Cochlear Implants Decrease Your IQ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeezaC

Reaction score
I must DISAGREE somebody who said that getting cochlear implants can decrease the IQ of a person. for example, If I were to get one, it would probably help me so much to improve my speech, the way I talk, also would help understand what people are saying. It can also improve to understand and change grammar. You never know once when you get cochlear implants into your ear, it's like rediscovering your life anew. I was told by my therapist recently that I could be a good candidate to get cochlear implants because I used to wear hearing aids, I was able to "identify" what kind of sounds I liked and wanted to hear out there. I have a hearing daughter who is almost 2 in February of next year I wasn't able to experience to hear her cry, coo, or whatever; or I can't hear my family talk or laugh I can't participate into a conversation I want to be a part of it. I have led an very isolated, sheltered life because of this double disability I grew up being deaf and in a wheelchair. I am from a hearing family, I was the only deaf in my family; I have two older sisters, they both can sign pretty good but we don't talk very often. Who knows.

For those who wants to get cochlear implants, LET THEM BE, let them decide, and let them experience the quality of having a cochlear surgically embedded inside the ear. If you (anti-cochlear implants) don't like what the pros want to do with their life, shut it, leave them alone, never put down on them.

By the way, Bear, CONGRATULATIONS with your getting cochlear implants, YOU RULE!!! Let me know when it will happen!!

Now I've said my two cents here.

LeezaC

I must DISAGREE somebody who said that getting cochlear implants can decrease the IQ of a person. for example, If I were to get one, it would probably help me so much to improve my speech, the way I talk, also would help understand what people are saying. It can also improve to understand and change grammar. You never know once when you get cochlear implants into your ear, it's like rediscovering your life anew. I was told by my therapist recently that I could be a good candidate to get cochlear implants because I used to wear hearing aids, I was able to "identify" what kind of sounds I liked and wanted to hear out there. I have a hearing daughter who is almost 2 in February of next year I wasn't able to experience to hear her cry, coo, or whatever; or I can't hear my family talk or laugh I can't participate into a conversation I want to be a part of it. I have led an very isolated, sheltered life because of this double disability I grew up being deaf and in a wheelchair. I am from a hearing family, I was the only deaf in my family; I have two older sisters, they both can sign pretty good but we don't talk very often. Who knows.

For those who wants to get cochlear implants, LET THEM BE, let them decide, and let them experience the quality of having a cochlear surgically embedded inside the ear. If you (anti-cochlear implants) don't like what the pros want to do with their life, shut it, leave them alone, never put down on them.

By the way, Bear, CONGRATULATIONS with your getting cochlear implants, YOU RULE!!! Let me know when it will happen!!

Now I've said my two cents here.

LeezaC

No kidding... I got CI and little declining of IQ because I don't doing well at school for one year after got failed in 5th grade class at elementary school. You just nothing to know about few side effect with CI until you get CI (Confirmed) then you will feel like little different from regular IQ.

Additional, there's several cases that children are went retard after implant, just depends on children.

All of children aren't same, some are high and less risk.

Finally, I disagree with you but CI don't make improving your speech itself and you need offers to get speech therapy to improving the oral language, or go to oral language school.

Additional, there's several cases that children are went retard after implant, just depends on children.

Finally, I disagree with you but CI don't make improving your speech itself and you need offers to get speech therapy to improving the oral language, or go to oral language school.

I dont understand you.. some days you are against CI.... some days you are for CI.... whats going on with you???

I dont understand you.. some days you are against CI.... some days you are for CI.... whats going on with you???

I'm not against or support CI... There's pros and cons for CI...

IQ is not related to hearing or not hearing. However, capabilities might very well be related.
If you're a mouron, having CI will probably not do anything for you since it requires a lot of work to be able to use CI.
If you're smart, you'll be able to get the most out of CI.

I believe that when you feel isolated within your family due to the fact that you are the only one hearing, CI - when you will be able to use it - will put you "inside". There are several examples on AllDeaf that have shown this.
In that case, CI will increase social IQ. When you can hear & participate with other hearing friends & family, this will have a huge effect..

