Cochlear implant surgery is Safe!!

Er...sorry. Rather we need to agree to disagree and move on. This subject has been argued for years and none the wiser all said and done.

Bottomline - Each parent is responsible for the well being of their children. All of us may not agree with what some parents have done. But none of us have the right to dictate to others what they will or will not do. I have enough on my hands just raising my two kids and I don't have the time or energy to raise everybody else's.

Amen!

I think that the comparision to vaccinations is the most valid. A shot can cause permanent damage, even death. Why do parents do it? Because they believe that it is useful in the long run. Will the child get the disease without the shot? Most likely not. And if they do, will they die? Probably not. So why risk death??

......................Want to break it down to a Deaf person and justify your actions? Use an example from their world that others may find a problem with in their own culture. In the Deaf world, that would be the question of blindness.

Hearing people consider deafness as a disability and a hindrance in learning. Deaf people don't, but they consider blindness as a disability and a hindrance.......
OK. lets use your example. You have a child that is blind and opt for an eye implant or surgury or whatever is availabe to restore vision to your child. Would you think anyone is justified in telling you that you should not go through with it when you believe it is in the best interest of your child? Would it be anyones right to interfere with your decision? Would it be right for anyone to tell you that the reasons you are trying to restore your childs vision is because you don't accept your child for who they are when in fact they have no idea what went into the decision making process? Would it be right for the culturally blind to reject your child because you chose to get eye surgury? The real question is does anyone have the right to interfere with ANY decision a parent makes in the best interest of their child?

The other thing you have to remember is that not all deaf folks are "culturally deaf" And even within the deaf culture there are extremie to liberal views just as their are in any culture. Not all deaf people agree with the D/deaf extreme or ultra-consertive views.

rockdrummer,

I know I'm going off topic here, but I wanted to make a slight correction if you don't mind. In the blind community, there is no such thing as being "culturally blind." People like myself who were born blind are referred to as congenitally blind. Just thought I'd point that out for anyone who may be curious. The only exception I believe would be children who are born deafblind. Since they do not have any residual hearing (or very little) and/or are totally blind or have low vision, they could be considered culturally deaf. If I'm wrong about the latter statement, I hope someone will correct me. On a final note, I apologize for going off topic and hope that my correction didn't offend you rockdrummer.

rockdrummer,

I know I'm going off topic here, but I wanted to make a slight correction if you don't mind. In the blind community, there is no such thing as being "culturally blind." People like myself who were born blind are referred to as congenitally blind. Just thought I'd point that out for anyone who may be curious. The only exception I believe would be children who are born deafblind. Since they do not have any residual hearing (or very little) and/or are totally blind or have low vision, they could be considered culturally deaf. If I'm wrong about the latter statement, I hope someone will correct me. On a final note, I apologize for going off topic and hope that my correction didn't offend you rockdrummer.
Understood Hear Again and thanks for pointing that out. I used that just for the sake of argument but I do understand what you are saying. There is no "blind culture" per se.

Understood Hear Again and thanks for pointing that out. I used that just for the sake of argument but I do understand what you are saying. There is no "blind culture" per se.

Sometimes I read a little too much into people's posts, so I appreciate the clarification. :)

But the removal of a CI requires surgery doesnt it? That's the whole point.
he made the comparison to eye surgury and said the CI is permanent. Yes they both require surgury but the CI is not permanent because it can be removed. Eye surgury on the other hand is permenant.

Argh, I don't really want to argue if CI or eye surgeries are right. I am just saying stop comparing knowledge to medical. I means if I am actually anti-CI, I wouldn't had handed you a hot-button issue (curing/fixing blindness) within the deaf world to better support your own arguments.

And yes, Rick, you are trying to "justify" things. Why? You are trying to invalidate other people's points' that means you are trying to justify your position in the debate. If you weren't trying to discard other people's comments, then you are not debating; because you are doing that, you are trying to justify your own position. Simple as that.

Make a statement, then you are just having an opinion: no more; no less. Trying to discredit other people, on the other hand, is justifying your position in a debate.

