Cochlear implant surgery is Safe!!

All forms of surgery carry a calculated risk. It is up to the individual if they want to take that risk with CI or any other borderline elective surgery. There's no health risk to being deaf.

Yes, It's safe for CI surgery. But it's risk during operation. It will get recovery as well. I had no problem with surgery. My ENT doctor did good job because he have had experience with CI surgery for 300 t0 400 patients.

Surgery is always a risk. Why do you think that the dr and hospital require you to sign a form that says you are aware that you could die? Anaesthesia has risks. IMHO, The anasthesialogist is the most important person in the OR. Each procedure has risks. Blood clotting risks. Secondary infection risks. Resistant hospital infections are risks. Certain individuals have medical conditions that have risks associated with surgery.

A risk may be small but when it happens to you that doesn't matter. It sucks to be that one person who suffers.

We all weigh the benefits and risks and make the decision that we believe is the best for us. No one can make that decision for us. We shouldn't judge someone's decision because it's based on their individual case.

Surgery is always a risk. Why do you think that the dr and hospital require you to sign a form that says you are aware that you could die? Anaesthesia has risks. IMHO, The anasthesialogist is the most important person in the OR. Each procedure has risks. Blood clotting risks. Secondary infection risks. Resistant hospital infections are risks. Certain individuals have medical conditions that have risks associated with surgery.

A risk may be small but when it happens to you that doesn't matter. It sucks to be that one person who suffers.

We all weigh the benefits and risks and make the decision that we believe is the best for us. No one can make that decision for us. We shouldn't judge someone's decision because it's based on their individual case.

Yep. My CI doctor refused to operate on me unless I had my diabetes under control. He's diabetic himself.

Hope that you've got it under control now! Healing wounds are an issue for you. Take good care of yourself!

Theres no such thing as safe surgery! One big reason im getting stem cells instead of CI is to avoid surgery. I suggest you read my blog(link in sig) to learn more. Comments? Post that in my blog and ill answer.

I am so scared of surgery. I had a tympanomastoidectomy to save my life, to remove a type of tumor (cholesteatoma) from my ear. It had grown into the skull's brain pan area. Yet, it took years to choose the time for surgery because the Drs knew that any surgery - especially into the head, is very serious. When the Drs said it was time, I was relieved, even though I would be deaf.

If someone wants CI, good. No, not me, even if I were a candidate, which I am not. There is a new type of prostetic that can be placed into the area that was removed, some small bones. I am quite pleased to be deaf. Deafness does not threaten my life. Maybe if I were younger, etc, it would be different.

But yes, surgery is very serious. I do everything to avoid it. I will support a person's right to choose CI for themself, but hope we never have the right to force it on others. It would be scary if some stateman or politician or medical board said all must be "fixed".

Last edited:
I am so scared of surgery. I had a tympanomastoidectomy to save my life, to remove a type of tumor (cholesteatoma) from my ear. It had grown into the skull's brain pan area. Yet, it took years to choose the time for surgery because the Drs knew that any surgery - especially into the head, is very serious. When the Drs said it was time, I was relieved, even though I would be deaf.

If someone wants CI, good. No, not me, even if I were a candidate, which I am not. There is a new type of prostetic that can be placed into the area that was removed, some small bones. I am quite pleased to be deaf. Deafness does not threaten my life. Maybe if I were younger, etc, it would be different.

But yes, surgery is very serious. I do everything to avoid it. I will support a person's right to choose CI for themself, but hope we never have the right to force it on others. It would be scary if some stateman or politician or medical board said all must be "fixed".

It is already happening when children and babies undergo this surgery. Is that what you mean?

It is already happening when children and babies undergo this surgery. Is that what you mean?

No, but it is a good point.

I was thinking more of governments, insurance companies and marketing firms.

I have also read of past Deaf history. Decisions being made FOR people, not by themselves. Deaf being treated as if someone deaf needed to be cared for, as if there was something wrong with being deaf.

Wow, kinda like you just pointed out....wow.... what an eye opener.....

This is why I, my dad, one of my audiologist and some of my friends don't believe in CI and suggest I wait for safer alternatives to improve my hearing. The wait will be over in as little as two years! CI is being forced on children and babies today. I would never force CI on anyone. Better not to hear than to risk serious surgery as you said. How well do you hear with HAs? Most people who seek CI get some ability to hear with HAs and 25% would get enough ability with proper HAs not to qualify for CI, yet fail to try proper HAs and get CI! I know it's their choice but gee, not making the effort to try more than one or two different HAs? :roll:

Dr. Herzog

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyKlmuwQIQE&feature=PlayList&p=2537FD02F393C786&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=10]YouTube - Cochlear Implant Surgery on Infants[/ame]

Little Girl

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dATIppAb7bM]YouTube - Breaking the Silence: Hannah and her cochlear implant[/ame]

With has I cant make out the difference between the words juice or shoes. I just try to follow what I can. I hear some, like deep thunder, deep growls, of all things....bumblebees, the BIG ones... some vowels, few consonants, I do a little better with some things with ALD, but absolutely no phone with that. (I love my netbook) That is, if I dont have any irritation or infection. In that case not much.

oh, gee, that kid video is so disturbing. The parents talk about a lack of communication and the child seems to be signing well,enjoying things. The mom talks about how it was frustrating for the child... duh...that was very, very, well, disturbing.

Even the video stated that it was MAJOR surgery. shiver....

Besides all the risks associated with any surgery, it is extremely wrong to consider surgery a big risk by itself. Modern medicine is
Many people are scared about the simplest of the surgery (and CI nowaday is pretty simple), but get tons of pills of any kind... The risk they are facing is far worse than a surgery. I've met a lot of these people...

Gasp - on infants - omg........

Oh yea...some of my students have had their CIs since they were infants. Some work and some dont. It is the same with hearing aids ..some work and some dont work.

Oh yea...some of my students have had their CIs since they were infants. Some work and some dont. It is the same with hearing aids ..some work and some dont work.

When did they get CI? The older CIs(before year 2000) were nowhere as good. Did their CI ever work or give any usable hearing at one time then stopped working? All hearing aids work as long as you have some residual hearing!

Back