I think you know it is not true that CI can make deaf children retarded.... NO way... it is home enivironement that are not helping children with CI... I had known friends with CI.. they are not retarded at all,,, they all are smart,,, You make story up,, NO PROVEN FACT!!!!,

Show me a proof.. give me link of a proof that CI can decrease IQ level,,, I do believe you are wrong...

I think you know it is not true that CI can make deaf children retarded.... NO way... it is home enivironement that are not helping children with CI... I had known friends with CI.. they are not retarded at all,,, they all are smart,,, You make story up,, NO PROVEN FACT!!!!,

Show me a proof.. give me link of a proof that CI can decrease IQ level,,, I do believe you are wrong...

Do you think that I'm wrong? Ask Sweetheart or see your local ENT then doctor will explain about risk to get CI for children, not ALL children have same system in brain or other organs. There's no news in internet and I got information from local ENT, also my parent know about risk with CI and they are concerned about me. I'm promise that I got it, no kidding or go ahead to not believe me about risk with CI. Let you to not believe or call me an wrong.

IQ is not related to hearing or not hearing. However, capabilities might very well be related.
If you're a mouron, having CI will probably not do anything for you since it requires a lot of work to be able to use CI.
If you're smart, you'll be able to get the most out of CI.

I believe that when you feel isolated within your family due to the fact that you are the only one hearing, CI - when you will be able to use it - will put you "inside". There are several examples on AllDeaf that have shown this.
In that case, CI will increase social IQ. When you can hear & participate with other hearing friends & family, this will have a huge effect..

Well, Your daughter got CI at early age then she will doing well when start school in few years later (For our state, children are required start Kindergraduation when they will be 5 years old by end of December) but not know about in Norway. For me, I got CI in late age with alot of education then it was affect some because I was feel weak to start learn with CI but I just got usually in after 1 month or so, that can be vary in other children. Not just for your daughter but several children got retard after implanted since brain or auditory nerve seems sensitive to magnet related, also some children have bad meningistis too but most children have different risk and doctor is just check to make sure if CI would be safe for their head.

Anything could happen with cochlear implants. You could get better. You could get worse.

I've had college professors tell me that my grammar and spelling is better than the rest of the class... the HEARING class. Yep, it's true. Oh, I forgot... I don't wear CI.

I knew a guy who got CI during the summer before his second year here at NTID. When he got back, he assumed that he was "like" a hearing person and no longer needed tutoring or help with his English. He also took it for granted and just went with the flow thinking that he was now "hearing". He would do his homework, quizzes, and tests without trying. Here's what he told me... "Now that I have CI, I don't have to think harder like every other deaf person. I just 'do it' and I'll be fine like every other hearing person."

Well, he ended up failing his classes and got suspended from RIT for a year.

On the other hand, I knew a gal who got CI and still resumed her identity as being deaf. She continued to work hard on everything as she always did before she got CI. She also had to work harder on her speech part since she could now hear better.

Do you think that I'm wrong? Ask Sweetheart or see your local ENT then doctor will explain about risk to get CI for children, not ALL children have same system in brain or other organs. There's no news in internet and I got information from local ENT, also my parent know about risk with CI and they are concerned about me. I'm promise that I got it, no kidding or go ahead to not believe me about risk with CI. Let you to not believe or call me an wrong.

No..it has nothing to do with brain..... CI is like internal hearing aids.. only better than HA.... hearing has nothing to do with brain... lots of CI'ers are very smarter than you think.... i had talked to them..they are all intelligent...

No..it has nothing to do with brain..... CI is like internal hearing aids.. only better than HA.... hearing has nothing to do with brain... lots of CI'ers are very smarter than you think.... i had talked to them..they are all intelligent...

That's fine for not believe what I said then ask Sweetheart or call local ENT and doctor can explain about risk with CI. I know about issues with CI but you don't get CI or never visit ENT.

I'm not going argue with you then welcome to ignore list for not respect my opinion, also not respect to doctor's experiment. :bye:

Anything could happen with cochlear implants. You could get better. You could get worse.