I wouldn't say vaccination is the proper comparison as well because the majority of people--both hearing and deaf, vaccinate their own children.

And actually, while the implants can be removed-- the effects are permanent, even without complications listed under "surgical risks," it is even acknowledged on the FDA's website.

Benefits and Risks of Cochlear Implants

FDA said:
May lose residual hearing. The implant may destroy any remaining hearing in the implanted ear.

FDA said:
Will have to use it for the rest of life. During a person's lifetime, the manufacturer of the cochlear implant could go out of business. Whether a person will be able to get replacement parts or other customer service in the future is uncertain.

Try again.

I won't answer the question in post #83, because that is not in the realm of cultural or medical debate, but purely a religious or philosophical one. We are not suppose to talk about religions on the forum, nor is it appropriate for a debate; and in philosophical debates, they usually go nowhere on forums.

Now on the topic of "blind culture," there is a bit of a iffy thing about that. I have known people who claim "blind culture" in the CNIB. The problem is that the reason why we don't see it is because there is no language barrier so we don't see a rapid development of it. Before, I used to argue that "blind culture" was simply an art or literary expression found in sculptures, paintings, writings and so on. However I have found out by going to the events that there is a philosophical side to it as well; not to mention their own set of social norms (or courtesy and behaviour.)

So I will agree there is no "culturally blind" person, but "blind culture" is vague in itself. However there are people in the blind world that find the whole affairs offensive.

All i am saying is-- when you debate, use the proper examples. I loathe it when the CI debates boil down to so-called "forcing" knowledge and education.

Argh, I don't really want to argue if CI or eye surgeries are right. I am just saying stop comparing knowledge to medical. I means if I am actually anti-CI, I wouldn't had handed you a hot-button issue (curing/fixing blindness) within the deaf world to better support your own arguments.

And yes, Rick, you are trying to "justify" things. Why? You are trying to invalidate other people's points' that means you are trying to justify your position in the debate. If you weren't trying to discard other people's comments, then you are not debating; because you are doing that, you are trying to justify your own position. Simple as that.

Make a statement, then you are just having an opinion: no more; no less. Trying to discredit other people, on the other hand, is justifying your position in a debate.

I wouldn't say vaccination is the proper comparison as well because the majority of people--both hearing and deaf, vaccinate their own children.

And actually, while the implants can be removed-- the effects are permanent, even without complications listed under "surgical risks," it is even acknowledged on the FDA's website.

Benefits and Risks of Cochlear Implants

Try again.

I won't answer the question in post #83, because that is not in the realm of cultural or medical debate, but purely a religious or philosophical one. We are not suppose to talk about religions on the forum, nor is it appropriate for a debate; and in philosophical debates, they usually go nowhere on forums.

Now on the topic of "blind culture," there is a bit of a iffy thing about that. I have known people who claim "blind culture" in the CNIB. The problem is that the reason why we don't see it is because there is no language barrier so we don't see a rapid development of it. Before, I used to argue that "blind culture" was simply an art or literary expression found in sculptures, paintings, writings and so on. However I have found out by going to the events that there is a philosophical side to it as well; not to mention their own set of social norms (or courtesy and behaviour.)

So I will agree there is no "culturally blind" person, but "blind culture" is vague in itself. However there are people in the blind world that find the whole affairs offensive.

All i am saying is-- when you debate, use the proper examples. I loathe it when the CI debates boil down to so-called "forcing" knowledge and education.

Very bizarre twisted logic. Sorry, but engaging in a discussion regarding the rights of all parents to make decisions on behalf of their child is not an attempt at justifying our personal cochlear implant decision for our child. That decision is not open for debate for that would imply that your opinion, or anyone else's for that matter, regarding our personal decision for our child has any value or validity to us and it does not.

It does not surprise me at all that you refuse to answer Rockdrummer's questions.

Not semantics. Geez. What you are dealing with here is a conflict between two completely different worlds. When you recognize that deaf people are not the same as hearing people, no matter what technology they get or how well one hear, then maybe you can defend your point of view better.

