to not let your daughter go through that frustration that we all went through and still go through..

Just try to understand that she doesn't hear like you hear.. I think that is whole point we are trying to tell you.. I hope this makes it clear..

I wish you well on your raising of your daughter and I'm sure she is happy young girl and we want her to continue to be happy as she grows up..

Even tho you want her to have speech and I have no problem wth that.. They just want her to have equal peers that understands her position like no hearing person can and can learn sign language..

for all we know,, technology may not always be there and what if ( i know that is a big if but still is a big if ) CI broke and is not replaceable or etc.. Think of where she would be if she wasn't able to sign then.

Best thing to do is continue with path you are on with teaching her speech and how to listen, only add sign language now instead of future or waiting for her to want to sign. Now is best time for her to learn! Learning sign language will only add to her list of language.. not diminish them.

Wow! What a powerful post this is!!!

Agreed with you on all counts 100% !

in case you didn't know.... there's no "Chinese" language. There are over 100 different dialects since it's a very large country. That's why there is one standardized language that government and people can use to communicate with all Chinese people - Mandarin.
Yes your right... and I already left China behind me.. But.. do tell...

Actually... since you brought it up. You prove yourself wrong... There is a Chinese language, with over 100 difficult dialects...

Last edited:
.. more irrelevant information on China...

I have none since my post about Chinese was relevant to this thread.

There is a standardized language for deaf people and it's called ASL... not Cued Speech, SEE, or whatever the mumba jumba there is invented by hearing people.

I have none since my post about Chinese was relevant to this thread.

There is a standardized language for deaf people and it's called ASL... not Cued Speech, SEE, or whatever the mumba jumba there is invented by hearing people.

But the funny thing is that "these" hearing people invented them to be used as teaching tools and then somehow it got to the point where people started replacing natural languages with them which caused all these problems.

Irrelevant, because the Chinese language was a metafor for spoken language..

No it's not irelevent. you are being defensive again. Please think about this..

The point he is making is that Chinese has hundreds of dialects but they choose one dialects so they can understand each other..

same with sign language. Sign language is not based on English. It is its own language.. Others that was invented was to try to teach english to deaf kids using language they understand which is ASL..

If you want to teach them english do so under english.

but if you want to teach sign language, teach it as ASL as it is it's own language..

Lets put it this way..

you are teaching someone from American your mother langugage ( not sure what it is) would you add your language to English language and change it around so teach them your language? I don't think so, cause that would confuse them even more!

Teach the language as they stand on their own apart from each other..

Back