I've had college professors tell me that my grammar and spelling is better than the rest of the class... the HEARING class. Yep, it's true. Oh, I forgot... I don't wear CI.

I knew a guy who got CI during the summer before his second year here at NTID. When he got back, he assumed that he was "like" a hearing person and no longer needed tutoring or help with his English. He also took it for granted and just went with the flow thinking that he was now "hearing". He would do his homework, quizzes, and tests without trying. Here's what he told me... "Now that I have CI, I don't have to think harder like every other deaf person. I just 'do it' and I'll be fine like every other hearing person."

Well, he ended up failing his classes and got suspended from RIT for a year.

On the other hand, I knew a gal who got CI and still resumed her identity as being deaf. She continued to work hard on everything as she always did before she got CI. She also had to work harder on her speech part since she could now hear better.

I agree with you.

Hmmm...that could explain why I seem to have more blonde moments since I got my CI over two years ago :giggle: :cool:

I can't believe people are actually debating this. Can anyone who believes there is something in it provide details of a study that indicates this is the case?

Anyway here's an article about two studies that show that children's IQ after a cochlear implant is fine. Deafness Research UK : News : Children with cochlear implants don't suffer at school

Now where did I put my cochlear implant? My memory must be going.....

Volcomskatz, The only statement you made that was remotely correct was the when you mentioned maningitus, there is an incresaed risk. For the first month or so following surgery, the risk is elevated. Following that, the risk is lowered. It is just a tiny bit higher than someone without a C.I.
The month or two following surgery is risker than the rest because the implant is new to your body. There is a chance your body may reconnize that there is a foriegn object in your head and attack it. The longer you go without getting meningitus, the smaller the risk of getting it.

As far as I.Q. is concerned, I do not see how a CI can affect your intelligence. The CI never contacts your brain. Nothing ever goes through the skull. The entire implant stays between the skull and skin, with the exception of the wire that goes into your cochlea. And that does not go through your skull. A hole is drill into the mastoid bone and the wire is threaded through that. It then goes into your cochlea.
As far as someone being made "retarded". That is flat out wrong. There is not a single documented case of someone reciving brain damage from a CI. Are there risks? Of course. But brain damage is not one of them.

If someone comes to this site to get information or opinions on a CI, do not give them false information. If you do not like them..... fine. say so.
If you say things that are not true, eventually, you will loose credibility and no one will llisten to anything you have to say. Also you run the risk of making this forum less credible.
You people with your lies, false statemnets and bias are only hurting yourself in the long run. The more REAL information gets out, the more you look like a joke.

Leeza, I am not aware of any information that suggests getting a C.I. will decrease your intelligence. As someone else said, it will probable increase your IQ due to developing/improving another form of communication.
If you are interseted in discussing this further, please let me know. My computer is currently not working, so it may take a while but I will get back with you.

Volcomskatz, The only statement you made that was remotely correct was the when you mentioned maningitus, there is an incresaed risk. For the first month or so following surgery, the risk is elevated. Following that, the risk is lowered. It is just a tiny bit higher than someone without a C.I.
The month or two following surgery is risker than the rest because the implant is new to your body. There is a chance your body may reconnize that there is a foriegn object in your head and attack it. The longer you go without getting meningitus, the smaller the risk of getting it.

As far as I.Q. is concerned, I do not see how a CI can affect your intelligence. The CI never contacts your brain. Nothing ever goes through the skull. The entire implant stays between the skull and skin, with the exception of the wire that goes into your cochlea. And that does not go through your skull. A hole is drill into the mastoid bone and the wire is threaded through that. It then goes into your cochlea.
As far as someone being made "retarded". That is flat out wrong. There is not a single documented case of someone reciving brain damage from a CI. Are there risks? Of course. But brain damage is not one of them.

If someone comes to this site to get information or opinions on a CI, do not give them false information. If you do not like them..... fine. say so.
If you say things that are not true, eventually, you will loose credibility and no one will llisten to anything you have to say. Also you run the risk of making this forum less credible.
You people with your lies, false statemnets and bias are only hurting yourself in the long run. The more REAL information gets out, the more you look like a joke.

:gpost: I agree!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back