No. You as a hearing parent, keep expecting the culturally Deaf to see things YOUR way. That does not work since they don't think like a hearing person. To a Deaf person, we don't see why kids should be implanted, but hearing people do.

Want to break it down to a Deaf person and justify your actions? Use an example from their world that others may find a problem with in their own culture. In the Deaf world, that would be the question of blindness.

Hearing people consider deafness as a disability and a hindrance in learning. Deaf people don't, but they consider blindness as a disability and a hindrance.

Want to argue with a Deaf person, think like a Deaf person. We understand where you are coming from, but only in a limited scope. I keep handing you the tool to strengthen your own argument, yet you refuse to accept it.

:gpost: :gpost: :gpost:

I used to think like a hearing person before I learned ASL and got involved with the Deaf community at the age of 25 years old. So, I know what you mean.

You guys please STOP IT!!!!! I am tired of it! Please stay on the TOPIC!!!!!

Everything in life is "forced" upon babies. We "force" our languages on them. We "force" them to eat what is good for them. We "force" them to gets shots. Many "force" their boys to be circumcised. We "force" them to go to school. We "force" them to follow rules. Many here advocated "forcing" a young deaf child to continue to wear hearing aids.

How can you "force" you child to do some of these things? Because it is for their own good in the future. So is the implant. Parents MUST take responsibilty and make decisions for their children, and that means doing what they believe is best for them in the long run.

But that "forcing" is different from what you described. This is putting a baby through surgery that isnt life-saving. That's how many people see it. The surgery aspect of it....

so in other words, shel's saying they see it as a rescue from the deaf (dead) world

(sighing) I am tired of members keep saying CI is not life-saving during operative. This is minor risk during surgery. The non-CI people know NOTHING about CI's surgeon. The important is get Vaccination for anti-bacterial and meningitis in 2 weeks before surgery. You don't have to worry about it.

I'm not impress with the lady from YouTube sn is Agaubo's Vlog about FDA: Shocking results on cochlear implant stats. She is WRONG!!!! I talked with my doctors, audiologist and medical expert about success rate for CI. They showed me the facts. I have the links on my blog website. I am not sharing with anti-CI people. Because they are very narrow-mind about CI. I'm sorry!

(sighing) I am tired of members keep saying CI is not life-saving during operative. This is minor risk during surgery. The non-CI people know NOTHING about CI's surgeon. The important is get Vaccination for anti-bacterial and meningitis in 2 weeks before surgery. You don't have to worry about it.

I'm not impress with the lady from YouTube sn is Agaubo's Vlog about FDA: Shocking results on cochlear implant stats. She is WRONG!!!! I talked with my doctors, audiologist and medical expert about success rate for CI. They showed me the facts. I have the links on my blog website. I am not sharing with anti-CI people. Because they are very narrow-mind about CI. I'm sorry!

What about the children who have died from complications from the surgery? Some people do actually care..doesnt make them narrow-minded.

And I have every right to express my concerns just as everyone else is entitled to share their views. I dont see a CI surgery as a life-saving neccessary surgery.

What about the children who have died from complications from the surgery? Some people do actually care..doesnt make them narrow-minded.

And I have every right to express my concerns just as everyone else is entitled to share their views. I dont see a CI surgery as a life-saving neccessary surgery.

I never hear of children died from CI surgery. Where did you hear it from?? Show me the link.

My third cousin had CI surgery 3 times. He is fine and still alive. Because He took vaccination before surgery.

I never hear of children died from CI surgery. Where did you hear it from?? Show me the link.

My third cousin had CI surgery 3 times. He is fine and still alive. Because He took vaccination before surgery.

There was a thread about it here a few years ago. It is somewhere in the CI section. The girl died from bacterial mengities from the surgery or something like that. She was only 8 years old.

surgery is still a huge risk even if its small or big. anything is possible. thats why hospital gives the form to sign the medical forms not to sue for many reasons.

Back